Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1401082 times)

Blackdutchie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*
« Reply #6165 on: January 29, 2011, 06:58:55 am »

Unib Tobulazuz Titthalgemsit Itdun: Retrieve arms.
Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Flying Carcass
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
The first lesson taught by DF is patience.
The second: Madness.
The third: Magma, properly applied, solves all problems.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: January 30, 2011, 03:40:19 am »

I painted the interior of a Dwarf Fortress. the graven monoliths are stockpile warehouses, and the pipes are for transporting water and magma.

this was the first time I really used the multiply layer function.

originally this was a black and white watercolour. I added colour and touch-ups using SAI.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: January 30, 2011, 04:04:32 am »

The watercolor base lends it a really great texture. Really has that dwarven feel to it, too - carefully hewn out of the rock and bathed in the glow of magma. >:)
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: January 30, 2011, 05:04:17 am »

Damn, that's beautiful. I mean, your drawings are normally great, but in the sense that they represent something well and have interesting design, and are well executed. This is all those things, and it also is extremely aesthetically pleasant.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: February 04, 2011, 09:10:07 pm »

I attempted to colour a watercolour of a dwarf using digital media...

the results were mixed. I guess it looks kinda good, but it's not the aesthetic I hoped I'd get.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: February 04, 2011, 09:25:36 pm »

Kinda reminds me of LoZ: Wind Waker, with a bit more detail.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: February 04, 2011, 09:26:37 pm »

Faultless, Fault
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: February 04, 2011, 09:35:57 pm »

It looks fine, Fault. It's not as remarkably unique as stuff you do other ways, but that's okay. What was the aesthetic you were trying for, here?

On a different note: I saw a Gamzee posted elsewhere which looked to be your style; have you done other homestuck stuff which I might find somewhere around?

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: February 04, 2011, 10:23:06 pm »

What was the aesthetic you were trying for, here?
it's embarrassing how little this looks like what the idea was... long story short, I have become enamoured with the aesthetic used in the works of Sam Bosma, Kali Ciesemier, Emily Carroll, Hiimdaisy.... there are a lot of artists who have this intriguing look, actually.

I like the way they use colour and outline - there's tons of detail, and yet it never appears convoluted - some stuff is outlined, some stuff isn't, and it never looks inconsistent - and there's always such a profound completeness to the image. You can never tell where the artist started and where they finished, every element fits together as if the piece just sprang fully formed from the paper.

I love this look and I can not for the life of me wrap my head around the process. It was stupid to just slap colour underneath a watercolour and think it'd be anywhere close to it... I just gotta keep experimenting I guess.

I saw a Gamzee posted elsewhere which looked to be your style; have you done other homestuck stuff which I might find somewhere around?
uh, yeah, a bit . what was the picture you saw that looked like I drew it?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: February 04, 2011, 10:36:56 pm »

What was the aesthetic you were trying for, here?
it's embarrassing how little this looks like what the idea was... long story short, I have become enamoured with the aesthetic used in the works of Sam Bosma, Kali Ciesemier, Emily Carroll, Hiimdaisy.... there are a lot of artists who have this intriguing look, actually.

I like the way they use colour and outline - there's tons of detail, and yet it never appears convoluted - some stuff is outlined, some stuff isn't, and it never looks inconsistent - and there's always such a profound completeness to the image. You can never tell where the artist started and where they finished, every element fits together as if the piece just sprang fully formed from the paper.

I love this look and I can not for the life of me wrap my head around the process. It was stupid to just slap colour underneath a watercolour and think it'd be anywhere close to it... I just gotta keep experimenting I guess.
Ah, I see what you mean. The closest I can get to that would be to figure out some large, monocolor zones (with clean edges, of course) and then put some very minimal bits of color on with about 10% transparency, to get things like detail and shading. Doing more of that would look more like Bosma, less would look more like Ciesemier. The most important bit is the contours, the coloring is just a sort of an afterthought.

I saw a Gamzee posted elsewhere which looked to be your style; have you done other homestuck stuff which I might find somewhere around?
uh, yeah, a bit . what was the picture you saw that looked like I drew it?
It was the one titled "Bard of Rage" in that gallery, but modified such that MSPA notifier parsed it as transparent.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: February 04, 2011, 10:54:14 pm »

I really like the beard effect, Fault. It's just about perfect, I think.

Does kind of make the rest of the figure a bit...2d compared to it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: February 05, 2011, 02:03:18 pm »

Ah, I see what you mean. The closest I can get to that would be to figure out some large, monocolor zones (with clean edges, of course) and then put some very minimal bits of color on with about 10% transparency, to get things like detail and shading. Doing more of that would look more like Bosma, less would look more like Ciesemier. The most important bit is the contours, the coloring is just a sort of an afterthought.
yeah, that makes sense. I think I've been forgetting another important element, though... it seems like it'd help the composition if I had backgrounds for these images rather than just dudes floating in white space. I mean how is the image supposed to look complete if I don't... complete it

oh and another thing... noses are usually darker and more redder than the face surrounding them... except when they aren't...

It was the one titled "Bard of Rage" in that gallery, but modified such that MSPA notifier parsed it as transparent.
oh, yeah.... that notifier image was pretty popular back when everyone was on about psycho gamzee... glad to see it's gotten around I guess.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: February 09, 2011, 09:06:36 pm »

This is what i feel when i see the ghosts. I also tried out writing a signature. This is the last time i add one into my art. I was going to make that picture transparent but i forgot to remove the white background, my fault.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:08:24 pm by Comrade »

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: February 10, 2011, 12:26:05 am »

That actually looks pretty spooky, nice job. It's a real shame you forgot to remove the white, I think it would have given a lot more emphasis to the eyes/mouth which I think you gave a nice spooky glow effect.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #6179 on: February 11, 2011, 08:28:07 pm »

Made this dwarf mini (1.7cm):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was my first try. I made a better one today that was designed for casting. Right now it is under a blob of silicone and fate is uncertain.
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 561