Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: King under the Mountain - Fantasy simulation-based strategy  (Read 60667 times)

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile
    • King under the Mountain

Your game is doomed to irrelevancy if you don't ride the VR wave!  And you should include a rhythm game element for extra innovation points.  Who would have ever thought to combine these genres?!  But Zsinj makes it work like it was meant to be!

Hah, thanks, and a bit creepy, as I was playing a little crypt of the necrodancer today and thinking on how there aren't enough rhythm genre mashups!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Don't take that post seriously at all, btw :P
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

I like the new title better.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I'm open to suggestions.
  And you should include a rhythm game element for extra innovation points.

oh man stop it I'd LOVE to see patapon with bloody maniacal dwarves you're just putting salt on the wound left open by the psp exclusive

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Patapon is practically the only the I played on my psp that was actually for it and not an emulator.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do like the new title, although I could probably nit-pick topic titles all day and never be satisfied...

It looks like a fun little game.  I notice it looks a little similar to the Dungeon Keeper Roguelike, but then, tile based settlement management games set in high fantasy worlds are going to look a bit similar, aren't they.

For some reason the little video of designating tiles to dig just seemed very satisfying.   

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Thanks guys! Dungeon Keeper is a big influence for me, it's what brought me to Dwarf Fortress in the first place actually! Expect a few of the same themes and gameplay elements to make an appearance - an early one I'm working on now is that I plan for rooms to show what they are by the flooring and contents (think Dungeon Keeper and Theme Hospital) rather than an overlaid checkerboard and name (Prison Architect) or somewhat arbitary re-colour (Rimworld).

Capturing and torturing heroes to turn them to your side as the bad guy was always a lot of fun so that's due to show up in some form at some point! Also the ability to have undead minions that don't require sleep or food (but have their own requirements) feeds in to the inspiration of the "play as a necromancer" mode.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That sounds pretty cool.  Man, I remember playing theme hospital on the PS1, that game was a lot of fun.

Dungeon Keeper was just awesome, of course.  I don't know if there was any semblance of balance at all, but it was fun to play anyway!  I loved torturing heroes and turning them to your side, and I've always loved playing the bad guy, so it's good to hear you plan to have that as an option.

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Just posted a somewhat large announcement that I'm aiming at a Kickstarter in early 2017, and more importantly than that, you can win a free pledge of the £5000 tier copy of the game by referring one person to http://kingunderthemounta.in/download/

If you're interested, more details at http://kingunderthemounta.in/refer-a-friend-and-win-an-awesome-reward/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:41:22 am by Zsinj »

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Woo, I won a free copy for signing up for the mailing list. Game looks great, I can't wait to give it a shot.

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Woo, I won a free copy for signing up for the mailing list. Game looks great, I can't wait to give it a shot.

Nice to see it's appreciated :D

As an update - offering a Kickstarter reward pledge for the most referrals was pretty unpopular, so I've changed it over to being a flat 1 in 10 chance to win a free copy (like Malus!) for everyone who refers one backer to the mailing list. Should be more attainable and attractive to everyone :)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Yeah I didn't want to say anything but that choice seemed a little...questionable? If for nothing else than it devaules the sick $5000 pledge someone was willing to shell out for. I get the need to get the word out for Kickstarter hype, but that seemed like a bad way to go about it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile

Thanks for that, feels validated now, and the interest since the change seems a lot better too!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Agreed. After I looked at the 'most referrals wins' condition I just shrugged and ignored it. With a chance to win even with a few referrals I will likely send out the link.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to put in my two pence, I'd consider holding off on kickstarter for as long as you possibly can. The games that are the most polished seem to do best, and as your game seems to mostly be going for depth rather than flashiness, it'll be more difficult to convince people. More than that whilst there's certainly a lot of novel ideas here and I feel it'll be highly original, it's something that has many other similar-ish games out there. You'd need to convince people it'd be worth backing this rather than just playing a bit more Rimworld/DF.

I've seen a lot of indie games fail on Kickstarter because they've tried it way too early on, and I'd hate for this to go the same way.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27