Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: McUrists of Agerelics: Weremice, Now Making Artifacts![43.05][Players needed!]  (Read 38976 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McUrists of Agerelics: Dwarven Drive-in succession/community game
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2016, 08:34:55 am »

I'll go over the battle reports again later.  I was only looking for bites and scratches done against probable infections.
I'm sure I read a halberd being embedded at some point.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2016, 09:37:50 am »

Not an official post, but more of ideas for Agesrelic.

As of now, we have a large walled building with 4 3-wide raising bridges leading to the trade depot. 
As I plan for ways to build the 2nd floor to include bedrooms and offices, this will leave little room for actual workshops that produce food items.

It would feel crammed, I think.  So I want to build small buildings outside, think of vendors producing ingredient for McUrist.

So I have 2 planned:
1. orchard for gather zone, and might as well build bedrooms near there.
2. Fish processing by the brook.

But those plans are interrupted because of 2 fights now. The wild animal (giant chamelelon, and the were-rat).
Which further sets back building outside, as we need a hospital soon. 
We don't even have bedrooms or dorm yet at this time--not enough "roof" for above ground.

Now new Rule, Maskrdwarves allowed, use of crossbows?

I am thinking, that as a compromise, a separate building outside, think of it as a Police Security Department Building next door to McUrst.  They can have their training and barracks there within their walls, yet McUrist can still have the unarmed guards squad acting like bouncers.  Link a road from the Security Department to the McUrist building.  And that should solve armed dwarves.  We're in a rough neghborhood.

Here is the rules I am summarizing and formatting for my easy references.

McUrist Rules

Construction
Above ground: housing, workshops, offices, taverns, dinning, depot, storehouses? (drinks and prepared meals?)
Below ground: mines, garbage pits, minor stockpiles (food other than drinks and prepared meals?)

Issues/Questions: farms can be below ground, but ready made food (prepared meals and drinks) should be stored above ground (for display?) on stockpiles.

Trade Depot
Accessible above ground
Trade only prepared meals and drinks.

Issues/Questions: damn elves, need to use rock pots, or plan to make glass containers long term.
Issues/Questions: can we use caravans to give to charity discarded clothing and other trash?

Cleanliness
Disposal of corpses and refuse

Issues/Questions: blood stains on outside/light tiles will not be cleaned by cleaning labor.  Need to de-construct and rebuilt. A challenge. Or find bauxite or petrified wood so the red color hides bloodstains.

Security Department
Rank 10 Labors: Military
Guards, Unarmed or Crossbows
Guards, Light Armors (Cloth, Leather, and Bone)

Issues/Questions: an idea to build a separate building outside, call it police department, or security department.  They can be armed and training, and just part of the neighborhood / block near a McUrist.

Issues/Questions: Can still have a squad of unarmed inside the main McUrist building.

Corporate Hierarchy, Departments and Divisions
For this, a department is composed of one or more divisions.

Issues/Questions: From what I get the gist of "cooks are important citizens" is that McUrist puts an arbitrary class / caste system focusing on it's goals to provide food and drinks to customers.  So I am adding some sort of number/rank to labor in importance from the individual making the final product, down to the support of the products. 

Dept: Product Artisan
Rank 1 Labors: Cook, Brewer

Div: Resource Producers
Rank 2 Labors: Farmer, Plant Gatherer,  Fisherman, Beekeeper, Cheesemaker
Rank 3 Labors: Miner, Woodcutter, and Hunter

Issues/Questions: Possible to keep a "no uniform" squad composing of Miner, Woodcutter, and Hunter with default weapons/tools.

Div: Resource Support
Rank 4 Labors: Fish Cleaners, Butchers, Presser, Miller, Milker, Animal Handler

Dept: Material Production
Rank 5 Labors: Wood Crafter, Stone Crafter, and Bone Crafter
Rank 5 Labors: Glassmakers and Potters

Rank 6 Labors: Thresher, Shearer, Spinner, Weaver, and Clothier
Rank 6 Labors: Tanner and Leather Worker
Rank 6 Labors: Lye Maker, Potash Maker, Soaper

Issues/Questions: Possible expansion to Divisions: Cloth, Leather, Soap, and/or Containers.

