Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1405663 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*
« Reply #7590 on: August 10, 2012, 01:49:59 am »

Thanks for the kind words and compliments, everyone  : )

Composition seems fine to me. What were you going for that you think you missed there?
Lots of unused potential, mainly. So much negative space. So much of the painting which is completely unused.
Silhouettes are bad, anatomy is shite, blah blah so on. Main point being that it all just doesn't fit together well,
mostly because of just sloppy planning (ie. No planning whatsoever).

If anyone is interested in the speedpainting video of the ...well the painting, I have  a linkie right here, buddy.

I recall that you had a high-resolution (1920x1080, IIRC) version of your last painting. Do you have such a thing of this one? I think it would make an excellent wallpaper!
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7591 on: August 10, 2012, 07:42:21 pm »

Thanks for the kind words and compliments, everyone  : )

Composition seems fine to me. What were you going for that you think you missed there?
Lots of unused potential, mainly. So much negative space. So much of the painting which is completely unused.
Silhouettes are bad, anatomy is shite, blah blah so on. Main point being that it all just doesn't fit together well,
mostly because of just sloppy planning (ie. No planning whatsoever).

If anyone is interested in the speedpainting video of the ...well the painting, I have  a linkie right here, buddy.

Your style would look right at home in a current D&D manual.  It's professional quality.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: August 10, 2012, 08:06:39 pm »

How long does it take you to compose one of those pieces of art, Tofu? Can't really tell from the videos. Which are awesome.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7593 on: August 10, 2012, 11:18:07 pm »

Here it is in 1920x1080 resolution : http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6757
Hope you enjoy it...intensely.

Your style would look right at home in a current D&D manual.  It's professional quality.
well, thank you, much appreciated. Don't know about that myself, I don't think Wizards of the Coast would hire me.
I don't quite have the range or design knowhow to do the job anyways....but I'm getting there!

How long does it take you to compose one of those pieces of art, Tofu? Can't really tell from the videos. Which are awesome.

This painting took about 3 hours, which is normal time for me. I try to keep it around 2-3 hours so I keep my speed and the  "energy"
of the painting at a relative high level. So, that video is 3 hours compressed into 4 and a half minutes. I want to be able to make things
quick, and in as few strokes as possible....but that isn't exactly workin' out. I still make a lot of useless, shitty strokes that only make
me cringe hahaha. All self-deprecating humor aside, thank you : )
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 11:24:40 pm by Tofu »

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: August 11, 2012, 11:18:19 am »

Hey guys. Thank you for the compliments, I really enjoy knowing that you like my work, even if I'm not happy with it myself.
So, I got around to making another little thing Dwarf Fortress related. I hope you like it, and sort of get what's going on,
because I seriously messed up the composition on this one, hahaha.

The filename...

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: August 11, 2012, 02:53:52 pm »

The filename...

I know it ain't exactly pg, heh. I just have no idea what to call the files when I first create them. Names do tend to get strange
if I ask a friend or something. You have no idea what sort of weird stuff you'll find in my PSD folder....

I can change it if you deem it necessary?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7596 on: August 11, 2012, 06:45:53 pm »

Tofu, I think the composition is pretty successful. The eye is drawn to the important bits, the dwarves and the goblins, and it's obvious from just people's positions that the dwarven party is blithely approaching the goblins waiting in ambush. This atmosphere is further enhanced by the contrast between the bright and gloomy parts of the forest; the dwarves are walking down a serene, sunlit road, and although they are experienced enough to keep their guard up, they can't see the goblins hiding in shadows. Yeah, there's plenty of dead space with nothing interesting on it, but that's okay. I'd say it adds to the piece. Builds tension, just like dead bits in movies.

You might have a point about anatomy, though. The center goblin is fine, but the one on the left is kinda terrible. :)

And speaking of terrible anatomy, here is my contribution to the lengthening of this thread.

EDIT:
Crossposting from the Weekly Art Focus thread. Theme was "Swashbuckling kobold adventurer".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:35:17 pm by Soadreqm »

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: August 17, 2012, 11:56:33 am »

Thanks, Soadreqm. Don't agree on you with the negative space there. Makes it unbalanced in my eyes, but thanks
nonetheless.
Also, yeah,  All I wanted down in  the left  was a black- ish shape, but I didn't want it to be completely flat.
The centre one is terrible as well though.
Your swashbuckling kobold adventurer  is awesome.

Did a couple compositional sketches to show how I think I could've done better on the last one. They're ok, I guess.
I also did a...uhh... a sort of design-ish thing for a courtyard? a simple one, but one that is a little cool to me.

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
« Reply #7598 on: August 19, 2012, 05:43:10 pm »

Tofu, the different elements blend in perfectly in your last image.
Seriously digging it!

Because I haven't posted in here for some time
Might as well show you my latest pieces

Urist McGuyFieri

Both more or less requests I got from fellow players just like yourself  :D

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7599 on: August 20, 2012, 11:20:44 pm »

Tofu, the different elements blend in perfectly in your last image.
Seriously digging it!
Awesome, thank you very much! I'm a huge fan of your stuff : ) What software do you use for your vectors? Just photoshop or something?

And if anyone is reading this, I'm currently just chilling with, of all things, an arm injury. It's fine though, but I'll have a lot of free time on my hands so:

Anyone want to request something?

I'll do small paintings like in the last post for fun : )

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7600 on: August 20, 2012, 11:25:29 pm »

Paint this fortress.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7601 on: August 21, 2012, 09:08:45 am »

All the animal men.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: August 21, 2012, 05:45:05 pm »

Paint this fortress.

As you wish. You got me slightly out of my comfort zone.

All the animal men.
Hnngh, dear, sweet, gentle jesus, have some restraint? I'll give you a giraffe-man or something ,but holy cow are there a lot of animal men hahaha

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7603 on: August 22, 2012, 02:03:22 am »

Okay, how about your take on a horseshoe crab woman? If you're feeling frisky, a slug man and/or a thrips man too.
But .... It's so small!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7604 on: August 22, 2012, 02:18:21 am »

Horseshoe crab people? Must be hideous beyond reason.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 561