Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spontaneous site wide riot claims half of fort population?  (Read 4803 times)

Of Dust

• Bay Watcher
  • We are forged
    • View Profile
Spontaneous site wide riot claims half of fort population?
« on: September 02, 2016, 01:52:21 am »

Playing 43.05, decent fort, rough start but looking forward to finishing this one.

Suddenly got 5 announcements saying some of my Dwarves had inherited titles, and the populace began immediately killing each other all over the fort - the soldiers stayed out of it until they themselves were attacked. Have lost about 50 Dwarves and counting.

What the hell happened? There had been no fighting before the announcement so did it trigger a loyalty cascade?
If one must choose between excess of order or chaos, always choose chaos. From anarchy structure may arise, but from stagnation change will never come.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spontaneous site wide riot claims half of fort population?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 03:07:16 am »

I've never heard of this before, maybe its some kind of succession wars, or perhaps some of your dwarves inherited titles of enemy civilisations(somehow?) causing a massive loyality cascade. This definitely needs to be investigated further.

Of Dust

• Bay Watcher
  • We are forged
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 03:15:06 am »

Fighting has simmered down now and the fort has moved on somewhat (or as near as it could after such a civil war). The last save before the event was a little while back but i did keep a copy. I also noted down the Titles inherited, so I will check the legends to see what Civ those settlements were part of.

Edit: All settlements were of the same parent Civ, though it seems one of them was paying tribute to the local gobbies.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 03:24:07 am by Of Dust »
If one must choose between excess of order or chaos, always choose chaos. From anarchy structure may arise, but from stagnation change will never come.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 07:43:20 am »

This is a very interesting case. Toady would likely appreciate hearing about this one in that it's a loyalty cascade style bug with a very obvious trigger that could possibly be traced back to the source. This likely would provide him with an important clue. It definitely sounds like a feature that failed some sort of escalation check. It's kinda cool, though.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 07:48:34 am by Melting Sky »

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 07:50:03 am »

I have noticed that the newer versions (I think that one in particular) seem to have a thing for seemingly-out-of-nowhere loyalty cascades.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 08:32:52 am »

Perhaps a dwarf was abducted by goblins, got a noble title, then died and passed the title on to his living relatives?

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 05:34:27 am »

I'll be very interested to hear what legends reveals (ptw)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 10:49:13 am »

What dwarf with an honest beard would let a gobo sympathizer get promoted to power without a good fight?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 11:43:46 am »

Are you sure they all just didn't discover facebook or something?

4 srs tho I do remember hearing something about succession wars but that they were very, very rare and difficult to replicate.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 02:03:29 pm »

Look for other possible triggers. If this kind of fight is rare, it has several, or even many, separate, unrelated, and potentially very minor additive issues. For instance, the noble only gets killed if he's a glassmaker and inherits the title of Baron after holding ... you get the idea, it doesn't HAVE to make any sense. Although it will be things that affect behavior, not just random things I can throw out off the top of my head.

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 08:09:34 pm »

You should upload the saves to the DFFD and post a bug report
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 04:20:06 am »

How do you tell the difference between a bug and a complex way game mechanics naturally resolve?

Of Dust

• Bay Watcher
  • We are forged
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 05:25:14 am »

Right sorry for the wait dear fellows, here is what I have managed to drag up from the legends so far, and it appears to be one tangled web:

There were 4 Dwarves (not 5 as I mistakenly claimed earlier) who obtained titles in the late winter of 452:

Niri Peltsmiths - baroness of Portentguilds (only noble actually killed during the riot, real bummer for the save copies in which I'm continuing the fort post civil war).
Doren Fortresswashed - count of Pureinks
Asen Blockedwhisper baroness of Lobsterstockade
Likot Bronzespears - baroness of Sprinkledrazors

Portentguilds is a hillocks, history mostly comprised of stuff getting stolen, Kidnapping and Roc attacks.
Pureinks is a Fortress, in late winter 452 - about the time of the Succession Riots - it was attacked by Goblins who secured tribute.
Lobsterstockade is a hillocks, again kidnappings, roc attacks, etc. Recorded history ends a few years before the event.
Sprinkledrazors - Fortress, history seems largely uneventful and stops recording the year before.

It turns out Doren is Likot's Father, and her mother was a Werewombat that was killed in the mid winter of 452 by my militia.
What looks to have happened, is that Niri's Mother was made a Baroness then moved to Pureinks, where Doren's Father was already count and Asen's mother was also a baroness.

The trio were all killed in the 452 gobbo raid.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 06:56:34 am by Of Dust »

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 06:32:10 am »

452 goblin raid! Thats a lot of goblins.

Of Dust

• Bay Watcher
  • We are forged
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 06:56:20 am »

I meant the year 452, my apologies
Pages: [1] 2