Facility Maintenance
Rank 7 Labors: Carpenter, Mason, Mechanic

Mainly Furnitures, Bridges, and Traps.

Security Auxilliary
Rank 8 Labors: Healthcare Worker
Rank 8 Labors: Metalsmith, Metal Crafting, Weaponsmith, and Armorsmith
Rank 9 Labors: Wood Burner and Furnace Operator

Mainly Forge and Hospital.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:49:58 am by Sanctume »

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2016, 10:33:00 am »

Not exactly making guests feel safe, though. Normally, you don't expect a security guard to carry a gun, after all.
On the other hand you don't expect the troublemakers to be giant mice or even more dangerous threats. Even in the UK where police don't normally carry guns there are armed cops for major problems, Weremice would count.

Also, what is a pikeman doing with a halberd? Isn't that treated as an axe?

I was thinking more of "Raising the bridges leaving the guests safe, happy and unaware of armed militamen stationed on the towers". We have some nice roomy battlestations, ought to add in weapon and bolt stockpiles.

Also, about McUrist's rules:

I guess we're going for two types of militia here. One is a full-time troop of unarmed (but well armored) bouncers. Although, Until we get our wrestlers trained, we can have part-time crossbowdwarves, since walking corpses can be much of a strain for unrepared soldiers. As for things being crammed, I think we should expand the site, maybe add some new buildings or another walled-off area for the orchade/garden. Also, I think we should get rid of the ground-level farms inside the main building and build a hospital/some quarters there.

Concerning some issues listed:

1. Elves are a picky bunch. Rock pots should be the thing. Also, nice idea with the mugs. We might also sell branded t-shirts or something.
2. We should rather atom-smash discarded clothing to prevent FPS problems.
3. Blood outside: we'll eventually turn the place into a city anyway.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2016, 10:59:08 am »

@Sanctume: Small buildings....Are you thinking something like 5y × 5x × 2z sets of workshops over downstairs/down ramps for input/output?

Granted, could also go for a skyscraper, tower, forest retreat or hanging catwalks aesthetic high in the air.

Elves: Store meals inside a minecart to guard against rot, then when they come put the minecart on track stop next to depot and trade all closest meals.

Alternatively, make copper minecart and trade that in 1 move.

Red: If you can't find any bauxite or petrified wood, hematite would work - or alternatively, cinnabar tracks.

I think one of the bronzes had dark red as secondary color as well, so could use that one for tracks as well.

Frankly more worried about puking, since I'd guess that'd be more common than bleeding.

@Khan: Yeah, but there are no rules against traps, or even a simple door the BD will get stuck on when descending from a ramp.

(Also, I see marksdwarves getting all the kills by bashing things to death. Feels off if the intention is for dwarves to break limbs by limb locks.)

(But tbh, the main dislike is more about changing the rules of engagement during the engagement :P - not rational when I'm unaffected any way, though)

@Monitor Lizard:

Issue with drawbridge defence is that it keeps visitors out, left to the harsh mercies...."We're closed" sign is not hospitable :v

Regarding branding, an image will have to be decided. However, after one is made, could use a forge to put it on everything :P

Have you tested wrestlers before? Are they more deadly with steel armor to give unyielding punches and kicks?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:02:54 am by Fleeting Frames »

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2016, 11:02:18 am »

How about having a Rangers' Camp just outside? We could easily argue that they are trading raw meat/leather for added protection (for us) and nice meals/drinks.
If we end up with an actual surface city there could be a professional crossbow militia (sort of like late medieval early Renaissance Italian city state) but until then we rely on the rangers for an irregular defence force.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2016, 11:23:52 am »

I like that Ranger's Camp idea.  Maybe I'll have time to build something like it.

