Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: McUrists of Agerelics: Weremice, Now Making Artifacts![43.05][Players needed!]  (Read 38975 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: McUrists of Agerelics: Dwarven Drive-in succession/community game
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2016, 03:15:13 pm »

Heh, it's been so long, I forgot about the aboveground rules.

But as far reports go, I personally stick it to just mentioning what few exceptional dwarves there are(great skills/top tier attributes/vamps). Skill and farm assignments require what Sanctume mentioned, tho :V

Btw, I think you know, but JSYK: As it is 43.05, Therapist isn't an option, so getting a list of who likes what and how suitable their stats are for a given jobs requires manually working all those things into a spreadsheet by going over each individual dwarf.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2016, 03:25:17 pm »

Interesting. Count me in.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2016, 07:06:47 pm »

Introduction: An Offer Letter

Late-Winter, 80

Rigoth ‘Snacks’ Mountainreleased mutters to herself while stowing rice plants in a barrel, “I finished up some work.  I am very satisfied.”   

“Yeah,” she nods her self-affirmation on leaving The Society of Women behind to migrate on to a new chapter of her life. 

She pulls out a couple of hemp sheets from her silk robe, and ponders back ...

Shortly after her arrival here in the Agesrelic Outpost in mid-autumn, Snacks also concludes a meeting with Liaison Endok confirming her acceptance to the position.  It would then be the responsibility of the liaison to relay this information to the higher ups. 

After the enthusiastic congratulations from the liaison, then followed by her fifteenth name-day fussing of her family, the rest of the winter season became a blur of busy work and self-indulgences.

"I dream of creating a great work of art someday, yet I am completely unmoved by art or the beauty of nature and I am conflicted by this as I value artwork and its creation." Shrugging, she stuffs the papers back.

Spoiler: ”An Offer Letter” (click to show/hide)

1 Granite, 81, Early Spring

Snacks recites a composition, “I cannot see the beauty of the world when my eyes have been spoiled by pleasant colors and those around me are masked in artful depictions.

Alas, in my blindness, I have come to appreciate these unassuming blandness which some refer to as vanilla.  What heretic would believe such nonsense!  Try, of yeah non-believer, for vanilla is a great binder to flavor. “

“What in the vermin-turd are ye bablin’ about Snacks?” asks cousin Athel, a farmer by trade.

“It’s just these lands and these wood palisades to shelter that enormous farm--they are a waste of effort to mass produce instead of hand-cultivating tiny plots to encourage variety for the discovery of flavor.”

Athel sighs,  “Shut yer trap n haul them plumps.  Tortoise has customers to feed.”

Snacks says, “I’ll make some changes here, don’t you worry.” 

Athel questioningly stares with her sunken jade eyes, “I’m three years older than ya cuzzin, you will not be makin’ change here.” 

Snacks continues, “Oh, but I will.  I officially start today.”

--

In a kitchen in somewhere in Agesreclic, Tortoise dabbles in a minor temper-tantrum.

“What are you talking about? What? What Overseer?... I am your boss here! You're not- HELP! It's a revolt! Somebody call the guards! MUTINEERS! BANDITS! Where is everyone loyal to my administration?!

Agrh, you peasants.  You will ruin it!  You will drive the project to it's end!  What am going to do?...  I am filing a complaint!  Yes!  The CEO of McUrists will certainly help me!  I must hold out until…” 

Tortoise points a wooden spoon at Snacks, “What are you looking at?  Go do the cooking--me?!”

Snacks stuffs a bag of plump helmets in the barrel. 

“Miss Tortoise,  I am officially starting today.  I’m thinking that I am destined beyond picking plants and hauling mushrooms. I would like a corner office on the second floor.

And I want to scout the land and discover more herbs, bushes, and leaves that will bring much flavor to your culinary endeavors.  And of course a small orchard. ”

Tortoise winced for a moment after tasting the batch of mussel roast with minced mushrooms.  “Shit, you may be right, go on by yo-self.  Go out there, yeah, outside, and bring delicious edibles you find.  Don’t let no tower talk scare you like ma best man Unib says.  Hey, wait a minute.  What office?  What official start date?”

“Didn’t Liaison Endok or any of the higher ups tell you of my acceptance?  This is from the CEO herself.”  Snacks shows her copy of the letter.

Tortoise exclaims, “Well I’ll be free to just cook my masterpiece! So, just you understand, I am the boss of this kitchen.”

Snacks enthusiastically agrees and left for the outdoor.  Upon pondering what was said, Tortoise exclaims, “Hey wait another minute, what is wrong with my cooking?”  Tortoise thinks to herself, “I could really use a good meal.  I’m not uneasy.”

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2016, 09:10:14 pm »

*looks at that personality*
*snrk*

Indeed.

Tortoise being a cook she has grudge with?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2016, 11:18:13 pm »

Well, Snacks had to have her resume written somehow, but who's to say she did not outsource that "notes about me" back in the Mountain Hall?

