Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27

Author Topic: King under the Mountain - Fantasy simulation-based strategy  (Read 60491 times)

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are 2D games that need beefy PC, but 3D will always be more taxing on your PC than 2D of the same level of quality.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So...to sum up this conversation:

"Please make it so that graphically computational operations can be turned off as an option, if possible, so that players with older machines have a better shot at playing this game."

Have I got that right?

More or less yes. I think the games should be optimized as best as possible and have as many options as possible. I disagree with notion  that devs should not worry about optimizing their games, as I think that is very important.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

"Please make it so that graphically computational operations can be turned off as an option, if possible, so that players with older machines have a better shot at playing this game."

Have I got that right?

More or less yes. I think the game should be optimized good and have as many options as possible. I disagree with notion  that dev should not worry about optimizing his game, as I think that is very important.

I don't think anyone was arguing against optimization, I think people were arguing against features not being included simply because it would preclude some older PCs playing the game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have I got that right?

More or less yes. I think the game should be optimized good and have as many options as possible. I disagree with notion  that dev should not worry about optimizing his game, as I think that is very important.

I don't think anyone was arguing against optimization, I think people were arguing against features not being included simply because it would preclude some older PCs playing the game.

I dont know, I get a different impression from this part of the post

I also wouldn't worry too much about optimising this too much for people with really rubbish systems. Whilst you shouldn't need a powerful PC to play it, I'm sick to the back teeth of people saying 'why can't I play this 2017 game on my Pentium II!'

Also any visual eye candy feature that is heavy on your PC should be a option. Especially if it's there only for the looks.

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile
    • King under the Mountain

Have I got that right?

Thanks Mephansteras, yep that's it and yes the graphics are already more configurable than they probably need to be. Taking the fancy lighting out is most of the current fps cost.

But also, yeah there's lots and lots of non graphical calculations to make in any game, particularly this genre.

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Possibly also worth pointing out that I don't plan to put many, or any at all, features in for eye candy that don't feed back into the gameplay in some way. Even if it's only for happiness from being in a dark or light room, the lighting will affect the game / simulation in some way. Probably also in terms of where critters or cave monsters lurk.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dont know, I get a different impression from this part of the post

That's exactly what I was saying - I'm all for optimisation and options, but only when it isn't costly development wise. 

If it's easy for devs to make dynamic lighting an option, then I'm all for it. What I am VERY against, is a developer feeling they can't put in certain features/eye candy just because someone with a 10 year old laptop can't play it.

More than that, if there's 'eye candy' that the developer feels is critical to making the game look like their vision, then they shouldn't be moaned at for putting it in or designing the game around it. Take the game Limbo - it's technically a 2D basic platformer with extremely basic mechanics, but the whole thing revolves around the atmosphere and aesthetic - you couldn't achieve that with mario like static sprites.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

An important update today - here's the first look at crafting, with workbenches using resources (logs and rough stone here) to produce some intermediary products (planks and stone blocks) to be used in further crafting and construction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxTfYgcEDCo

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Further update for this weekend, here's the first look at constructing doors! Only single tile doors for now, larger ones to come later :0 Pretty happy with how they work with the lighting engine, but there's still improvements to be made!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAvMzruz5HI

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

The progress you're making is unreal. The game is looking amazing.

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

The progress you're making is unreal. The game is looking amazing.

Thanks! Out of necessity I've been able to devote more free time than usual to the development and its reaping the benefits. With a successful Kickstarter development should be even more rapid :)

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

http://mjoshua.com is now editing the first trailer for King under the Mountain live on Twitch at

https://www.twitch.tv/mjoshuac

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

If you missed the trailer editing stream yesterday (or had problems with the streaming quality) you can now view it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoXzT9AZVI

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Just dropping in to say the latest dev update is now live at http://www.indiedb.com/games/king-under-the-mountain/news/king-under-the-mountain-february-update

And this has temporarily pushed the game to #6 in popularity on IndieDB! Very happy :)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Excellent!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27