Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27

Author Topic: King under the Mountain - Fantasy simulation-based strategy  (Read 60077 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

PTW
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile
    • King under the Mountain

The name King Under the Mountain could get you into trouble with the Tolkien legates sueing you. I'd recommend changing it.
I believe Tome4 dev had to change the name from troubles of Middle earth to tales of Maj' Ejal for that same reason. It seems the (great-?) grandchildren of Tolkien aren't very nice folks when it comes to protecting their legacy.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/King_under_the_Mountain
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/King_under_the_Mountain

For the rest: Even though I've grown very skeptical of df light clones, I must say your art looks nice. Try to focus not on resembling DF as much as you can, but try to create your own unique game. Play evil, dungeon keeper style is a good theme though. Perhaps make that the game's main focus rather than orcs and dwarves?

Appreciate the advice although I've decided to stick with the name - unlike "Middle Earth" there's a lot of prior art of "King under the Mountain" or "King in the Mountain" as a scandinavian folklore tale, much in the same way as we get our basic concepts of dwarves from. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_in_the_mountain I am aware of how litigious the Tolkein estate is but this isn't a term Tolkein came up with.

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Is there any possibility of a built-in 3D renderer? I find that building forts is always more satisfying when I can visualize them in all their 3D glory!

I'd doubt it, adding extra features will almost certainly come before doing this - although Prison Architect eventually added one so never say never ;)

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Another place you could go with the DF-like is a game that tries to capture the full 3d glory of huge halls and sprawling caverns that we see in Moria and the Lonely Mountain in the LOTR films. Dwarf Fortress's underground features don't quite lend themselves to massive scale interior scupting yet, and most other games don't have multiple z-levels or require you to dig everything out.

Although I won't be going into full 3D or Z-levels, I've written the map generator to have a tendency to create huge underground caverns within the mountain, ready for extra fun stuff to be added and discovered :D

You can try out an earlier version in your browser at http://mapgen.kingunderthemounta.in/ (it will struggle on a mobile though)

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Less to show off a bit recently as I've been rejigging how the engine subsystems communicate with each other.

There has been more work done with the designating orders as you can see in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3BXkNV6Xlc

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good luck, dude c:

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Cool. I'm always open to more ideas like this, since every once in a while a gem like RimWorld shows up.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I am hesitant about the trees, though. The perspective is way off from everything else and they really obscure a lot of the game world.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Yeah I'm wondering if the should at least become transparent near the cursor. Once more of it is in place I'll be reviewing it and setting what needs changing, everything could be counted as placeholder for now. Thanks for the feedback! 

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I mean, there are basically two standards. One's to just have them seen from directly above (while being impassable) as you see in DF &c. so that you can clearly distinguish everything; the other is the ToME style, having them be side-on like that but also making the sprites block movement on their tiles with maybe a tiny bit of overlap. In the case of the latter, pretty much everything is slanted at the same angle, though, which doesn't really mesh well with the top-down view that games like this tend to require if they're not going to be utter headaches to eyeball distances in.

There are some games like Elona+ where trees do work like you have them, but those are generally tick-based and cede direct control of the character to the player so there's not really that same degree of "goddamn it where's my guy" when you can just tap right or left a couple times. More importantly, pretty much every game that has that (at least for me) ends up with the sole memorable type of tree-related interaction or thought being "oh hell, which tree am I behind?" rather than anything positive.

I mean, it can work, but I'd suggest something like finding/making/altering tree sprites so that they're a bit more limited in their coverage of background tiles. I can say right now that if I were to play that I'd just start straight off by deforesting the map, both so that I didn't have to hunt down my dudes and to make an open kill-zone that enemies couldn't wander through half-invisibly. They don't have to be to scale to convey what they need to, as Rimworld showed--those trees are, what a tile of trunk and a tile and a half of concealing foliage?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

I've actually been intending to have every type of a tree's trunk block movement but haven't got around to updating the pathfinding yet.

Thanks, that all helps, I've been thinking the same that if anything was hiding in the forest I'd be planning to deforest it too. They've definitely ended up covering more tiles than I wanted them to so it's all up for review :)

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks pretty good, better than I was expecting from the topic title.

And to be honest, I'd change the title if I were you.  You don't even call if a DF-like, you literally call if a graphical dwarf fortress, which it obviously isn't (Thank goodness for that).  We're on the DF boards, king under the mountain is already pretty evocative, yet your topic title is just name dropping two different games. 

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Looks pretty good, better than I was expecting from the topic title.

And to be honest, I'd change the title if I were you.  You don't even call if a DF-like, you literally call if a graphical dwarf fortress, which it obviously isn't (Thank goodness for that).  We're on the DF boards, king under the mountain is already pretty evocative, yet your topic title is just name dropping two different games.

Thanks for the feedback! I realise I've probably gone too far with describing the game as so similar to DF, it's aiming to be a mix of multiple games with some special ingredients added too of course. I'll see what I can come up with, though I'm open to suggestions.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Sounds better than I was thinking from the title.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I'm open to suggestions.

Your game is doomed to irrelevancy if you don't ride the VR wave!  And you should include a rhythm game element for extra innovation points.  Who would have ever thought to combine these genres?!  But Zsinj makes it work like it was meant to be!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27