Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 77

Author Topic: Let’s Play Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords – Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings  (Read 84585 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let’s Play Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords – Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2016, 09:36:09 am »

((Alright. You can still go looking for lore and stories with the remaining morning time, though I imagine at this point all Etoile wants to do is dive into a book and hide there until his nerves calm down.))

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2016, 09:39:50 am »

((That would be a rather accurate estimation of what goes around his head.))
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2016, 10:21:44 am »

Steven Westiron

((*roll*: Dexterity 14 + 5 vs DC 15 - Success!))

Steven quickly corrects the barrow, and they return to the center of the street, charging ahead of the pack. (+10% on next check)

The twins lead the pack, with Steven right behind. One of the other teams behind has the same problem as Steven had, and only the quick reactions of the rider prevent them from tumbling, but it definitely slowed them up.

((*roll*: 1d100 + 17 = 113))

Steven hits his stride, the barrow hits a perfect groove in the mud of the way, and the crowds whip past. (+25% on next check!)

Behind him, the twins grimly manage to keep up. They almost manage to get into the same groove as Steven, but mistime their movements. Further back, the unlucky team hits a hole in the way entirely wrong, and with a shout the barrow goes sliding off to the side - they're completely out of the running.

Up ahead is the turn into Shell Street, and Steven is lined up perfectly for it.

((*roll*: 1d100 + 33 - 25 = 10))

...However, his luck abandons him for a moment. The barrow bounces badly, but Jared holds on grimly. They're still forced to slide to a stop to recover. The twins start to sail by, but their barrow pulls to the right, and they're forced to slide to a halt before it topples completely. The remaining farmers have the same trouble as Steven and Jared encountered, but likewise managed to remain upright.
Steven readjusts himself to keep himself going but can't help but give a bit of a smirk. At least he isn't the only one having trouble
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2016, 10:58:01 am »

((You know, this Etoile figure reminds me of myself :P

Also, I fully anticipated that Kal was going to have to save the Kobold in some way, though maybe not any time soon given I doubt he'd want to visit a menagerie.))
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2016, 01:53:04 pm »

Also, I fully anticipated that Kal was going to have to save the Kobold in some way, though maybe not any time soon given I doubt he'd want to visit a menagerie.))
((Made myself go read everyone else's stuff, and Steven's seems rather boring compared to everyone else... Mind you, it fits him well enough, trying to lay low as much as he can.

Steven would probably try and break out the Kobold too, but only if he could clue in that it was sentient))

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2016, 01:27:18 am »

((I think Etoile is a perfect representation of most of us if we were picked up and plunked down in a fantasy world.

I had also expected that Kal or Steven would have been the one to break the kobold out later. Etoile taking matters into his own hand and being fully prepared to damage property and steal a slave dangerous animal was surprising!))

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2016, 02:24:42 am »

((I think he was caught in the moment and his excitement at the fascinating creature. Besides, he does have his views on enslavement of sentient creatures which I doubt is cordial with his Aasimar heritage.

Regardless, he did feel incredulous at what he had just done afterwards.

Edit: Now, said sentient creature could've been a criminal or other rather evil being and Etoile still would've done what he did. Call him... Naive.))
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:31:29 am by apiks »
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2016, 04:25:05 am »

Steven Westiron

((*roll* 1d100 + 7 -25 = 71))

With a bit of effort, Steven gets the barrow moving again, and they make their way into Shell Street. It’ll take some fancy work to get through here safely, though. The other two teams are close behind, and the crowd cheers at the close race behind run.

((*roll*: 1d100 +7 – 40 = 66))

With Jared shouting out warnings for the dangers and challenges ahead and Steven’s balance and reflexes, they put Shell Street behind them quickly. Up ahead, the street makes a gentle turn onto Junker’s Way. They need to negotiate the turn, and then into the final stretch.

The two farmers manage to keep up with Steven, but the Twins come to a halt as they run into a pothole, barely managing to keep the barrow upright between them. They fall behind, and it’ll be a miracle if they manage to catch up in the final stretch.

((*roll: 1d100 +7 – 10 = 76))

By now, Jared and Steven are functioning like a well oiled machine, taking the corner at speed and making it look easy. In the distance, the finish line can be seen at Junker’s Edge.

The farmers are right behind Steven, and the crowd cheers as the two race forward, neck and neck.

((*roll*: 1d100 + 7 = 66))

Steven’s legs burn from the exertion, but the finish line is in sight. One final effort will be enough to get there, and Jared yells at him to keep going, the farmer’s are edging past them!

