Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Titan Quest : Updated after 10 years, and on sale now : 5$ ! Come and play !  (Read 3017 times)

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apparently, Titan Quest is on sale until Wednesday, for its Anniversary Edition.

I just bought it, and it's great so far. Also, the dev said they've updated the game, and the multiplayer works.

So ... You guys want to play ? :D

PS: there were threads about Titan Quest, but they were 5+ years old and 1 page long, so I created this one :)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My friend loves that game and I played it a few times, beat a couple of difficulties once. I didn't like that it always ended in you just kiting stuff around, at least for the classes I was playing, but still fun game. Grim Dawn is what I'd go to now for that fix though

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I played Grim Dawn, but I really didn't like the colors/ambience. It felt too grey (even if it was, to an extent, the point).

Also, it seems that the Defense Mastery (and a bit less the Earth and Warfare ones) are good for more straight in the battle characters.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I didn't make a thread because I didn't think there would be interest.
I bought the game a while ago but never beat it. Surprise comes Wednesday when I get the anniversary edition for free =D
I just wish I could remember how I built my old character. I seem to remember being able to rapid-fire arrows that splintered and killed tons of guys really fast. Tried to rush to that skill and it seems way more underwhelming than I remember it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I like this game, though I haven't played a ton of it. I'm a little torn between trying out the new, ostensibly better-balanced version and continuing my current game, though.

I do find the fact that they're still paying attention to it after all of this time fascinating, too. Trying to drum up interest for their coming titles, I presume?

I didn't make a thread because I didn't think there would be interest.
I bought the game a while ago but never beat it. Surprise comes Wednesday when I get the anniversary edition for free =D
I just wish I could remember how I built my old character. I seem to remember being able to rapid-fire arrows that splintered and killed tons of guys really fast. Tried to rush to that skill and it seems way more underwhelming than I remember it.
If you're playing the remastered version, they might have nerfed that for precisely the reasons you remember.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well damn. I don't know what kind of class I'd enjoy playing as then. I don't typically play mage type characters in these games but I may actually try out some kind of hunter/stormcaller, but I don't know how viable that would be.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I played this a bunch the first time around, it's one of my favourite ARPGs.  My main was a pet based Earth/Spirit character who was fairly effective and made it through the first two difficulties, although maybe not the most interesting to play (a bit passive).  I had a secondary character that was Defense/Storm who seemed really powerful - very tanky, backed up with a lot of stuns, but still dished out a decent chunk of damage; I don't recall if I finished the first difficulty with him before I got distracted making a billion alts that each didn't make it much past 15-20 before I moved onto another, cos I wanted to try everything :p

I enjoy the gameplay in Grim Dawn more (I mean it's basically the same game with some additional layers of customisation, and I always like more layers of customisation), but I admit the aesthetic of Titan Quest is more interesting (and colourful) so I may have to fire it up again for the anniversary edition.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well damn. I don't know what kind of class I'd enjoy playing as then. I don't typically play mage type characters in these games but I may actually try out some kind of hunter/stormcaller, but I don't know how viable that would be.
IIRC hunting has one of the two +% elemental damage skills in the game, so at least you'll be able to dish out plenty damage.

I went with a storm/nature(the other mastery with a elemental damage skill) warrior myself and I'm sure I'll regret it because I'll have no weapon DPS and my stats are a mess  :D

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

My play through was as a hoplite, so defense/hunter build. No magic, just a shield and a spear. It went pretty well though some of the boss fights required retreating, healing and attacking over and over. Stupid damage-pool spells.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

I do find the fact that they're still paying attention to it after all of this time fascinating, too. Trying to drum up interest for their coming titles, I presume?
They've been doing that to a lot of their titles. They've already done it to Red Faction: Guerrilla and Darksiders 2.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

Necrobump for new expansion. Titan Quest: Ragnarok is now available, featuring a new mastery, new weapon types, new act to play through, and updated graphics.

Also, 25% off until the 24th.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I've played trough the old one exactly once, and even that started to feel like a chore towards the end. Mostly because it feels so incredibly slow  and there's literally no skills or items that boost your mobility to a significant degree to mitigate that. And since the enironments are completely static you end up with a slow trudge trough the same zones if you play a second time. The combat was fine for the most part but I've never found it to be that fun I guess? There is skill and build diversity, but for the most part it boils down to an attack modifying skill and a few support auras and actives to help you clear faster or stay alive.

Incidentally, Grim Dawn suffers from much the same issues, in some cases making them even worse to the point where it feels like the game is intentionally wasting your time (doing any of the procedural dungeons requires a long slog trough either a low level area or a stupidly deadly one, every goddamn time, because it was so damn hard to just put a fast travel node on their entrance, dying resurects you in town every single time, if you forget to plop down portals regularly, have fun walking slowly to where you died, etc). It does have some more interesting stuff like the Devotion system and the crafting is actually useful, but it also suffers from stat bloat, where you have so many different types of damage and damage mitigation that it feels overwhelming keeping tack of it all, so you might as well not bother with most of it (seriously 8 fucking types of damage? Where most of them could easily be the same damn thing? Why??)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile

Well that certainly came out of nowhere o_o
I'm not sure how to feel about it. 2006-me is incredibly hyped to see more Titan Quest, but a more cynical me is pretty worried that this will feel tacked on and entirely unrelated to the rest of the game...

I'll probably end up getting it, finances allowing, but for the moment, Grim Dawn takes precedence.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Completionist me will probably end up owning the expansion at some point. I don't think I've ever actually completed a single act, however - I usually stop shortly after the second or third town for some reason.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile

Okay. So I got this some time ago, with Ragnarök. Time for some impressions.

Anniversary update is neat, no question there. The graphical overhaul looks pretty decent. New interface takes some getting used to, but works rather well. Sticky "show items" controls are very much welcome and prevent having to tape the Alt key down to not miss anything. Essentially, this is the fanpatch on steroids, and I like it. Also the map fuckery that's going on in Knossos palace definitely makes the place feel more labyrinthine.

On to Ragnarök. My impressions are a little more ambivalent. The Rune mastery is interesting, the new environments are really pretty, and some maps feel absolutely ginormous. On the other hand, the story is a little disappointing. Not bad, mind you, but it feels a little flat, though there are some neat ideas.
Voice acting is extremely unequal. Some are decent enough, but there are a few NPCs where I find myself skipping dialogue entirely (notably that witch apprentice in Scandia. My goodness is her voice unbearable. She stresses and lengthens every second syllable to the point that I reckon it would have been less jarring if the actor had just dropped the fake accent and recorded in a normal modern voice).
Quests are also a mixed bag. Most are decent, but some get incredibly confusing, which is understandable for secret stuff like the Primrose, but others?
"Maybe whatshername could settle the dispute between these two squabbling inconsequential NPCs"... Yeah, no. She won't lift a finger until I find a totally unrelated guy on the other side of the map who gives me a recipe for a necklace that I must make to then bribe whatshername into doing her job (not that he tells you that. He's just getting rid of it)... Real intuitive, there...
Also a quest requiring the gathering of McGuffin pieces scattered all over the place. That's fine in and of itself, but one of the pieces is hidden in an optional area that's very easy to miss, and takes forever to reach if you did miss it.
On the equipment side, I'd have preferred to see javelins rather than throwing knives/axes, but that's a pretty minor thing.

Overall, it's a decent expansion, and despite my criticisms I do like it, but it does feel a little rough around the edges.