Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1388581 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #2580 on: December 10, 2009, 08:29:50 pm »

i finally finished that new elf pic. here's a comparison of the old versino with the recent one:

and

what I find weird about the new costume is that I designed him wearing gloves and sandals. His hands are covered, but his feet are not. hmm.

anyway off to drawing a big, violent beard-tank.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: December 10, 2009, 09:31:52 pm »

Anyway, DF doesn't have canon on the beard/no beard issue.  The beards are included in the raws, they just don't have brackets.  So it's easy to switch them on or off.

Female Dwarves in the next version of DF do not have beards. Toady has repeatedly stated that he doesn't think female dwarves have beards. The DF canon is pretty clear on the matter.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: December 10, 2009, 09:36:45 pm »

Anyway, DF doesn't have canon on the beard/no beard issue.  The beards are included in the raws, they just don't have brackets.  So it's easy to switch them on or off.

Female Dwarves in the next version of DF do not have beards. Toady has repeatedly stated that he doesn't think female dwarves have beards. The DF canon is pretty clear on the matter.

I'm also of the opinion that female dwarves don't have beards in any fantasty lore.

Anyways, I like the newer Sylvan picture better than the other one.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: December 10, 2009, 09:39:40 pm »

I'm also of the opinion that female dwarves don't have beards in any fantasty lore.

They have beards in the Discworld.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: December 10, 2009, 09:41:57 pm »

Okay, MOST fantasty lore. I haven't read Discworld, so I'm not influenced by that.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: December 10, 2009, 10:08:30 pm »

Okay, MOST fantasty lore. I haven't read Discworld, so I'm not influenced by that.

Considering the wide-reaching scope of different kinds of fantasy, trying to suggest that there's any cohesive image of 'Dwarves' across the genre is rediculous.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: December 10, 2009, 10:11:31 pm »

Yea well, in most or just about all fantasty stuff that I've read where female dwarves do appear, they don't have beards.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: December 10, 2009, 10:12:50 pm »

Who cares.

Like I said- we can put beards on anything.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: December 10, 2009, 10:29:45 pm »

Beard Golems?

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: December 10, 2009, 11:29:33 pm »

Yes indeed, there can be beard golems,  spawned from torn off dwarven beards.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: December 10, 2009, 11:39:55 pm »

Considering the wide-reaching scope of different kinds of fantasy, trying to suggest that there's any cohesive image of 'Dwarves' across the genre is rediculous.

I'm not going to link it, but isn't there a TVTropes page named 'All Our Dwarves are the Same'?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: December 10, 2009, 11:41:23 pm »

Yes indeed, there can be beard golems,  spawned from torn off dwarven beards.

Sounds like a awesome art project.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: December 10, 2009, 11:48:20 pm »

what about artemis fowl dwarves?

sure, they dig.. but they do it by unhinging their jaws and chewing through the soil. Which they then eject from their rears as compressed stone. also, they have prehensile beards and glowing saliva.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: December 11, 2009, 12:31:12 am »

I'd say they're really only named dwarves- but they're closer to an existing cliche of mole people. Illusion of creativity. Not that they weren't creative, but they're also not as far from established concepts as the 'misnomer' would lead you to think.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: December 11, 2009, 01:06:47 am »

what about artemis fowl dwarves?

sure, they dig.. but they do it by unhinging their jaws and chewing through the soil. Which they then eject from their rears as compressed stone. also, they have prehensile beards and glowing saliva.
Yeah, we'll just leave that in the dark where it should stay.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 561