Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: God Eater: Monster hunting, now with more animu  (Read 5357 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
God Eater: Monster hunting, now with more animu
« on: August 30, 2016, 11:57:16 pm »

God Eater 2 Rage Burst's English release just came out yesterday on PS4/Vita and Steam after a surprisingly aggressive online advertisement campaign by Bandai, along with the remake of the first game called God Eater Resurrection recently coming out on the same systems. Anyone else have them?

I saw it mentioned by a couple people on the forum and thought a thread would be nice to have in case we have enough people on compatible systems to make hunting parties. I've got the Vita version which has crossplay with the PS4 version.

For those not in the know, it's essentially post-apocalyptic Monster Hunter with a full sized storyline along with the anime dial turned up to eleven.

The game takes place in a post-apocalyptic future where the world has been taken over by these omni-devouring monsters called Aragami that adapt to take on forms based on what they consume (resulting in monsters that range from your average oversized wolf dragon thingy to this unholy fusion of tank and centaur). Due to the Aragami's properties the only people capable of fighting against them are the God Eaters, people who have been enhanced and linked with oversized weapons called God Arcs made from the extracted cores of defeated Aragami.

Gameplay wise it's pretty similar to Monster Hunter, but with a heavy emphasis on dashing for fast paced combat, and your primary weapon has the ability to shift between a gun form and a melee weapon form. In melee form you can use the devour command to turn your God Arc into a enormous set of jaws that consume bite-fulls of your enemies to power yourself up and collect special ammo that copies their powers, and can then in gun form also send parts of your power up meter to teammates via shooting it to them. The other standout mechanic is that players can design their own ammo for their guns via a simple programming system that allows you to create anything from healing lasers, to sticky bombs, to shots that fly up and turn into a small turret, to even shots that explode into the shape of a mickey mouse head if you want.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:03:28 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: God Eater: Monster hunting, now with more animu
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 12:03:19 am »

I have 'em, and it might be worth buying (and grabbing a controller for) because every purchase of GE2RB comes with the first game in tow apparently.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 12:19:31 am »

Monster Hunter is about as anime as it gets before I start to vomit. Turning it "up to eleven" just sounds terrible to me. But, I do like Monster Hunter...
But but, what the hell is that girl in the back/left wearing?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 01:27:06 am »

I actually find it funny the actual excuse they created as to why ONLY god eaters can fight them :P

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 03:29:09 am »

Modern version of bikini armor.  Top grade armor!
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 04:04:16 am »

Modern version of bikini armor.  Top grade armor!

In all fairness... Armor is pretty much useless... So it is all pretty much cosmetic.

And there is a reason why they don't shred their knees.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 07:00:59 am »

I actually find it funny the actual excuse they created as to why ONLY god eaters can fight them :P
But if god eaters need to connect to weapons made from beasts, then how was the first beastie killed? o_O
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 07:09:49 am »

But but, what the hell is that girl in the back/left wearing?

Not enough. And apparently she styles her hair into cat ears so... Yeah. Anime up to 11.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 07:13:54 am »

See, I like the kind of Very Anime that's in Metal Gear Rising REVENGEANCE, but I don't care for dumb sexual stuff.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 07:16:37 am »

Kinda look like it's not female to begin with, tbh. Might just be the brightness on my screen, I'unno.
But if god eaters need to connect to weapons made from beasts, then how was the first beastie killed? o_O
Scavenging, probably. Harvested the corpse of one that something else killed. Alternately, a lot of people died shaving off some chunks of one and then playing Death Keepaway long enough to get away with the prize. Or time travel, I guess. The first was killed by eaters from the future.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 07:22:12 am »

Kinda look like it's not female to begin with, tbh. Might just be the brightness on my screen, I'unno.
Actually, yeah, looks kinda like a shirtless dude.

Also, it occurs to me that if your skin is already tougher than the hardest armor, what clothes you want to wear will depend more on comfort and flexibility than protective value.
Nude monster hunters when.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:25:48 am by Egan_BW »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 07:41:05 am »

Scavenging, probably. Harvested the corpse of one that something else killed. Alternately, a lot of people died shaving off some chunks of one and then playing Death Keepaway long enough to get away with the prize. Or time travel, I guess. The first was killed by eaters from the future.

Specifically the monsters in this setting adapt too quickly to be affected by conventional weaponry and thus either become highly resistant, immune, and/or regenerate almost instantly.

The weapons "adapt" instantly to what they are attacking and cause lasting damage.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 07:51:43 am »

Actually, yeah, looks kinda like a shirtless dude.

That might be from the brightness of your screen or the angle of the character in the image. Either way, I can confirm that they are definitely a skankily scantily-clad, very animu girl. Who is of course 17, because animu. Goddamn it, God Eater. At least give the underage girl a proper shirt or something. Geez.

EDIT: Apparently she gets a much more appropiate outfit at some point? Though to be fair, most outfits would be more appropiate than her default one. This one isn't the best, but at least she has a proper shirt now.

Nude monster hunters when.

Soon, probably. Some of these characters are not wearing much to begin with, if you haven't noticed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:56:54 am by USEC_OFFICER »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 07:54:32 am »

Eh, from the angle in the picture, I think it possible to go either way.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 07:59:21 am »

Eh, from the angle in the picture, I think it possible to go either way.

Yeah, I can see that. This is very animu after all. Having a shirtless guy in short-shorts and pink clothing wouldn't be out of place in the game. Either way it's not the best character design.
Pages: [1] 2