Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Spontaneous site wide riot claims half of fort population?  (Read 4806 times)

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spontaneous site wide riot claims half of fort population?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 12:24:13 am »

of topic: Really cool avatar Of Dust.

on topic: I remember this happening back in 40.xx for the similar reasons, I'm trying to find the thread again, I'll edit this if I can find it.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 06:55:49 pm »

Bumping this thread since it's the same version (43.05).

Have there been any news on fixing these cascades? Is the upcoming artifact release going to do anything about it? Every single fort I've made in 43.xx has died to loyalty cascades, which usually start in the fort's tavern. Dozens of dead dwarves and most of the rest in the hospital, in my newest fort even the military started fighting eachother with legendary swordsdwarves lopping each other's limbs off. It is extremely frustrating and the most serious bug in the game right now.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:15:20 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 02:08:31 am »

I've never seen a loyalty cascade, but I also maintain a poisoner free tavern, which is what I'd recommend you to do to reduce the risk. It seems those who want death and mayhem in their taverns helped by poisoners generally don't get it, while people who don't want it do.

There is no indication the upcoming release contains any adjustments to tavern alcohol serving results.

I assume you haven't done any raw editing to make the dorfs more irritable and prone to arguing, and fighting, as that ought to increase the odds of arguing->fighting->accidental death->retribution->cascade.

Other people have mentioned that if you DO get a cascade, you ought to immediately lock the door to contain the outbreak. You'll lose most of those in the tavern, but by sealing it off it shouldn't spread.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 02:26:12 am »

Yep.  That's my advice.  I've had *lots* of loyalty cascades (goes hand in hand with my habit of keeping pet were beasts :-) ).  I've never lost a fortress to either yet.  In fact, I don't think I've ever lost more than 10 dwarfs per fortress to both kinds of incidents combined.  Put up a burrow somewhere out of the way.  Make your military inactive.  Lock doors (or strategically retreat as far as you can and *build* doors/walls :-) ).  If you are desperate, as a delaying tactic, throw one or two military into the fray (you can station individual dwarfs -- the UI is a bit clumsy, but if I can figure it out, then anybody can ;-) ).  Everybody else should boot it to the burrow.  The slightly annoying thing is that for a loyalty cascade, you can't use military alerts -- because all your potentially vengence-infected dwarfs will go marching to the burrow as well -- you have to physically assign everybody that is out of eyesight of the brawl to the burrow.  The other annoying thing is that you have to wait until one side of the conflict is dead.  So if you get incapacitated dwarfs who are whiffing on each other, you just have to wait until they bleed out.  However, you can slowly start expanding your burrow and setting up doors to take things back.  Once the area is secured by locked doors, you can lift the burrow.

But in the vast majority of cases that I've had, it's never gotten bad.  As soon as I see a strange combat report, I pause and lock the door to the tavern :-).  Usually I keep my tavern slightly separated from the rest of the fortress with a long entrance as well... just in case.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 02:36:25 am »

It is extremely frustrating and the most serious bug in the game right now.

This sort of infighting is also the most serious bug in the current release of humanity.  pls fix :-\

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 07:54:33 am »

I've never seen a loyalty cascade, but I also maintain a poisoner free tavern, which is what I'd recommend you to do to reduce the risk. It seems those who want death and mayhem in their taverns helped by poisoners generally don't get it, while people who don't want it do.

My favorite loyalty cascade was when someone who showed up with a trading caravan (dwarvish but the berserk guy was a human) went berserk from rage at being accosted by flies, and somehow, him attacking some random visitor caused the entire fort to take up sides that I could never figure out and just slaughter each other.

It ended up with half the fort flooded from some lever-pulling psycho, the other half on fire, and pretty much everyone dead.

I never figured out what exactly happened.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 06:53:34 am »

It is extremely frustrating and the most serious bug in the game right now.

This sort of infighting is also the most serious bug in the current release of humanity.  pls fix :-\

I believe this is one of those things that blurs the line between bug and feature

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 08:26:28 am »

Man loyalty cascades are beautiful, I sometimes start up a really neat and orderly fort in an old version, set up everything perfectly, then force one to happen with the military... Aw the beauty.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 [2]