Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: McUrists of Agerelics: Weremice, Now Making Artifacts![43.05][Players needed!]  (Read 39723 times)

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile

So, any chance of getting rid of those with dfhack or something? Or that'd be a bit of a nuisance.

Also, what is the "Hermetic Jaws of Mice" site and where is it situated? It's listed as a tavern.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 03:50:55 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

If can block access, can just deconstruct or even cave-in at your leisure *shrug*

If wouldn't be able to block it,giving new access ways or directing animals by pastures/meeting areas could perhaps distract.

Using dfhack, liquids plugin or tiletypes would be able to block the tile a wall, or spawn magma if it is partially magma-unsafe. Alternatively, Roses' remove might work.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, any chance of getting rid of those with dfhack or something? Or that'd be a bit of a nuisance.

Also, what is the "Hermetic Jaws of Mice" site and where is it situated? It's listed as a tavern.

I can just deconstruct the weapon trap (after I pull the lever to close the entry). The Jaws of Mice was a tavern I made for our weremice duo locked in together to produce happy thoughts, I had to open the stockpile I made for them later as I unsafely dumped too much of our thread there (all yarn) and our mooding dwarf needed it. Sanctumes save seems to work, so I will make an update end of summer with hopefully a few things. (Long term we need clothing for the mice or they will go crazy, I think.) Everything is under control, renovation still going on though :)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Give the mice some amulets, crowns or bracelets to wear - preferably ones they like. They'll pick them up after each transformation and get a happy thought.

Assuming they can go crazy at all, of course. Being naked isn't sufficient by itself for most dwarves, no?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, I had some dig designations in the save uploaded that digs up to z-1 of the surface. 
I forgot to remove them, but they won't be dug because it is not part of the burrow that are active. 

Anyway, I was thinking of making some an entry hall, usually 4x10 room with an atom smash surface of 3x10.
With an animal bait at the end, it can attract plenty of zombies. 
I was first concerned that digging up may hit an aquifer from below--but adding a new burrow and unpausing luckily did not hit aquifer on that side of the map. So that may be an option for those undead roaming nearby.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, I had some dig designations in the save uploaded that digs up to z-1 of the surface. 
I forgot to remove them, but they won't be dug because it is not part of the burrow that are active. 

Anyway, I was thinking of making some an entry hall, usually 4x10 room with an atom smash surface of 3x10.
With an animal bait at the end, it can attract plenty of zombies. 
I was first concerned that digging up may hit an aquifer from below--but adding a new burrow and unpausing luckily did not hit aquifer on that side of the map. So that may be an option for those undead roaming nearby.

Yes, realised that animal bait would work on the zombies fine without the stress an open path to the fort produces. (Especially visitors that want to leave are in danger.)

One of the side effects of the crashes I suffered is that I know things now not in the save... e.g. I hit an aquifer very close to your designation (about 10 tiles west) as I wanted to carve out ramps for minecarts instead of constructing them, but that crashed so no half flooded catacombs. Currently whittling down the zombies between the three traps and suicidal visitors. Only 18 roaming around (down from close to 100 max). A sizeable amount catched for further use. (Some zombies are almost fully steel covered dwarf corpses.)

Mice: A few versions back lone dwarves I locked in for eternity always went crazy sooner or later. A tavern provides easy happy thoughts and making some clothes every 2 years should not be so hard as well, even if the workshop does not last. Something I would like to try out with our mice is whether they heal cave spider syndrome (permanent slowing dizziness), if yes a cave spider silk farm might be a good idea. Also, some creature logic might prevent them from going to a workshop area when transforming (if they are usually outside it).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can probably figure out exact aquifer boundaries by tracing the biome boundaries, though that is kind of annoying when there isn't a visible surface difference. And I suppose werebeast logic would indeed work fine for web collection, or danger/swim room locking if one were to search for an use.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

48x48 tiles per region I would assume be the same for biome shifts

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah. Wiki's Desert image is my favourite demonstration of biome boundaries having more noise than that.

Though sometimes aquifers do get cut off at the border of 48x48 tile. (Checking the local map pre-embark with 1x1 helps to discover this.)