A Hunter's Lodge: 2x2 bedrooms on (the 2nd floor) enough for bed, chest and cabinet, and maybe a personalized furniture.
An Archery Range.
A Leather Emporium for fine leather quivers, backpacks, cloaks, boots, gloves, tunic, and trousers.

Possibly a Bone and Shell Shop: Bone ammo, Shell studding on leather, if not shell gauntlets, helms, greaves, and breastplate?

Small buildings: Depends on what workshop to make.
Current in progress is Fisherman Wharf is biggish. 8x in y-axis: garbage chute, floor, and 2 3x3 Fisher.  for it's x-axis, 3 for Fisher, 1 for Grates, 1 for floor.
I did made a 2nd floor, only floors for now, and it is roofed so it's a bunker with stairs and tunnel into the fort. 
(spoiler) I reached an aquifer, so the garbage is only 2z deep, but should be enough since I don't think this is re-animating.  My usual 1x2 atom-smasher deal if it gets completed.  So maybe room for up to 4 Fisher Union members at most: 1 Fisherman, 2 Fishcleaner, Fishcleaner/Bone Crafter.

I am thinking similar to the Orchard.  I was only interested in the olive tree to make oil and soap.  However, I think Kenaf plant may be able to provide soap also.  Plus nearby fruit trees may be good too.  I am just no sure if I wall wall the orchard, or have time.  If I can put a wall, then a 2nd floor housing, 1st floor quern, presser and crafsdwarf shop to make wood jugs since there is an issue with stockpiling jugs and "jugs of oil"

I can also do BD above ground traps.  It will be tricky to defend 4 entrances, so maybe make 4 BD traps? hehehe

edit add:

As of the end of the were-rat fight, all the farms except 1 underground has been dismantled. 

My thought is 7x7 buildings.  With 1x7 strips of farm plots in a 3x7 configuration, a 1x7 with 1x1 center stairs, and a 3x7 adjacent stockpile area.
Basement will be farm plots, seeds and plant stockpile.  Surface 1st floor will be workshops and stockpile.  And 2nd floor will be bedrooms, hatched locked if needed.

Should work ok with:
Cloth:  z-1: cloth plants farm plots; z+0: farmer's workshop, loom, clothier; z+1 bedrooms.  Can be upgraded for paper making, add quern/presser.
Below Plants: z-1: below ground cook only plants farm plots; z+0: farmer's workshop (quarry bush, sweet pods, cave wheat), quern, presser. 
Above Plants: z-1: above ground cook only plants farm plots; z+0: farmer's workshop (what ever wheat making), quern, presser. 
Meat:  z-2: atom smasher; z-1: tanner and leather workshop; z+0: butcher, garbage chute.  Even has room for animal cages for butchering.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:39:56 am by Sanctume »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2016, 11:14:46 pm »

Hm, here's a thought: Try to get some goblins to join the fortress, even as mercanaries.

Since goblins don't need to eat or drink they could wrestle eternally with fair few targets.

That layout idea sounds decentralized.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2016, 11:02:42 am »

I was not able to complete my composition for a post last night

I mean, Snacks has xx days until full moon to make hospital, make threads, make cloths, make something to contain the 4 suspected patients, and keep a wary eye on that human pikeman that is bleeding and drinking in the tavern's open floor plan, and get distracted by

, so I'll get on that tonight hopefully. 

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2016, 09:27:44 pm »

Chapter 3: Action Plan

26 Granite, 81

Snacks takes charge and lays down action plans before the next full moon, 23rd of Slate.

