Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1404680 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #2730 on: December 26, 2009, 02:28:54 am »

20 years is a good age to get babies, thus I was suspicious about that girl. Nevermind then.

BTW Fault, I want you to draw more elephants :D. They are scary and cool.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: December 26, 2009, 03:28:56 am »

Well. I consider it by complexion, she looks like she's ~13. I don't know where you see such slim girls in 20, probably it's location-related.
To give some facts why I think so: if you look on a pic with me (in the post with my crossbow dwarf), that girl has bigger shapes (kinda hard to see because of my back :D) and she's 16. And she's asian which are considered "flat" by russians (sorry for possible insult for some audience, I am not a racist).

She has huge knuckles though, something you rarely see on girls :).

P.S. OK I think  I get it now. We probably live in different parts of the planet where people have different proportions, thus something I consider "a bit bigger than normal" you consider "abnormal". It's all settled now, I've got it.

Yeah, I actually know girls who are past twenty who still approximate your idea of a "13-year old". Although the semblance is helped by the fact that the elephant rider is drawn, and so a lot of details are necessarily left out by the style.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: December 26, 2009, 03:37:20 am »

Actually i find Fault's style to be pretty detailed. The skin features and clothing details he adds by additional lines and strokes do not look like they are there to fill the place, but rather like a texture or necessary details.

Carpfest, I need to sleep :(. I am slacking here again. See you in few hours :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: December 26, 2009, 06:43:30 am »

thank you for your compliments about my style.  :)

*ADRESSING ARTISTIC CRITIQUE*

it looks like an actual female warrior

You saw what I was going for, Josh. I tend to shy away from exaggerated armour and weapons (the likes of which are seen in older Dn'D editions or World of Warcraft) and go for a more practical design. I do utilize some ornamentations (like the studs on the arm guards or the ribbon on the axe) but I try to keep them to a minimum.

your elephants (and most animals) are creepy

I have tried to move away from that, actually. The elephant in the picture was intended to look gruff and battlescarred, not undead. It's probably because I didn't use a reference to draw it that it came out so unnatural-looking. that's not to say that an elephant shouldn't look menacing, just that it should be menacing in a more believable and realistic way.

Also, what other creepy animals have I posted here? I don't remember posting a lot of animal drawings here, mostly just humanoid races.

she doesn't have knockers the size of her head.  Duh.

she may have come out a bit too flat, actually. Perhaps its the restrictive armour, or perhaps she's an amazon, and has had her breasts removed (some of them actually did that...). But nevertheless, on the subject of female warriors in history, it has been brought up many times that breasts tend to get in the way during combat.

If you consider it by complexion, she looks like she's 13.

how can you tell her complexion when the picture hasn't been coloured yet?  ???

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: December 26, 2009, 06:51:15 am »

Wouldn't women that have extremely active lifestyles be flatchested, because of some biology reason that I can't remember off the top of my head? You'd think a warrior would fall into that.

Breasts are mostly fat, generally athletic people don't have much fat, which is why athletic women tend to not have large breasts, breasts also bounce around which apparantly hurts like hell, which is why alot of female athletes bind their breasts up.

she may have come out a bit too flat, actually. Perhaps its the restrictive armour, or perhaps she's an amazon, and has had her breasts removed (some of them actually did that...). But nevertheless, on the subject of female warriors in history, it has been brought up many times that breasts tend to get in the way during combat.

Only one breast, and it was so they could fire a bow.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: December 26, 2009, 06:58:13 am »

yes, but what if they needed to be able to aim the bow with both hands?

...I know it doesn't make sense, but WHAT IF?!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: December 26, 2009, 06:59:01 am »

That makes even less sense than you think.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: December 26, 2009, 11:13:14 am »

What about dual-wielding the bows? :)

how can you tell her complexion when the picture hasn't been coloured yet?  ???
Sorry I meant constitution/build. "Complektsya" in russian which comes from "complexion" means "constitution". I guess it's a bad example of transliteration.

Also, the real reason why I thought she's a teenager:

While her body is slim, her face is kinda rounded/wide. Usually grown-up women who are slim has more elongate facial features and often visible cheekbones/dimples.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 11:17:35 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: December 26, 2009, 12:27:17 pm »

Faults elephant rider is awesome.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: December 26, 2009, 12:42:14 pm »

With Fault's blank eyes, you can never tell the age.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: December 26, 2009, 03:08:43 pm »

what the heck do the eyes have to do with the age?  ???

Also, Deon, your claim about constitution does make sense. I'm used to drawing humanoid figures stading straight-up, and facing the viewer (so to speak). The figure of the elephant rider is in a more dynamic, foreshortened position, something I'm not as used to, which may have made her body look disproportionate or otherwise younger than it should.

Oh, and about her face... I wasn't really trying to draw that part realistically. It was a more idealized version of a female warrior, who, in reality, would probably end up looking like a grizzled, battlescarred man after fighting wars her whole life.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: December 26, 2009, 03:24:39 pm »

Armor also tends to hide a figure a good bit. Women don't want armor that accentuates anything, it would catch weapons and cause rather painful hits. Women in real armor tend to look just like men in armor, for the most part. Even chain mail tends to squish things in a way that de-accentuates even well endowed women. So I think Fault's picture is very well done.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: December 26, 2009, 03:39:06 pm »

what the heck do the eyes have to do with the age?  ???
Everything. I'm a pretty good age-guesser, and it's all in the eyes.

Fault's empty eyes are pretty undead though, making them entirely black is better than entirely white/yellow. Black eyes are common in nature, entirely white eyes are creepy, and are only seen on blind or dead creatures.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: December 26, 2009, 04:51:24 pm »

you'd be surprised how fast something's eyes turn white once it dies............ in Biology, the frogs we dissected, their eyes were white after only 30 minutes after they were killed... kinda scary really, though not as scary as the epic looking elephant!
Nom nom nom

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #2744 on: December 26, 2009, 05:29:38 pm »

That elephant is rather awesome I`d say.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 561