No grudges for Snacks.  3 pages of relatives, 2 friendly terms and passing acquaintance with the 2 customers.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2016, 12:16:03 pm »

Well done! If you don't mind, I'm adding the offer letter to OP since the piece is just dank (and well-written overall).

Also, here's an opinion on the further development:

From the personal log of Tortoise the Chef:

"Un-frigging-believable! Baroness Rith... That... That b-bitchy hag left me alone with these peons! Oh no, you don't do that to Tortoise... Soon, Wetbust will be left far behind with it's wet shirt contests and sunshine on tap... We are coming! I- I'll show them who's in charge here!

First, I am ordering them to level all the existing aboveground farms and move them outside! That's what Snacks have been talking about for a while... Don't care, no one will notice! She did nothing, I am doing... Things! So, farms are moved ourside and a fence about two-urist tall will protect those! Magnificent! Meanwhile, that makes just enough room inside for quarters! Most brilliant idea! I bet that Snacks girl couldn't have thought of such design!

Also, I am thinking of giving permission to start a hunter's club here... Really, no one here knows how to shoot crossbow properly... Nonsence! How hard that can be? Just the string, then tie it to... Or, eh, what was it again... Doesn't jmatter, we need some trained crossbowdwarves in Agerelics!"
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2016, 12:58:41 pm »

That's second time Tortoise opposes the rule and rules of Rigoth in two days. First ordering her around, then wanting to arm people...

I wonder if it will be three for three, with the chef earning a little pancake course as a reward *intrigue*

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2016, 01:11:52 pm »

(ooc, did someone just peeked in the)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2016, 11:53:52 pm »

Chapter 1: McUrist Weapon-Free Zone

North sector, outdoor survey

Snacks goes to work surveying the trees near the wooden palisades.  She designated trees for cutting, and saved some trees for an orchard area.  Definitely the olive tree, and some variety of fruits: date palms, orange, guava, papaya, and coffee cherries.  A walled orchard with attached condos would increase the value of the property.  Snacks makes a note to discuss a debate between overhead sky-bridge, or secured dwarven tunnel access.

Woodcutter Kadol happily swings her copper battle axe to the task.  Kadol says, “I felled a tree.  That was very satisfying.”

Southwest sector, fisherman’s wharf

Cousin Ber, Erush, and Grandpa Edzul proposes the establishment of the Fishers Union. 
I am not against this idea, but they need to realize that family and business are separate entities. 
Our meeting agrees on the following:
Department of Resources
Producers Division includes Fisherman
Support Division includes Fish Cleaners

In order to improve production of raw fish, which includes our current supply of mussels, a fish processing facility will be erected in the southwest sector along the brook.

15 Granite, 81

Customers and trade partners arrives from Moniririli, and so the elf merchants are welcomed to unload their wares in the trade depot.

This looks to be a promising transaction just as Chef Tortoise announced a creation of masterpiece ☼mussel stew[8]☼.

I delegate the negotiation tasks to Grandma Meng as I also temporarily promoted her to the Broker and Manager position on top of her Bookkeeping job.

Snack: What do you mean they are opposed to wood?

Meng: They are elves, dearie.

Snack: Please address me as Miss Snacks.  Let us keep this conversation professional.  Our products are made from organic, gluten-free, zero fat, quality meals, and natural fermented refreshments.

Meng: Their opposition is towards the containers.

Snacks: They don’t like the cherry wood or chestnut barrels?  Are they all hard fibre intolerant?

Meng: In a way, they consider trees as kin.

Snacks: I can understand that may be an issue. 

Meng: They are interested in our stonewares, the white mugs in particular.

Snacks: These dolomite mugs are prototypes, they aren’t even branded with our logo.

Meng: What else do we have that is not exposed to wood?

Snacks: We’re not in the business of selling rocks.  I suggest placing some mugs as a token trade in order to see what the Moniririlian elf merchants have to offer McUrist.

I left grandma Meng, I mean Mrs. Meng handle the negotiations with the wood intolerant elves.

I notified Miss Sazir, The Miner to excavate a few more dolomites and order a batch of white mugs. 

Perhaps the Mason shops should set down below--I will have to research this idea if such a workshop below ground is compliant with McUrist Safety Standards.

20 Granite, 81

Agesrelic Outpost welcomes 23 migrants, thus increasing our population to 37.

Catten, the woodcutter joins the clear cutting the west side of the outpost.
Ustuth, Ranger
Mistem, Ranger
Atir, Ranger has a steel crossbow with 36 bismuth bronze bolt
Melbil, Ranger
Zuglar, Furnace Operator
Vucar, Woodcrafter
Sarvesh, Fishery Worker
Monom, Fishery Worker
Dastot, Fishery Worker
Rigoth E., Fishery Cleaner
Lor, Farmer
Edzul B., Farmer
Nil, Herbalist
Kib, Mechanic
Stakud, Mechanic
Thob, Peasant who likes spears and breastplate
Obok, Child
Kulet, Child
Degel, Child
Fikod, Child
Erib, Child
Enbok, Child

All hunting labors are on hiatus until formal interviews and psychological exams are completed for each candidate.  Besides, McUrist is a weapon-free zone at this time to promote peaceful transactions with the community at large.