Miner Sazir will first dig out the hospital down in z131, and forgo the aesthetics of above ground constructions.   This is an emergency measure, and for added security, the hospital will be access from below at z132 though a hatch cover.
Spoiler: Hospital (click to show/hide)
Cousin Ber is promoted to Chief Medical Dwarf.  Welcome aboard Doctor Ber.
Doctor Ber starts demanding for threads in order to perform suturing.
I tell Nil the Herbalist to pick rope reeds and kenaf plants.
For the Department of Material Production, I promoted Reg D to handle the thresher, weaver, clothier, tanner and leatherworker labors.  Guard Ustuth is also given plant processing labor to help speed up thread making.
Reg starts building the workshops on the indoor pasture: 2 farmer’s workshops, a loom, a clothier, wood furnace, ashery, and soap maker’s workshop.
As soon as threads are used, Doctor Ber starts demanding cloths for bandages.
--
28 Granite, 81
A bit of good news, Grandma Meng gave birth to baby, uncle, Kel in the middle of the trade depot.  Mrs Meng soon started seeking for a missing infant, and the elf merchants starts preparing to leave.  Kel Paintbalds gurgles, “Madaba!”
--
Miner Sazir’s next task is to dig four quarantine rooms, situated west of the Mason shops, down in z126.
Spoiler: Quarantine Rooms (click to show/hide)
The plan is to quarantine the four patients who are injured by the Weremouse.  Each quarantine room is accessed via hatch cover, and have a drop chute for supplies.  Superior quality beds are placed.
For ease of processing the patients, four new squads are created:
Squad “Quarantine 1”: Tortoise, Founder
Squad “Quarantine 2”: Mebzuth, Mechanic
Squad “Quarantine 3”: Zon, Farmer
Squad “Quarantine 4”: Rigoth, Guard

Thob is promoted to handle all the Masonry jobs.
The hospital was created and more supplies are forthcoming.
The Fisher Wharf roof is completed sealing it from the outside.
Spoiler: Fisher Wharf (click to show/hide)

16 Slate, 81
Chaos descends upon well laid plans one week prior to the full moon.
A second Giant Chameleon climbs up the east wall where there is no constructed floor access except climbing walls.  “The Mine of Curiosity” squad is given an order to kill the giant chameleon.
Child Kulet, expedition leader Tirist, Carpenter Eshtan, Child Erib, and Guard Dastot filled over 73 incident report pages of punching the giant chameleon’s head, and the fight is still going.  The conflict has caused vengeful thoughts to most of the population already, including Patient 4, former Guard Rigoth.
So, 7 days prior to the 23rd, the four Quarantine squads are given orders to station themselves down the quarantine rooms.  Except Guard Rigoth is determined to beat up the giant chameleon but cannot seem to climb up the wall.

Full Moon, 23rd Slate, 81
Mr. Q, the human pikeman is nowhere to be seen.  He must have slipped out of McUrist during the second giant chameleon incident.  Despite the weeks of beating, the giant chameleon is still alive and continues to interrupt the  workers inside McUrist.  The new full moon reveals more rodent infestations while the civilian alert is in progress.
Spoiler: Announcements (click to show/hide)
First, the good news.  Quarantine 1: Tortoise is locked in quarantine room 1.  She is safe from the weremouse infection, but feeling vengeful.
Spoiler: Tortoise (click to show/hide)
Second, more good news, Quarantine 4: former Guard Rigoth, Patient 4 is not infected while not inside quarantine room 4.  She is instead battle raging near the east wall, searching for a way to join the beating of the giant chameleon.  Yes, it is fortunately, she is not infected.
Spoiler: Rigoth (click to show/hide)
Third, is not good news.  Mebzuth, Patient 2 is locked in a quarantine room, and transformed into a weremouse.  He should not be able to harm anyone down there, but he has gone berzerk.

A worst case scenario happens when Zon, Patient 4, transformed into a weremouse in the stairs between the quarantine rooms and the farms.  Unfortunately, Mechanic Stakud was there, victim to Weremouse Zon.
Spoiler: Weremouse Zon (click to show/hide)
The doors between the farms and the stairs to the Mason area have been locked, but Grandma Meng, Baby Kel, Mason Thob, and Miner Sazir is still in danger with Weremouse Zon with only stairs between them.
Grandma Meng set a civilian alert burrow in one of the empty quarantine room, so they locked themselves in hoping for the full moon to wane.
Spoiler: Quarantine Civ Alert (click to show/hide)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2016, 09:43:15 pm »

Um, doors to beds?