((*roll*: 1d100 + 7 = 95))

Steven sees a groove in the way that looks perfect at the last moment, and easily maneuvers the barrow into it. At the last moment, the farmer’s barrow veers to the left, and while they manage to correct themselves in time to avoid an accident, the damage is done.

Steven and Jared sail across the line a second ahead of the second place team, to the resounding cheers of the crowd at the close race they witnessed.  Gorvi hustles over and slaps Steven on the back.

“Well! That was a hell of a race! And according to my hourglass… 56 seconds!”

He turns and roars to the crowd as he raises one of Steven’s hands in the air, and one of Jared’s with his other hand. “Ladies and Gentlemen! Our new racing champions, and a new time to beat… 56 seconds!”

The cheering is deafening as the other participants come over and congratulate the two of you. “It’s been a few years since someone’s beaten the record, so the prizes have accumulated a bit. Each of you can choose one, so take your pick.”
  • A pouch with 50g in gold and silver
  • A potion of Cure Light Wounds
  • A potion of Mage Armor
  • A grimy set of studded leather armor – Gorvi says it’s one of Larz’ finest creations, and that’s saying something (masterwork quality)

There are two pouches of money, and Jared grabs one quickly – he definitely has no aspirations of adventuring, and he’s quite grateful for his sudden windfall.

After selecting your prize, you two are led over to the edge of the cliff, where fishing poles are set up. Down below is a large container filled with crude cutouts of goblins with hooks attached to each. The other contestants are there, and a crowd of watchers.

Gorvi looks around with a grin as he explains the game. “Now, everyone knows that we dump out the town’s junk onto Junk Beach – reason its got its name, right? Now, we all know that the goblins are down their stealing junk during the night – not a lot we can do about that, and hey, it was junk. But then again, one man’s junk is another man’s treasure… and sometimes there are some real treasures to be had. The winners each get three chances to fish in the barrel. Maybe you catch a goblin, maybe you catch something good – it’s all down to luck. Second place gets two chances, third place gets one, and for the fourth… well, better luck next time, right?”

Before each of your attempts, you’re allowed ten seconds to look into the barrel and try to spot something shiny before he make your fishing attempt. Since you can’t see where your fishing line is going, you have to hope you cast it in the right general area.

((*roll*: Perception 1 – 1d20 + 8 = 15. *roll*: Attempt 1 – 1d100 + 15 = 24))
((*roll*: Perception 2 – 1d20 + 8 = 17 *roll*: Attempt 2 – 1d100 + 17 = 60))
((*roll*: Perception 3 – 1d20 + 8 = 24 *roll*: Attempt 3 – 1d100 + 24 = 72))

Steven’s attempts become better and better, but his first two casts land him only goblins. On his last attempt, sweat beads his brow as he carefully tugs on the line, the weight on the end feeling different then the times before. Indeed, he pulls up a bottle of dark, viscious liquid. Gorvi gingerly hands it to Steven.

“Glad that didn’t fall off. Alchemist’s Fire… nasty stuff, it’s amazing what Podiker, the town alchemist will throw in the trash sometimes.”

The other make their casts – one of the farmers manages to pull up another bottle of alchemist’s fire, which he receives with a resigned shrug. “It’ll make starting a fire easier.” He says philosophically.

Steven gains a bottle of Alchemist’s Fire, as well as whatever prize he chooses above

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2016, 06:11:29 am »

((Was there a prize for the strength contest?))
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2016, 09:13:23 am »

((While there was no official prize beyond accolades, Aloisturm did notice Master Meatbag pocketing quite a bit of money from others in the crowd after his success. He estimates the value to be somewhere around 100g... not that he has direct access to it yet, but something to remember.))

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2016, 09:14:48 am »

((Was there a prize for the strength contest?))
((Being a total badass is one of them))
Steven takes the masterwork leather, though hes pretty sure he'll clean it up before donning it.

Now that the barrow run is done, its time to head over to the shooting range (or if there is extra time, Steven wanders around a bit)

EDIT:
((Because I forgot...))
Steven lights a victory cigarette after he shakes Jared's hand for their victory
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 01:20:57 pm by highmax28 »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2016, 10:34:19 am »

((I take it Kal saw this, and that the way is clear for him to move around again?))
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2016, 10:52:56 am »

((Yup, he's free to continue. Time-line wise, Etoile is probably finishing the great escape, so if you head towards the menagerie, you can witness the fireworks when they find out their main attraction has left the building.))

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2016, 11:02:21 am »

After watching the almost epic barrow battle, Kal decides to wander in the direction of the menagerie

((:P))
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2016, 04:42:28 pm »

Flush with victory (and gold), Master Meatbag ushers "his" construct towards the unarmed combat demonstration.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 77