South sector, indoor second floor

The new arrival processing has been interrupted by a commotion on the south, second floor. 

Early reports indicate that a local wild animal, a giant chameleon climbs up the walls and started attacking a fisherdwarf. 

The Security Department have been brushed under the refuse, so to speak, with the cook Tortoise absurdly acting as militia commander.  This will not do as it is imperative to protect our Product Artisans, such as cook Tortoise.

I, Snacks, the current Overseer, immediately relieved cook Tortoise, and promoted Vucar as the new militia commander.  A new squad is commissioned, “The Mines of Curiousity.”

I scanned the personnel profiles for those with at least dabbling skills as dodgers:
Edzul B., Athel, Eruch, Atir, Rigoth E., Melbil, Mistem, Zuglar, and Dastot.

Vucar immediately issues an order to apprehend the wild animal.  The squad found the intruder, a giant chameleon,  on top of the constructed walls already engaged in a fight.  Caught in the moment, more civilians and I joined the battle which included expedition leader Tirist, cook Tortoise, a carpenter, two mechanics, and even two children.
Guard Atir bashes the giant chameleon in the head with her (steel crossbow) and the injured part explodes into gore!  Under these stressful circumstances, the weapon will not be confiscated, and the policy of weapon-free zone must be seriously reviewed.

I jumped down to continue on my tasks, and then looked up shaking my head. 

Our minor victory is met with the reality of this fact: Those dwarfs who remain on top of the wall believe their legs too short thus preventing them courage to hop down.  Argument ensue above while they await for a construction rescue. 

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:01:11 am by Sanctume »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2016, 12:01:40 am »

Chapter 2: Rodent Infestation

26 Granite, 81

Snacks thinks about how to improve security.  The elf merchants only have meager choices that Broker Meng traded the low quality dolomite mugs for grown wood barrels and buckets, as well as grown wooden toys.  No food transaction occurred.

Two human customers arrive and seem to enjoy our refreshments when another commotion coming in from the north gate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With little time for drinks after the construction rescue, the “The Mines of Curiousity” squad intercepted the rodent intruder along with other citizens and customers.

The Weremouse Dasar Beseishas incident report consisted of 68 pages.

Summary:
Patient 0: Mr. Q., Human Pikeman, went drinking after the fight.
Patient 1: Tortoise, Founder
Patient 2: Mebzuth, Mechanic
Patient 3: Zon, Farmer
Patient 4: Rigoth, Guard

Needless to say, Agesrelic needs a medical care facility ASAP, and a doctor.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2016, 02:34:10 am »

Of those fruit trees, only papaya, date palm and guava are brewable sadly. Coffee is especially bad, being cookable only. Was this single-biome embark?

Nonetheless....

And grandma Meng save us from allergies! And bins! And bin allergies!

I see that unarmed combat as brute force attacks has serious trouble against things that are resistant against blunt force attacks. Maybe if they wore steel gauntlets, could they then punch better? Not sure if DF simulates that deep.

Oh snap. Gif videos of attacks are a treat  - that's quite the zoom level. The content of gif, though? Threatening .

And again several dozen pages? I fear these squads may have trouble versus siegers. Hopefully their punching can improve.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2016, 02:49:24 am »

Well, I think a werebeast can be of a great danger to the young fortress and should be dealt with accordingly. I mean, I was thinking of an early necro siege, but still.  Anyway, turtling and arming craftsdwarves with crossbows was totally acceptable under such an occasion.

Also, it's time to put all those cats we don't have to use. McUrists Sanitary Control won't be happy to see our kitchen being swarmed by weremice.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 02:53:34 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2016, 03:03:16 am »

Not exactly making guests feel safe, though. Normally, you don't expect a security guard to carry a gun, after all.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2016, 08:21:13 am »

Plenty of bruising with punches and kicks to the head.  The human pikeman did most of the damage embedding a halberd a few times. 

I did not see a kill shot from our guards, so the Patient 0, human pikeman, most likely have gotten the killing blow--and now he is having drinks in the tavern with no way to discreetly quarantine him from the rest of the population. 

So yeah, I hope I'm competent enough to manage this situation until 23 Slate, the next full moon.

Re: multi-biome.  I think there is a different biome as the bushes available differ in the south and southeast sector.  I did not see hemp, so I hand-picked rope reeds and kenaf for the much needed threads and cloths for medical needs.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:24:19 am by Sanctume »

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2016, 08:25:14 am »

Not exactly making guests feel safe, though. Normally, you don't expect a security guard to carry a gun, after all.
On the other hand you don't expect the troublemakers to be giant mice or even more dangerous threats. Even in the UK where police don't normally carry guns there are armed cops for major problems, Weremice would count.

Also, what is a pikeman doing with a halberd? Isn't that treated as an axe?
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15