Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27

Author Topic: King under the Mountain - Fantasy simulation-based strategy  (Read 60460 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: King under the Mountain - Fantasy simulation-based strategy
« Reply #330 on: January 25, 2018, 10:05:20 am »

It would be interesting if sometimes raiders just came to burn your crops before they grow /  show up during a harvest to steal them, so that "turtle inside the mountain" doesnt make you immune from all woes

On that note, aboveground crops should definitely be far superior to underground crops as far as yield goes. Having mushroom farms is great and should give dwarves an advantage, but players should find it worthwhile to try and grow/protect aboveground crops and ranches.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile
    • King under the Mountain
« Reply #331 on: February 15, 2018, 04:45:19 am »

On that note, aboveground crops should definitely be far superior to underground crops as far as yield goes. Having mushroom farms is great and should give dwarves an advantage, but players should find it worthwhile to try and grow/protect aboveground crops and ranches.

Ah I missed this post, yep that's the plan :)

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 15, 2018, 04:46:30 am »

The monthly dev update is now live at http://www.indiedb.com/games/king-under-the-mountain/news/february-2018-update-rounding-out-the-edges with a look ahead to what's planned for 2018

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #333 on: February 15, 2018, 06:10:21 am »

Excellent to see you're still working away at this. Looks like some good stuff is coming and I can't wait to see how this project looks after another 6-8 months of development.

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 23, 2018, 08:40:30 am »

This month's dev update covering a rewrite of the AI, the first settler need (sleep) and plans for the near future (all the new features and Kickstarter!) is now live at http://www.indiedb.com/games/king-under-the-mountain/news/march-2018-update-ai-rewrite-and-heading-back-to-kickstarter

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 23, 2018, 09:18:12 am »

Good stuff! I always enjoy reading about AI work.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 23, 2018, 10:38:43 am »

This looks interesting....

Is there a more up-to-date playable prototype than from April of last year? Sounds like a bunch of things have changed since.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:42:01 am by smjjames »

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 24, 2018, 04:54:40 am »

This looks interesting....

Is there a more up-to-date playable prototype than from April of last year? Sounds like a bunch of things have changed since.

There is, but currently only available to Patreon backers as an incentive and thank you for that. When the next Kickstarter campaign rolls around though, it'll be publicly available (and a bit more polished than the in-progress builds)

https://www.patreon.com/kingunderthemountain
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:56:22 am by Zsinj »

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 23, 2018, 10:51:18 am »

This month's dev update covering farming and a big revamp to plants is now online at
http://www.indiedb.com/news/april-2018-update-flora-and-farming

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 23, 2018, 12:01:33 pm »

I appreciate that you are going for a more realistic farming approach. Too many games take what was a major endeavor throughout most of human history and trivialize it.
Come play Mafia with us!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 23, 2018, 01:52:41 pm »

Woah, suddenly I'm all excited for this again :P ! I love good farming mechanics, and making the production of food something that has to be considered well ahead of time rather than being done "on demand" like basically every game ever.

Also the new rock/ore sprites look swanky as heck
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 23, 2018, 02:48:06 pm »

I appreciate that you are going for a more realistic farming approach. Too many games take what was a major endeavor throughout most of human history and trivialize it.

You stick seeds in the ground and a little while later food magically appears. As endeavors go, not that major.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 23, 2018, 03:08:12 pm »

Hah.

When you figure out which plants aren't poisonous, then start with wild plants and produce crops capable of sustaining a growing population, that's major. When you develop skills and equipment ever more capable of harvesting and processing those crops, that's major. Similarly, when you breed animals to help or to be part of the chain is no small advancement. When you develop strategies for irrigation, and cycle your crops to best use and replace the soil's nitrates, that's major.

Really, I could go on for quite a while. I live on a farm. I'm not a farmer, as I've never turned my hand to that trade, but the intelligence behind every decision comes from many, many centuries of development. Very little of that development is minor; quite frankly, it impresses me.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 23, 2018, 04:08:48 pm »

You stick seeds in the ground and a little while later food magically appears. As endeavors go, not that major.

Prior to the industrial revolution the vast majority of people worked as farmers. It was difficult labor that required constant maintenance (weeding, watering, fertilizing, etc) in order to get a crop to harvest. By 'Major Endeavor' I mean it was the primary occupation of most people. You don't feed an entire village on the food grown by a handful of people. Rather, an entire village is needed to grow enough food to support not only the farms but the relatively small % people not farming in that village.

Yeah, it's not like %100 of the time the farmers are tending crops and not doing anything else, but it's still way under represented in games as to the amount of labor needed. If nothing else you should have pretty much the entire settlement pitching in at harvest to get everything picked, prepared, and into storage before spoilage ruins too much of it.

There are busy seasons and quiet seasons for the farmers, so you should have times when they can help build or do some crafting or train for combat or whatever. But most people should do farmwork and in some seasons it should be nearly everyone for most of the day just to get everything in/out in time.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27