Air-only biomes are more rectangular, though, divided into 16x16 blocks (so up to 9 different places to check in 1 48x48.)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chapter 2: Under siege

Cleaning and trying to ignore the outside

With the overhang constructed the McUrists of Agerelics gained some breathing space. They controlled the central restaurant area and the underground below it + the fisheries. Outside was a large number of undead walking. Sometimes splitting into groups, sometimes converging on hapless wanderers attracted by Agerelics famous deep-fried meals. They stood no chance. Slow but relentless dozens of the dead, some of them once fierce and known dwarven warriors covered in steel, mauled them down.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Most inhabitants of Agerelics did not (want to) notice what was going on outside. Food and booze was available and the band was playing louder to drown out the screams of desperation occasionally to be heard through Agerelics thin wooden walls. Still, they could not forget the war easily. For weeks they worked on burying or more often dumping only the dead within the small area they now controlled.

Traps and nightmares

The mercenaries were ordered to equip themselves and train their martial skills. More importantly chief engineer Shem was tasked with the construction of ingenious traps to deal with the zombie plague. Her first design was a simple corridor with a tasty chicken and variety of traps. Some people will choose to die for chicken, she once read in an old codex. And sure, they came... but more were hunting for customers outside restaurant. And the customers inside grew restless too. Some thought of leaving. Her second design was inspired by the minecarts available in the fort. None of it was even moving. Yet, still they managed to compress leather, thread and mussel shells in tightly packed, compact piles - tighter than any dwarf would be able to do even with a good hammering for added density. The zombies would not come voluntarily to the minecart, but a moving minecart might compress them just as tight as the mussel shells.

{OT: The bone&shell qsp was set to dump to the wall delivering it to the non stockpile tile of the minecart generating unlimited hauling jobs in the process. I assume this was not meant as a workfare program :) Since there already were a few qsp's in the fort I increased their number somewhat to get more work out of the central area. More in a later update.}

A circuit made so the minecart would keep moving was drafted and build ... but the earth itself was shaking these days. Was the end of the world near? Would it all crash? Did we condense matter too tight so the world could not withstand and fell apart? Shem saw a flood in the catacombs breaking out of the walls one night. What did it all mean? Was it just a bad dream or a reality that nearly happened. Wherever they went it felt like deja-vu as if they were reliving their days in endless repetition. At some point the nightmares passed. (Thanks, sanctume!) Slowly the different traps and visitors reduced the numbers of the horde, that had stopped growing now the necromancer was nowhere to be seen.

The lowering numbers brought new problems. Visitors both arriving and leaving decided moving through the trapped areas and against the thinned numbers of undead they even managed to reach it at times. And sadly blood was spilled for Agerelics could not just open its doors. These sad incidents at least provided valuable insights. The undead really like chicken. And even though they could not open locked doors they had a mysterious sense of their state moving towards an unlocked door, but losing interest the moment it was locked. Very much unlike the visitors that went straight into the trap only to notice that the door was locked when standing in front of it. {Compared to the killing fields outside it was only a few, but there were some serious design problems with the minecart trap, it will be redesigned within the remaining time. More in the next update.}

Another trap was then installed in the northern entrance. Just like the dumped corpses were crushed under bridges, the last moving corpses were crushed under a bridge constructed here. This bridge finally broke the siege on Limestone 18 and the McUrists of Agerelics were once more free to fry. But death was all around them...

Comment: Apart from the minecart trap all other were pretty cheesy, but whatever. I wanted prisoners for later experiments and wanted to break the siege during the year. I already continued to play a little beyond this point. Is there anything people would like their dwarves to do or projects to start in the last 4-5 months?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like Agerelics has steel equipment pre-delivered for it's military (provided it doesn't get atomsmashed). Though, if the fortress gets steel-armored enemies, then...Well. Only one metal can cut clean through steel.

And yeah, I see the trap design problems. You could make it not reset the speed gained by putting the u-turn middles on z-level above, though with that length it might derail, but it'd still have an upper limit on what it could slay and would need to be turned off to recover gear.

But more imporantly, that is an useful difference between visitors and zombies - definitely makes isolating vampire tavern-goers easier.

And so many corpses.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like Agerelics has steel equipment pre-delivered for it's military (provided it doesn't get atomsmashed). Though, if the fortress gets steel-armored enemies, then...Well. Only one metal can cut clean through steel.

And yeah, I see the trap design problems. You could make it not reset the speed gained by putting the u-turn middles on z-level above, though with that length it might derail, but it'd still have an upper limit on what it could slay and would need to be turned off to recover gear.

But more imporantly, that is an useful difference between visitors and zombies - definitely makes isolating vampire tavern-goers easier.

And so many corpses.

