Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1401368 times)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #1125 on: August 23, 2009, 07:54:59 am »

While that is an awesome picture, how the feckdamn did it come from trying to make a monocle?

Yes, that is an awesome not-a-monocle. 

Here's another Chasm creature..
The wiki says these guys aren't dangerous, but they keep ganging up and killing my dwarves' children...

That is a great depiction.  Does the wiki really say they're not dangerous?  God, I hate troglodytes.  The Dwarf Heaven map is infested with them.

Here's a happy dwarf.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Your grasp of light and shadow is photorealistic. That actually rather looks like a photograph of a finely detailed sculpture.

Most art critics will whine about seeing a floating head, though. I used to know the reason, but perhaps just because they think it's cliché. Oh well... it's awesome, really.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: August 23, 2009, 08:23:18 am »

That's sort of dumb, the critics should look at the work, and not at the absence of work! It'd be like grading someone on something they never even tried to accomplish.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: August 23, 2009, 08:29:59 am »

I have had art instructors who have subscribed to the train of thought that you present as being absurd. I agree it is absurd, but apparently you can obtain teaching credentials in art even if you don't.

Of course, this instructor was merely a substitute who we had to put up with for a few months because the regular instructor was force-fed the steering column of his Mustang (he lived, but that was one hell of a hospital stay).

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: August 23, 2009, 08:35:25 am »

I don't understand Muon, "Present as being absurd"?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: August 23, 2009, 08:50:13 am »

I'll trade you a live hornet in a vibrating box for your ant.

Is it worth more XP?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #1130 on: August 23, 2009, 12:09:30 pm »

Your grasp of light and shadow is photorealistic. That actually rather looks like a photograph of a finely detailed sculpture.

Most art critics will whine about seeing a floating head, though. I used to know the reason, but perhaps just because they think it's cliché. Oh well... it's awesome, really.

Thanks.  Though I doubt the art critics would think much of photoshop doodles of dwarves and goblins, bodyless or not.   ;D

There's lots of great stuff in this thread, lately.  I think I remember Toady saying in a past podcast that he has a folder for the DF fanart he sees; it must be getting pretty big by now.   :P

Here are some sketches of dwarves, including... female dwarves!  I think this is the first time I've ever drawn a dwarf girl.

IMO, dwarf girls are beardless.  And cute. 
You have struck Microcline!

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: August 23, 2009, 09:15:35 pm »

I like the old dwarf near the bottom.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: August 23, 2009, 10:52:40 pm »

A...

A...

ABS.

Hehehe. That's excellent, your dwarves are so realistic.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: August 24, 2009, 09:52:40 am »

I was bored.

I raise you one abstract dwarf-like figure.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: August 24, 2009, 09:55:34 am »

hmm. quite.  ;D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: August 24, 2009, 01:49:23 pm »

I'll see your abstract and raise you one crypticly confusing engraved scene of a Dwarven Warlock, Elves, Dwarves, Goblins, Corpses, Magma, a Throne, and a Fortress.
The Dwarven Warlock is accending to the Throne, Magma is coming from fountainheads on the Throne, the writhing Corpses surround the Dwarven Warlock, the Dwarves are fighting the Goblins, the Elves are eating the Corpses, the Fortress is The Shades of Destruction. This Engraving is depicting the rise of the dark lord Urist the Malevolentmagics in 351AG.

Sorry its in Obsidian and Marble, but I didn't strike near any colorful minerals.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: August 24, 2009, 04:24:11 pm »

This was the description I worked off...

And here he is: The lucky 13th dwarf, Reg Laruzol
He has his favourite black bronze war hammer and olivine braided-pony-tail-holder-thing.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: August 24, 2009, 04:50:49 pm »

Did anybody draw planepacked?

Because... somebody has to...
Maybe I should. Someday.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1138 on: August 24, 2009, 10:04:36 pm »

Did anybody draw planepacked?

Because... somebody has to...
Maybe I should. Someday.
...Way ahead of ya. Didn't start thread yet though.

The only way to test that theory is to Atom-Smash Planepacked and see what happens.

A link, for those who have not gazed upon is immense visage.
Gives me an idea to start a thread of rendering this mothercarper. Basically, everyone render parts of the statue with their interpretation, find out how it all would be placed/illustrated onto it, and well, illustrate this beauty.

Pardon the derail for a moment, but I imagine in all it's glory, it would look like Trajan's Column. Yes, even we made Planepacked here. It's this dimension/reality's equivalent.

Pictures for reference:
Spoiler: Full column (Hi-Res) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bottom portion (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Really up close (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Base (click to show/hide)

Back to topic...

I want my airship!!! But how can we atom smash that monster? It's the size of Armok's fist. :-\

EDIT:
...Wait. A. Second.

IT IS PLANEPACKED!!!!! IT'S THE REAL THING!!!!!

Proof, the statue part of it is on the top of the "column". We already did it some time ago. The "Dwarven Age" was considered, and it was sent back in time. It was said to have been completed in 113 AD. When was Planepacked finished? Or more importantly, when did we send it?

I figure a systematic deciphering of the beauty would get this taken care of properly, and in proper order.

Minor problem; keeping track of it all. Some idea of how to track it would be similar to Toady's bloom tracker by color as posted in the sticky above.

I figure we can have a progress meter marked as well. However, I think a double/triple post would be needed to contain all the text of Planepacked, as ordered by segment (like every 10 lines or so). Every member involved will take their part, and can volunteer to do additional parts if not already claimed.

It's mostly abstracting each component into individual pictures, then figuring out how the statue would look, as well as be decorated. Even the arrangement and design of the statue alone would be a task that can be assigned.

...Screw it; I'm up for tracking, and probably handling some of the bits and pieces.

Oh, and someone with massive talent should illustrate the final product. 3D designers are welcome to render it (the 2D rendering if finished first) in 3D. Or vice-versa if necessary.

We can consider this the forum megaproject.

ALRIGHT DWARVES, GET YOUR CHISELS READY! WE'VE GOT ALOT OF WORK TO DO!!!!

EDIT:
Additional notes before I get cracking on it will help. I'll allow maybe 15 or so minutes before I open it up, so I'm all ears before I start.

POST-EDIT EDIT:
You know... It doesn't help that this thing has 203 FRIGGIN' LINES!!! I will definitely need to triple post if necessary. Especially if I have to include coding for the update/progress colors. Ugh. :P

BTW, Working title right now is "FORUM MEGAPROJECT: Rendering Planepacked". I'm open to better title suggestions.

The character limit is 40,000 per post right?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 11:00:07 pm by Itnetlolor »

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: August 24, 2009, 11:26:09 pm »

Here's a pen sketch of a goblin swordsman.

I know they usually wear full plate, but I like the way he looks without it.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 561