Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27

Author Topic: King under the Mountain - Fantasy simulation-based strategy  (Read 60733 times)

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile
    • King under the Mountain

Happy to be able to finally show off hauling of resources :) I felt it was important to get the characters to be shown to carry the items around to give it that same feeling as the classic Settlers games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwlWfoQfjwU

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Looking really good!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Thanks Mephansteras :) Should be a lot more updates in December than there has been recently to look forward to!

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Spent this weekend (hopefully) ironing out the last bugs with hauling resources. Onto implementing workshops for crafting next!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

ugh

It looks just like Rimworld and Prison Architect before that.

What is the appeal of this style of character sprite?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ugh

It looks just like Rimworld and Prison Architect before that.

What is the appeal of this style of character sprite?

It makes various important features of the pawns easily communicable and it doesn't require a lot of animation work. That's kind of like asking why every 16-bit platformer looked the same in the 90's. It mostly came down to people finding a working solution for the situation.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile

To put it simply, it requires less resources.  Which in a game as complex as KutM is looking to be, is a good thing.  You can have many more characters, many more tasks, and a far greater 'reach' by using less.  Plus, it's far easier to mod how characters look when they don't require much more than the art sheets to be done for them.  Variety is the spice of life, as they say.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Absolutely, it just wouldn't be feasible to have the amount or variety of character styles I'm aiming at if they had walking animations. It does help with modding too, anyone can just drop in a few images and the game will use them, rather than having to animate a 2d sprite or 3d skeleton. Props to the guys at Introversion for coming up with it, it's a great fit for the genre and I expect we'll be seeing more games using it in the near future.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Wow, images for diagonal movement.

This is revolutionary for Bay12 :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Wow, images for diagonal movement.

This is revolutionary for Bay12 :P

Haha, yep, only when I first started looking for a sprite artist did I realise that Rimworld uses 4 directions of movement, and Prison Architect has 6 directions (as I've copied here). I came around to realising that the simplified cartoony style of the game shares a lot of similarities with how characters are drawn in comic strips - and in a comic strip a character facing to the side isn't drawn completely side-on, but at a half-rotated angle like this. I think it gives a much better look than with 4 directions of "animation", and it's worth the extra costs in time and assets.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks great!

One step I'd really like you to take at some point (I'm sure there are more important things first) is to add in the actual frames between the movements. It'd look so, so smooth and really notch it up a level above/differentiate it from Rimworld/PA without a huge amount of work.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Looks great!

One step I'd really like you to take at some point (I'm sure there are more important things first) is to add in the actual frames between the movements. It'd look so, so smooth and really notch it up a level above/differentiate it from Rimworld/PA without a huge amount of work.

Thanks Retropunch! I'm not completely sure what you mean by the extra frames here - do you mean more orientations for the characters to face as they turn around? It'd simply be too costly in terms of artist workload and assets at this point (as I'm not an artist). Currently each outfit/profession has a different set of clothing for each body shape (there's 3 each for male and female dwarves), which in turn need art assets for each of the 6 directions currently (though most mirror the left-right assets so it's usually 4 different directions in actual assets). That's 24 different assets for each of a couple of dozen professions that are in development currently, so around ~450 different assets just for clothing currently, that'll likely double by release, and that's just for dwarves. A couple more frames or orientations would double that figure, and for that cost I'd rather include more content in terms of other races with their own unique assets and style.

There's also a perfomance consideration in that these hundreds of assets end up being stored in a single sprite sheet, which is one of the reasons the game happily runs at a smooth 60fps. Adding a lot more assets would mean the sprite sheet is too large to be loaded as a single texture, and I'd have to think about how to optimise rendering and layout for switching between multiple sprite sheets. The more you know!

All that being said, the game is extremely mod-friendly, so if some brave modder wanted to add in more orientations for each character, it'll certainly be possible. Alternatively what you're thinking about would probably be better implemented as simplified 3D models (picture something like Warcraft 3), but that's way outside of scope already :)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-

Yeah, I just meant sort of interim orientations between each direction change so it'd look like they were actually turning.

Certainly this would be for way, way, way down the line, but I think it'd add a lot of visual flair if you did get the time/resource to do so. As you said, this might be better tackled by modders.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Yeah, there's always the hope that the game is wildly successful to allow for these kind of things in the budget. As you've said, it's probably very far down the priority list, probably so far down that there's always going to be more valuable things I'd like to get done for the same cost. I'll definitely be making sure it's easily moddable :D

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

PTW
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27