Other Projects > Other Games

King under the Mountain - Fantasy simulation-based strategy

<< < (2/81) > >>

Zsinj:
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys - in response no it doesn't actually have to be dwarves, I was probably playing up the DF similarities for the benefit of the audience here. I was originally drawn to Dwarf Fortress about 10 years back as part of the hunt for a worthy successor to Dungeon Keeper (and what I found was a lot more than that!). The whole "be the bad guy" vibe really struck a chord with me and it's something I'm aiming to recapture. While I'm initially focusing on dwarves as the first playable race (mostly for people's familiarity), I plan to branch out into other races with their own gameplay mechanics and features. While I'm aiming at an initial release of dwarves, humans and orcs, what I'd really like to do is push it further than that and have the following "races":

* Play as a lone wizard building a "tower" or secret lair to conduct your magical research, using constructs such as golems and summoned familiars to do most of the grunt work
* Play as a necromancer researching the secrets of immortality - raise your minions from dead and you don't need to worry about feeding them, but they'll have their own maintenance issues to deal with
* Play as a dragon amassing a hoard of treasure deep in the mountain, with an army of loyal kobolds to do your bidding
* Play as an invasion of demons (think Dungeon Keeper minions and playstyle) secretly building up your power base or else fending off parties of adventuring heroesI'm wary of letting these ideas bloat out to too much scope creep, but this is the rough long-term plan for what the game will end up involving.

Silverthrone:
Lookin' good. Lookin' very good indeed.

To be frank, "DF but accessible"-games don't tend to be very engaging projects, but I think this might be an exception. I haven't seen much, but your game seems to catch a lot of the same spirit of DF. And extra credit where it's due with the early emphasis on modding potential.

Don't worry too much about originality, do what you do and do it well. Traditional aesthetics keeps engaging for good reason. There's more elbow room for more novel fancies later, with a sturdy framework. Take it in good time.

It's a really nice art style, by the way. Nice and colourful, and it compliments the setting.

EDIT: All of those things sounds lovely. And I like that you try to avoid the feature bloat that a lot of indie games struggle with. It seems to be a pretty well-managed venture, all in all.

Niveras:

--- Quote from: Zsinj on August 31, 2016, 05:37:56 am ---Thanks a lot for the feedback guys - in response no it doesn't actually have to be dwarves, I was probably playing up the DF similarities for the benefit of the audience here. I was originally drawn to Dwarf Fortress about 10 years back as part of the hunt for a worthy successor to Dungeon Keeper (and what I found was a lot more than that!). The whole "be the bad guy" vibe really struck a chord with me and it's something I'm aiming to recapture. While I'm initially focusing on dwarves as the first playable race (mostly for people's familiarity), I plan to branch out into other races with their own gameplay mechanics and features. While I'm aiming at an initial release of dwarves, humans and orcs, what I'd really like to do is push it further than that and have the following "races":

* Play as a lone wizard building a "tower" or secret lair to conduct your magical research, using constructs such as golems and summoned familiars to do most of the grunt work
* Play as a necromancer researching the secrets of immortality - raise your minions from dead and you don't need to worry about feeding them, but they'll have their own maintenance issues to deal with
* Play as a dragon amassing a hoard of treasure deep in the mountain, with an army of loyal kobolds to do your bidding
* Play as an invasion of demons (think Dungeon Keeper minions and playstyle) secretly building up your power base or else fending off parties of adventuring heroesI'm wary of letting these ideas bloat out to too much scope creep, but this is the rough long-term plan for what the game will end up involving.

--- End quote ---

All of these sound like better ideas to start off with versus just another fort sim. Especially the dragon-sim, which I would certainly like to see myself, especially if you as a dragon alone can raid settlements to grow your own horde of treasure. Bonus points if you allow different lineages access to different powers, both flavour-wise and functionally (for example, a white dragon might be based on ice and necromancy), and different gameplay options (some dragon flavour might instead grow their horde through tithes or providing services and wisdom to supplicants).

This seems especially true to me since they're going to function slightly differently from the standard fort. You're going to have a primary important unit with special powers, and working in mechanics built around that would be easier if you go with that in mind from the beginning than trying to add new mechanics and build into it once you have your basic sim running.

You do have a bit of competition in terms of wizard and necromancer sims with KeeperRL. (Now that I think of it, I wonder if it is possible to mod KeeperRL into 'dragon-hoarding-sim'. Haven't kept up with that.)

Zsinj:
Thanks Silverthrone, much appreciated :)

--- Quote from: Niveras on August 31, 2016, 10:47:43 am ---All of these sound like better ideas to start off with versus just another fort sim...

--- End quote ---

I really appreciate this input! My feedback so far outside of the DF community has been that there's still quite a demand for another DF-a-like in this style, and the majority have been more excited about it being like Dwarf Fortress than they have with the similarities to Prison Architect or Rimworld. That said, I'm really excited myself at this idea of a single important character acting as your avatar, perhaps like in Evil Genius though a lot more in depth than the avatar there ended up being.

As for dragons, I definitely plan to have different colours/types with different abilities, but I hadn't considered having your own lineage, that could be a great idea! Perhaps after building your horde enough you have to find a mate, and after a period of hibernation carry on as your child with a mix of or improved abilities, coming into an older world that no longer fears you :)

My Name is Immaterial:
Looks very cool! PTW!

Also, how much are you planning on selling it for?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version