Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we move the server to the dev branch, or remain on the stable? If we move, the save file will be permanently dev-only! Some mods may also need to be removed.

Move to Dev branch for the latest updates.
- 3 (42.9%)
Stay on Stable branch for (relative) reliability and mod compatability.
- 4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Boatmurdered: Bay 12 Space Engineers: Stations aren't real.  (Read 11996 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Boatmurdered: Bay 12 Space Engineers: Stations aren't real.
« on: September 02, 2016, 12:03:25 am »

Since I've been clogging up the Space Engineers thread with talk about my server, I've decided to create this thread for updates on the server status and discussion of server affairs.

Copy the link to launch Steam and automatically join...
The "Boatmurdered" Space Engineers Server
steam://connect/108.61.235.156:27015

-This is a survival server.
-Currently the player cap is set to 8, open to the public.
-PvP is enabled.
-The starting map the "Star System" map, so there is one of each planet and a moon, plus dynamic asteroids. I've added a couple mod planets as well.
-You spawn over Earth with a planetary lander only, and must build a spacecraft to leave the planet. This is partly an anti-griefing feature.
-This is a relatively new map, there are few structures anywhere.
-The server pauses while nobody is online
-The server is open to the public, just look for Boatmurdered on the public server list. No password/steamgroup required.
-To join you can copy the link above, or add 108.61.235.156:27015 to your list of Steam favorited servers. (In Steam, not in-game: Click View on the top left, choose Servers, go to the favorites tab, and Add Server on the bottom right).
-The server is hosted on a Gameservers.com server, paid for by Adams, who isn't actually a Bay12 guy but regularly hangs out in the Bay12 Discord. I'm still doing most of the admin legwork.
-There is a Discord link in my signature, this is the voice channel where Adams, myself and others usually hang out.
-We use Frontier Economy! You can buy and sell goods with other players and NPCs. Here's the tutorial page with full details. NPC Market is here: GPS:Market:-88097.54:13249.28:-58243.62:

Current Affairs:
I now have most of the mods I want, except automated garbage cleanup, which I still really need to figure out somehow. I am NOT moving to dev branch: When I was trying to manually update the server for a minor update earlier, I realized it would be an awful process that involves manually overwriting huge folders over FTP, which would take multiple hours every thursday. We're simply going to have to wait for updates to the stable branch.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 08:25:59 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boatmurdered: Bay 12 Space Engineers DEDICATED SERVER
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 12:19:31 am »

OOPS.

Shortly before I was going to enable proper backups, my computer bluescreened while the server was up. It seems that the entirety of every save file that was in the dedicated server saves folder is gone. So, uh... unless somebody has a good idea for how to recover those, we may have to start from scratch.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 12:23:12 am »

Wipes should happen from time to time.
Ptw.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 12:49:09 am »

I was going to start a poll on a server wipe... depending on the outcome if the CHKDSK I'm running right now, there might not be a poll though.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 01:13:18 am »

Yup! Checkdisk and recuva got me nothing. Ironically this was very avoidable as I had some opportunity to enable backups with the new SESE while I was playing with its features, and it took especially poor timing for it to crash when it did. But, it looks like it'll have to be a new map.

The server is down for the time being. In the mean time, let me know what you think we should do: Planet start again, like last time? It might have made the beginning too challenging, but it also seems like the best way to enable PvP while preventing griefing. Or space start? Non-planets, even, if you guys feel they're too buggy still? I'm also up for adding mods for more parts and stuff.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 02:49:01 am »

Hmm, I might have taken the last steps in that savefile. A bit sad.

I like the planet start as it is.

As for mods, I haven't tried it, but maybe this would be good? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416466806&searchtext=
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 07:33:22 am »

I would prefer space for less lag, more realistic settings, and for mods? well, possibly the industrial cockpits and more mod.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 07:33:50 am »

It's incredibly easy to make a ship speed mod yourself. Not sure how server and client sync mods.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 11:20:47 am »

If a mod is on the workshop, then all it takes is me adding the mod's ID to a list of mods in a text file. For example the ID of the ship speed mod you posted is 416466806. I'm a little wary of big speed increase mods though, I'm not sure if it will negatively affect simspeed. From the comments it also sounds like you'll want some parachute mod for planetary landings. ;)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 08:18:50 pm »

Last call for suggestions. I'll set it up sometime tomorrow; probably just the same planet start with the addition of various blocks (including tiered thrusters).

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 11:50:29 pm »

Last call for suggestions. I'll set it up sometime tomorrow; probably just the same planet start with the addition of various blocks (including tiered thrusters).

I would suggest the deep space transceiver (basically super long range laser antenna) mod here: (https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=405233525)  but it seems like it broke in one of the recent patches (might still work on stable).

Also I think it would be nice to have some custom planets (there's a ton of good ones here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/doctoroctoganapus/myworkshopfiles/?appid=244850) but I don't know if you can use them with atmos lander only - not sure if you can set custom spawn locations for the lander or not.

Also nanite control block here: (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=655922051) though it's a very gamechanging block and I'm not sure how modded you want the server to be.

If you add weapon mods, be careful - because of the way SE handles deformation damage most of them end up absurdly overpowered even if the creator didn't intend them to be.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 11:59:22 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 01:27:46 pm »

Heres the link for Industrial Cockpits and more.

Its mostly three cockpits and some rather nice conveyor blocks.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 03:59:49 pm »

I played a little bit with Facekillz and Noobish. It went well except for two separate instances in which ships decided they were repulsed by gravity and wanted to fly into space, even when powered off. As such, we're debating whether to switch to the dev branch, to get the most recent bugfixes. However, this would probably interfere with the huge modlist I compiled. If I do that, I'll probably have to remove a bunch of mods.

Also I was looking at some mods which added more powerful thrusters/gyros/etc, but which required ore found on unique planets to build. Most of these are broken with the latest SE version (even stable) though. I was considering adding more planets in any case, but I'm not sure how that would affect server performance.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 01:37:06 pm »

Apparently the "floating" bug occurs when landing gear is detached from a planet surface, and has been around since march(!) with not much to be done about it. Oh well.

Anyhow, the server IS UP! Tell me if anything disastrous happens.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7