I see dead puppies. I may be seeing more of them.

Fair few labours on Reg D. Might eventually want to split off different clothesmaking workshop tasks to different dwarves, when there's more workforce.

Did elven merchants bring no thread or cloth, though :( ?

Ooh those are the quarantine rooms. Hm...If you drop enough rocks down, they can remove ramps by building foors over them.

I don't think you need grates when brook's floor itself already acts like it. Still, I like fishing outposts :)

Oh crud...vengeful thought tantrum spiral. Dangerous. But wait, didn't you seal off Guard Rigoth? Why is he punching the chamelon.

Human pikeman?
I think the best weapon defence could be organized by having visitors just keep hold of their weapons instead of having them confiscated. With enough mercenary  visitors, should be able to turn even a small siege.

Really fortunate Rigoth is not infected.

Really unfortunate Zon wasn't in her room.

Also, I've read werebeasts obey burrows when they see no enemies or buildings?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2016, 10:48:55 pm »

This Pheobus tileset makes some dwarfs look dead.  And animals have the ascii letters, i.e. red "d" is either puppy or duckling.

So there must be some raw changes, but I only replaced the my df copy data/init.txt and not change anything in the region folder.
Text is much readable though using 2D and True Type Font = Yes.

--
I did not see any cloth / thread from the elves.

--
Those ramps are unusable since the z+1 is wall or open space only.  I just not spend time to remove ramps as I was worried the digging will not complete before the next full moon (23 slate)

--
I don't like the brook texture, so I used grates.  And it's a habit for when used over flowing water also.

--
Guard Rigoth ignored the station order to his quarantine room, and instead hang out the east wall, really vengeful against the giant chameleon.  We got lucky.

It is unfortunate that the giant chameleon is up on the wall, and no floor access.  Each attempt to make construction access, it gets interrupted. 

Child Kulet has been beating up the giant chameleon for quite some time now. 

--
Yeah, the human pikeman who fought the original weremouse.  He had some bites and bleeding.  And I forgot to confirm if he used a halberd.
The Weremouse Dasar report now says "No recent announcement."  I might have a prior save

I only remember his name starts with a Q, so I refer to him as Mr. Q.  He is not in the map anymore, so maybe lucked out there too.

The military squad screen did not have anymore "Station" order after they transformed.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2016, 11:28:39 pm »

Regarding ramps, why remove them: so can build a workshop and never leave quarantine.

Though werebeast will destroy the workshop anyway, so might as well be useful for sand/clay/fishing/plant gathering and let someone else handle workshop jobs, but it's a possibility.

But if you want to keep them outside of quarantine, I suppose a clever minecart system with profiled lever on important repeat could stand a chance of work, provided adequate time is provided for sleep/eat/pray.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2016, 11:45:20 pm »

Zon, female. She has the appearance of somebody that is 273 years old, and is one of the first of her kind.
One Kill. Stakud Weatherpaddle the dwarf. d 81.
Deity: Lir
Mebzuth: Friend.

She is uneasy after being unable to acquire something for too long.
She likes Weapon Racks -- so maybe give her own weapon rack?

--
Mebzuth, male. He has the appearance of somebody that is 198 years old, and is one of the first of his kind.
One Kill. Stakud Weatherpaddle the dwarf. d 81.
Deity: Shilrar
Mebzuth: Zon.

He is bored after lack of abstract thinking. 
Make his own library?  Hmm

They are out working right now, and will station 7 days before next full moon.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2016, 11:56:04 pm »

273....Is that a necromancer werebeast or two? Yikes.

At least we know they're not vampires.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2016, 12:09:21 am »

These 2 are founders.  I think the weremouse curse make them look very old.
Have to check the first save to see how old they are originally.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15