Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Petition: SG category  (Read 803 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Looking at tall buildings and feeling small
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Petition: SG category
« on: August 31, 2016, 05:07:27 pm »

Whether you love them or just want to avoid them they are a consistently recurring game type here on this board.

Quite often they are half the games here. And to navigate between those that are and are not these strongly suggest the mods add a category like they did for RTD, a SG category to The Forum Games and Roleplaying board. Please sign if you agree.

(SG=Suggestion Game. Participants suggest and vote on how the story progresses/what the protagonist will do.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:18:53 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Petition: CYOA category
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 05:10:02 pm »

I dunno about this. Pure, limited-choice CYOAs might turn out to be a fad; if you wanted to throw in SGs, as well, you'd probably have enough stuff for a subforum, but I dunno if it's really necessary to make on.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Petition: CYOA category
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 05:13:22 pm »

I don't see it as necessary and in all honesty I dislike the thought of tossing SG's in with em.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Looking at tall buildings and feeling small
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Petition: SG category
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 05:15:34 pm »

Thank you I have relabeled this SG suggestion game category, as the difference matters as you have pointed out.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 05:21:07 pm »

And then we come back to the fact that both of us stated that we don't think it's necessary to make a subcategory for SG's.

I specifically really don't think it would be a good idea.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 05:28:16 pm »

Wait, there's CYOA games? I can't say I've seen any. Is that like a Quest-type SG? What would be an example?

A possible rationale for why you'd want to put SGs in a separate category is that they're considerably slower-moving games than, say, freeform RPs, so they get crowded off the first page much more readily. Not sure it's a compelling reason to do it, though. I think RTDs and Mafia were both sequestered because of the opposite reason - there were so many that they crowded out the other ones. Einsteinian Roulette, though, was a more mixed case in that it got a subforum because it had grown beyond the three or four threads it used to use for all of its stuff and needed to expand outward, which might have been unwieldy to deal with (having like 11 threads on the front page, for instance). None of these are really the case for SGs, which are very slow, confined to one thread and rarely go on for very long.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 05:30:09 pm »

Wait, there's CYOA games? I can't say I've seen any. Is that like a Quest-type SG? What would be an example?
SPAMKINGDOM (the one that started the trend)
SPAMEMPIRE (another one by the same user)
Wizard Tower (my own)

Sort of like a quest, except with a greater emphasis on speedy updates and a ban on player-created options.