It just needs several attempts, some zombies survived a while inside, but in the end all of them succumbed to the minecart, even mere copper as it is. The problem is more the baiting by path into the fort instead of offering a chicken (that should work as well with less cancellation spam and no visitors pathing into it) and the placement of entry and door basically the minecart delivers ppl to the place in front of the door. While locking the door ensures you can grind the one inside, it removes the bait for all the other undead. This makes it a painfully slow trap + requiring oversight. Higher speed (or lower - 50k max - speed and higher weight with filled minecarts) are options to make it more deadly, but I wanted to build it for continuous operation (wherever the minecart stops it will again start moving). It has since been redesigned somewhat, but I will only show it in the next chapter. The next overseer please upgrade to lead (available) or even better gold (not yet available) minecart.

I presume we have nickel minecarts for a reason and someone will work with magma soon.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's a lot of mess, I wonder if The Company will send a Sanitation Crew to help clean up.

Oops, Snacks did not inspect the bone pile if it was done correctly since it was moved during the time some disgruntled wood cutter chopped a tree she's on.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chapter 3: Recovery

Midwinter 83

Since the siege has been broken the McUrists have been busy cleaning up. Dozens of corpses have been dumped. Some usable weapons/armor collected. A collection of codices now rests in the library. The hunting lodge cleaned and bridges constructed (not yet linked). The wooden roads reconstructed (I needed the wood while under siege).

The dual structure with scattered and cluttered workshops in two different regions is very inefficient (and makes the manager pretty useless). A lot of the work done in autumn and winter was preparation for moving back the larger part of the fort to the surface. However, on the surface cluttered workshops and stockpiles made hasty rearrangements unlikely. In a first step broken quantum stockpiles were repaired and occasionally their input stockpiles decreased in size: the first one was the shell & bones one, that dumped into the wall instead of the pile, later the barrel and pot stockpiles that simply did not dump. The second step were new arrangements to clear the cluttered workshops in the northeastern working area. Quantum stockpiles for wood, coal&ash, metal bars, metal weapons, metal armor and wooden products (furniture, finished goods) were set up. It is my firm belief that an uncluttered workshop with close by inputs is better than four cluttered ones with long hauling each time and we need the space anyway if we want to keep everything on the surface. All the quantum stockpiles are on "QSP ..." hauling routes and all the new ones dump to the east (the qsp's set up by sanctume are mixed directions). Most work on two input tiles from the south for moderate, yet steady operation. (Hardly any stockpile links made as this produced a lot of cancellation spam earlier.)

Another project was reworking the transition between the surface and the catacombs. It is much shortened, but still involves a door, a few traps and a raising bridge linked to the same lever as the previous one was.

In the process the hospital was remade as well, it now features traction benches and a clean white dolomite block floor for enhanced hospital experience. It looks much healthier already.

Apart from the miller treated with a similar problem as Snacks at the start of the year it has not seen much patients. The one it did was notable, however, because he was a bard pathing into the minecart trap from the outside (despite locked doors), who managed to get inside once we opened the door and survived with only a mangled left arm. As restitution (and one of his daughters is already living in the fort) he was granted residency. His experiences were valuable in reworking the minecart trap for better performance vs. undead while providing better safety for visitors.

For both traps the position in the lever room indicates which furniture is linked to it within the trap. The one is a simple cage trap corridor with a rooster chained within (currently closed to the outside). The minecart trap features a chained rooster as well, it has no path into the fort anymore to keep away friendly visitors and is made so that the minecart pushes back any zombies that would approach the rooster. The minecart rests forbidden, but will be reentered (via active hauling route) as soon as it is claimed. Then it needs only opening the western bridge to activate the trap. To deactivate the trap for maintenance the southeastern bridge can be lowered and the cart derails out of the loop. Additional safety is provided by half built walls that can be finished rapidly in case building destroyers make it into and through the traps.

Some attempts to work things near the cavern were abandoned, I locked out farmer Sarvesh there and only recovered him while already thirsty and hunting for vermin. This will be left to the next overseer.

Finally, a room in the hunting lodge was floored and prepared for ammo storage (single input, really slow, but steady quantum stockpiles)

Time is almost up.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 08:35:03 am by taptap »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The siege is broken...And heh. My track stops orient in all the ways too :P

What's with two QSPs for food containers?

Not sure that hospital is weremice-safe. Where does the hatch in front of well lead to?

Why was Sarvesh locked out?

As for that hunting lodge, could combine the 3 1x1 inputs into 1 3x1 input.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15