Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1406707 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*
« Reply #8130 on: July 02, 2014, 10:15:09 pm »

Pardon my ignorance, but I have to ask -- is Adventure Time itself a parody of classic Legend of Zelda?
Ya, know I never thought about that. I don't think so but it might be.

It incorporates tropes and conventions from all works of fantasy and adventure, not just Legend of Zelda, but it most heavily borrows from role-playing games, Dungeons & Dragons in particular. It's not a parody; it's a celebration. It truly revels in and typifies the genre; in fact probably more than any other TV show, because it rejects many of the conventions of narrative. Storylines often trail off with no clear message or theme established; heroes often leave with no positive moral reinforcement and problems are often left unresolved, or worsened. In this way it reflects the rolling narrative of tabletop role-playing games, or indeed real life.

I like Adventure Time :)
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

XArgon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ATTACK_VERB:wink]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8131 on: July 03, 2014, 01:38:24 am »

A giant winged blob. :)

You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #8132 on: July 04, 2014, 03:40:34 pm »

Nicely done I say.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: July 04, 2014, 04:14:08 pm »

It's not a parody; it's a celebration.
I'd say that's not mutually exclusive, considering most Legend of Zelda parodies are celebratory (even in poking fun) in my experience. 8^) [ETA:] The same goes for Dwarf Fortress parody, come to think of it...

(I was sure I'd seen the "sword through the title horizontally" thing in a Zelda title screen or box art somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. A Link to the Past had the sword through the Z vertically if I recall correct, and just about every title in the old days had the sword somewhere nearby, but... eh, maybe it's just me, or maybe I'm forgetting the one instance where it was through the title horizontally.)
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8134 on: July 04, 2014, 08:37:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: July 05, 2014, 01:42:00 am »

He might simply be young.  Sure he's wearing armor, but dwarves become independent at 12 if I remember right.

He looks a little worried, and hesitant.  Maybe a bit effete.  His hair is long but his beard short.

I'm definitely getting a young noble feel from this one.

How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: July 07, 2014, 03:54:35 pm »

(I was sure I'd seen the "sword through the title horizontally" thing in a Zelda title screen or box art somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. A Link to the Past had the sword through the Z vertically if I recall correct, and just about every title in the old days had the sword somewhere nearby, but... eh, maybe it's just me, or maybe I'm forgetting the one instance where it was through the title horizontally.)

Wizardry back in 1981 was the first massively popular computer game that I recall that prominently featured the "sword through the title" motif.  Considering how many other cRPGs trace their legacy back to Wizardry, I suspect that's the origin of the meme as such; but I'm curious as to where it actually originated.  I'd guess book covers, either of P&P RPGs, or sword & sorcery novels; but searching for that sort of thing is tricky and it's been quite a while. 

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: July 09, 2014, 04:13:04 am »

Wizardry back in 1981 was the first massively popular computer game that I recall that prominently featured the "sword through the title" motif.  Considering how many other cRPGs trace their legacy back to Wizardry, I suspect that's the origin of the meme as such; but I'm curious as to where it actually originated.  I'd guess book covers, either of P&P RPGs, or sword & sorcery novels; but searching for that sort of thing is tricky and it's been quite a while.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say the first uses were likely based around the Excalibur legend.  Someone surely considered a sword through the title as a clever take on the sword in the stone.  But yes, hard to research something like that.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: July 09, 2014, 09:23:50 pm »

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:31:32 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: July 09, 2014, 09:29:26 pm »

Kick-ass cloak rendition right there.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: July 10, 2014, 02:00:44 am »

True detective style ^^

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • not for trees
« Reply #8141 on: July 10, 2014, 10:02:43 am »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8142 on: July 10, 2014, 11:37:47 pm »

"Hm...What say you, dwarven caddy? The 5 iron? Very well."

XArgon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ATTACK_VERB:wink]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: July 11, 2014, 03:05:10 am »

This is a most affectionate and loving fan-art of the new version. :) The new version is awesome, and it's all for the best! :D

You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: July 11, 2014, 04:06:12 am »

This is a most affectionate and loving fan-art of the new version. :) The new version is awesome, and it's all for the best! :D

Haha!  Nice
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:00:52 am by Farmerbob »
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 561