Early Age
- 1 (25%)
Middle Age
- 2 (50%)
Late Age
- 1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 23 - It wasn't fine :'(  (Read 29341 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 23 - Join, Setup, Fluff
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 04:29:30 am »

Oh no. We'll be using llama server. I'm pretty sure I had written up a bit on round 420 when I ran that. Thtb is going to do most of the heavy lifting of picking a map, mods and settings for the round. What you will need to do as a player is relatively simple in comparison.

First off, there's two email addresses you need to know of. pretenders[at]llamaserver[dot]net and turns[at]llamaserver[dot]net

What you do is find the title of the game you are joining, and in the subject line, put that title in and send your pretender to the first email address. For turns you attach the 2h file and just send to turns, no subject needed.

Those files are all found in your applocal folder, once you make a pretender using the tools it should be found there. I'd give more details but I have a class to catch up on, so hopefully it's enough for you to ask more guided questions, heh.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 11:45:16 am »

Ermor can be very harsh on newbs, you could gimp yourself by starting without a awake pretender
I wouldn't call that gimping. It's quite effective with Ermor to start imprisoned to pay for a bless, and use your massive D income to boost your starting mage from 2D to 3D after only a few turns and your starting armies/freespawn are absolutely sufficient to keep you going before that point.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:59:14 am by Cruxador »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 11:57:22 am »

I...I can't believe someone said ASHEN ERMOR isn't noob friendly. I mean for fucks sake its THE most overpowered nation there is. You literally only have to care about death gems/enchantment, and can trash all your scales but luck and magic and be 100% fine.

Hell the GODDAMN AI could probably survive till mid/lategame with Ermor.

Literally the only thing Ermor ever has to worry about is the fact that everyone else will gang up on it for being massively OP.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 12:00:43 pm »

I...I can't believe someone said ASHEN ERMOR isn't noob friendly.
It's not friendly when playing against noobs, not when playing as a noob. Actually, it sucks to play against no matter who you are, there's a reason it wins a third of the games it's in.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 05:38:23 pm by Cruxador »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 12:44:51 pm »

I also don't think I qualify as a noob. I've been holding out my own in the lower rankings so far. Reason I wanted to play it was it tends to get ganged up on, but now that it's mentioned as a noob friendly game, I'm worried that wouldn't happen.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 04:35:01 pm »

Oh no. We'll be using llama server. I'm pretty sure I had written up a bit on round 420 when I ran that. Thtb is going to do most of the heavy lifting of picking a map, mods and settings for the round. What you will need to do as a player is relatively simple in comparison.

First off, there's two email addresses you need to know of. pretenders[at]llamaserver[dot]net and turns[at]llamaserver[dot]net

What you do is find the title of the game you are joining, and in the subject line, put that title in and send your pretender to the first email address. For turns you attach the 2h file and just send to turns, no subject needed.

Those files are all found in your applocal folder, once you make a pretender using the tools it should be found there. I'd give more details but I have a class to catch up on, so hopefully it's enough for you to ask more guided questions, heh.

How do I find the title of the game in an email? Will I get a save file to download every turn?

I...I can't believe someone said ASHEN ERMOR isn't noob friendly. I mean for fucks sake its THE most overpowered nation there is. You literally only have to care about death gems/enchantment, and can trash all your scales but luck and magic and be 100% fine.

Hell the GODDAMN AI could probably survive till mid/lategame with Ermor.

Literally the only thing Ermor ever has to worry about is the fact that everyone else will gang up on it for being massively OP.

Yeah in an AI game I played the AI let Ermor run free and by the time I reached them the amount of anti-undead stuff I had to make was disturbing. Just hordes of priests and indy commanders with those weapons that let you call down anti-undead spells. Even then I ended up losing some battles as undead filled the entire screen and there is that dumb "after X turns shit happens to end the battle" rule.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:40:03 pm by Micro102 »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 04:50:48 pm »

The title of the game is going to be on llamaserver.net. Actually check it out, the top games that are recruiting have their names there.

All you have to do is when sending to pretenders, to have the email subject be the title of the game you want to join.

Also, yes, you'll get a save to download every turn. My advice is favorite %appdata%/dominions4 (also can be written as users/[username]/appdata/roaming/dominions4) so you can access it fast enough. Game downloads to savedgames over there, in a folder you name yourself. Pretenders are also found there if made with the game tools under the newlords folder.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 02:03:31 am »

I could maybe try to coax myself into playing again. I don't think I was ever actually good at it, but eh. Could at least be fun.

Only thing I don't know is what to play. I used to play Pangaea a lot. White centaurs are a lot of fun under a fire/water major bless. :P
I'll look around, maybe pick something else. Especially since I've never actually played with any mods, so I've no idea how Worthy Heroes changes things.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 03:13:59 am »

I could pick someone else if you guys prefer no Ermor

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 03:19:42 am »

Worthy Heroes mostly buffs the (3) Heroes each Nation gets, if you got luck. They get some more flavortext and so on, plus sweet magic paths.

You can play Ermor, if you gimp yourself or this is like your first or 2end game of Dominions4. Various ways of gimping yourself I'd suggest: (Dom lower then 4 // No Temples // Growth Scales (haha) // leaving 100 design points "over" // Setting some self-regulating rules, like never attacking a province without death scales or only moving to "protect" throne provinces // No PD [not a real issue] )

Anyway, glad to have you both.

I would say we get started with picking a map:

Suggestions:
meropis 80-land-23-sea
http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/meropis-80-land-23-sea-horizontal-wrap

Very pretty

italica-94-land-28-sea

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/italica-94-land-28-sea

glacier-bay-120 + 22
http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/glacier-bay-12022

Sidenote:

If I see you won't make a turn, I'll delay the first time, but if I don't get a pm eventually the turn will be forced. If a nation stalls several times in a row, I will set them AI.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:30:37 am by ThtblovesDF »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 03:29:49 am »

Vote goes to italica for now. Also, uh, I'm all for gimps on ermor, but full growth scales is a bit silly, and the 4 dominion or no temples ones are asking for a domkill. More reasonable would be leaving 100 design points over or not taking death scales.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 04:29:56 am »

I could go for a benevolent leader role, where I try to keep the cultures intact and attempt to cast Well of Misery to improve life for all. Always up for trading, not able to start a war with another player, low dom?

Also, I am absolutely horrible at this game, so perhaps I should think this over :P

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 05:29:06 am »

I say Glacier Bay unless we get 3 underwater nations, then Italica.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:21:53 am by Micro102 »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 05:54:23 am »

With meropolis we really won't have a lot of breathing space looks like, so there's that problem. Glacier bay clocks to 17 land provinces per player, which is going to make things a slog. Italica is less than ideal, favoring an underwater nation, but it gives land blubbers 13 provinces per land player or so, which is a good balance. 6 land nations and 2 underwater should be perfect for it.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 08:44:07 am »

Well there is also batcountry

65 land + 8 sea.
No fixed starts.

and Locb7

107 land + 13 sea.

Or, what might actually be my new favourit, the good old Tears of Heavens

94 land + 15 sea.