Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27

Author Topic: King under the Mountain - Fantasy simulation-based strategy  (Read 60079 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: King under the Mountain - Now live on Kickstarter!
« Reply #270 on: March 27, 2017, 02:54:18 pm »

Fair enough.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 28, 2017, 10:29:40 am »

Pricing on Indie games for me is not an issue, i'm more than happy enough to pay £20. I've seen the discussions you're eluding too about how Indie games should be priced ludicrously cheap and completely disagree with them, they forget people have to eat ;p But this is a KS not an actual finished product released to buy, we're being asked to trust you won't make a dog of a game and hand over cash up front essentially gambling with our cash. Prices are usualy set to tempt people in, £10/$10 is impulse "i'll buy it and see what happens", i think $10/£10 is probably too cheap, and looking at my prev backed KSers the lowest price i paid is $15 for Darkest Dungeon which is like £12.

And as it stands, going from prev experience of games going from KS to release, it's usually not too long before they're on sale, and that price ends up lower than what you'd pay for on KS. I still may back as it sounds very cool and i so so hope you get your funding as you've clearly put a lot of time in so far, but i can't help but think at a lower price point you'd get a lot more backers and more easily hit your goal.

You could for example add lower tier with no free DLC at a lower price point, as many people just wanna play the game and then decided if they like it enough to purchase DLC at a later date.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 28, 2017, 10:57:56 am »

Donated $112 via my real life name "Ryan", hope you meet your goal  XD
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile
    • King under the Mountain
« Reply #273 on: March 28, 2017, 02:11:45 pm »

And as it stands, going from prev experience of games going from KS to release, it's usually not too long before they're on sale, and that price ends up lower than what you'd pay for on KS. I still may back as it sounds very cool and i so so hope you get your funding as you've clearly put a lot of time in so far, but i can't help but think at a lower price point you'd get a lot more backers and more easily hit your goal.

You could for example add lower tier with no free DLC at a lower price point, as many people just wanna play the game and then decided if they like it enough to purchase DLC at a later date.

Thanks, and I really do see where you're coming from. We won't be doing any sales until version 1 in the same way the Rimworld guys haven't. I feel it's a bit of a slap in the face to the most passionate members of the community backing on day 1 to have a huge discount a little later to bring in the wider crowd. In fact I don't think we'll even be on Steam for quite a while until the game's a lot more polished, as you see the most successful Early Access titles doing (thinking not just of Rimworld but Factorio and Kerbal Space Program).

I also don't even think it's a possibility to a do a cheaper tier missing any of the rewards at the lowest pledge level. We don't actually have any plans to do any DLC - definitely no day-1 stuff from us - but maybe a version 2+ release that adds a lot of content and features to the base game while adding something extra via a paid expansion like Paradox's larger DLC releases (though not at such a high price point either). Not to mention it would force a potential backer into a touch decision of which level to go for which might lead to them not backing at all with such a dodgy DLC strategy. As I say it's not planned at all but it's kind of a must to include that to any Kickstarter backers as Retropunch mentioned earlier, which is why it's specified. Likely do the same for any of the early alpha purchasers too.

Donated $112 via my real life name "Ryan", hope you meet your goal  XD

Awesome, thank you so much!! We've had a really successful first day, there's a good chance of an article going up on Rock Paper Shotgun and we're exhbiting at EGX Rezzed in London for the rest of the week, so if any exposure comes off the back of that we should be in a good place to make this thing a reality. Thanks again!

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 29, 2017, 02:57:20 am »

You guys should try get a new post on RPS, should drive a hell of a lot of traffic to your KS :) Brendan Caldwel (brendan DOT rockpapershotgun ATcom) seems the goto guy as he splurges over Rimworld and this should be right up his alley unless there are different avenues onto RPS as i see you have an old mention on the site.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 29, 2017, 03:14:34 am »

We've been in touch with Adam Smith of RPS as he seems like the strategy guy (and he follows us on Twitter!), though yes Brendan seems to cover most of the early access stuff and Rimworld. Adam's said he'll post an article soon which I'm hoping will do wonders for the campaign. I think nearly all the RPS people are going to be attending Rezzed as they're running some of the developer sessions as well as having their own section of the floor, so we should be meeting up to say hi over the next few days too. Here's hoping!

Thyandyr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 29, 2017, 01:46:32 pm »

This is the first time in my life I regret not having friends or social network or facebook account :D I would spread the word if I could.

I am holding back my pledge until later. I do not care for the rewards, but also I am willing to pledge more in case it makes a difference.

What does kickstarter terms say about rewards such as '1% sales revenue of finished game', you know, like to appeal to investors and stuff?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 29, 2017, 02:28:48 pm »

What does kickstarter terms say about rewards such as '1% sales revenue of finished game', you know, like to appeal to investors and stuff?

From what I understand, it's not allowed (for good reason).

Fig is a platform that allows for that, but as far as I understand the revenue shares are terrible. The game would need to make millions in actual revenue (as in, net revenue) for you to get your stake back. It also allows (and has to allow) companies that use it to claw back more of that for 'future operating costs'.

On a more basic level though, lets say this does really well (I hope it does!) - that'd only work for one or two people before it eats into the profit margin too much. I imagine that they'd do better approaching actual investors instead if they wanted to go down that route.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #278 on: March 29, 2017, 05:17:11 pm »

Well you're 18% of the way towards your goal already and kicktraq has you trending towards £84,682. That's not a bad start!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 29, 2017, 05:49:54 pm »

Quick one Zsinj, you might want to signature your kickstarter - it'll help draw people's attention to it, especially in a week or two when you're posting and people have forgotten the original message.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 30, 2017, 01:55:00 am »

Quick one Zsinj, you might want to signature your kickstarter - it'll help draw people's attention to it, especially in a week or two when you're posting and people have forgotten the original message.

Wow good point, thanks!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 30, 2017, 03:39:32 am »

I am glad you are going through with this, it is fairly ambitious and because of a focus on melee (not that ranged won't exist) and some fantastical creatures... it means you cannot directly copy from past success either.

I hope this goes well, I'll check things out... and check my funds (which are never... doing well) and maybe if I have a little something soon I'll send it your way.

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 03, 2017, 04:43:25 am »

Had a fantastic response at EGX Rezzed last week! Was amazed by how much people were enjoying the prototype even with how early it is in development, quite a few came back to play multiple times!

Here's a typically busy shot of our stand :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #283 on: April 03, 2017, 03:07:11 pm »

Awesome! Looks like you're a bit over 25% of your goal as well. Don't let up for an instant, keep pushing it out at people.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27