Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should I replace the dwarves with, if at all?

Nothing, keep them as dwarves.
- 0 (0%)
Eastern Dwarves
- 1 (50%)
Tanuki
- 1 (50%)
Other
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Thinking about making a " Far East " mod and need a bit of input  (Read 4651 times)

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about making a " Far East " mod and need a bit of input
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2016, 02:40:51 pm »

Working on a Naga civilization currently. Wanted to make them egg layers, but I feel like that would be too weird and buggy, so instead they just do standard live birth, atleast for now. I think I'm going to make them more of a neutral civ/chaotic neutral civ rather than outright hostile. They'll probably end up being a bit like elves in terms of ethics.

My friend and I also talked about doing Kinnara and/or Garuda people, probably as a Mongolian themed civilization. Kappa definitely have to be a minor civ.

Also, mongolian death worms. At first I thought about making them just a standard creature, but I'm thinking about making them semi-megabeasts.

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 05:18:31 pm »

Accidentally added an extra : to a token, causing the naga to suffocate upon spawning from lack of lungs/face, fixed that. But now they have two faces on one head.

Creature creation is extra fun.

Edit: Turns out they had two heads, oops.

Edit 2: This is turning out better than I thought. I could have just changed the snake men into naga, but that's the lazy way to do it. Mostly just trying to clean them up and add some flavour text before I actually make the civilization.
Also, I gave them renamed Helmet snake venom. I may change it, I may keep it. I like it because it's a pretty nasty venom without making them too powerful in direct combat due to the delayed effect.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 06:07:36 pm by Sorgklaan »

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 09:23:23 pm »

Naga civilization is working really well it seems, about to move onto the kinnara. But first I need to add some mongolian weapons, and I need a couple more alternative recipes for things I already have.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:31:34 pm by Sorgklaan »

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 07:39:41 pm »

Got a bit distracted doing things, but I am working on mongolian weapons and adding the kinnara currently. :p

I absolutely will finish this mod eventually, but I tend to work in waves between the procrastination. :p

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 08:09:55 pm »

No pressure. I'm sure the attention to detail will pay off once you release it. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 09:17:26 pm »

Currently going back and adding these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagh_naka

I'm trying to make them using the Striker skill, the idea is for them to have very quick but shallow stabbing attacks, to encourage dual wielding. No idea if they will work right, but it's a cool idea to explore. :P

I'm really shitty at making creatures. I'm just sort of doing the best I can and hoping I can come back and improve some of them. Tissue layers specifically seem really weird

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 03:54:51 am »

Alright, everything is a lot cleaner and better, it actually feels like an actual mod at this point rather than a cobbled together trashpile. My only problem that I can't figure out is why the Naga can only start with a spear in adventure mode as if they were an outsider, even though they can start in a town just fine.
I keep going back to it and it's just fucked, I can't figure out what the hell is causing. The weapons are fine when you test them by giving them to dwarves, so that's not the problem, meaning it's clearly a problem with them. I'm tempted to just remake their entity file from scratch, because that has to be it.

Also, even though the Kinnara creature is made, I'm still debating how I want to theme them. I'm pretty sure at this point I'm going to make their civilization based mostly around music, and I think I want them to be Mongolian.  I'm pretty sure right now that I want to have a second mongolian civilization that is based more traditionally on raiding and pillaging, I don't know what sort of race that civilization should be yet, though.

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 07:12:43 pm »

Sorry about no updates, haven't been in the modding mood recently,  been exhausted. However, I finished making a really badass Mongolian Death Worm megabeast, I spent like 6 hours trying to make it balanced and sort of burned myself out for a while, a couple days ago I went back and rebalanced a bunch of the weapons after playing with them in the testing arena.

I figured out my problem with the Naga, I completely forgot to add the [EQUIPS] token, that made me feel really stupid, but atleast it's fixed.

so yeah, mostly just fixing, cleaning, balancing. I was going to do the kinnara after the mongolian death worm, but then I got attached to the death worm and wanted to make them feel really nice and balanced. So I'm going to TRY to do them now and hope I don't get distracted again. :p

Codician

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 07:58:27 am »

I'd recommend bakemono goblins as the goblin replacement or dwarf replacement.

newsamsam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2016, 04:17:54 am »

According to my limited knowledge,there isn't a race specifically for underground dwelling in asian mythology.Everybody like lives on surface or above.
Tengu or kappa acts more like individual magical creature.They could appear in small groups like animal-people,but never appears in large scale.
I'm asian btw.

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2016, 02:10:01 pm »

If you don't mind could you make one of my favorite Japanese legendary creatures the Gashadokuro
Wiki link:

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2016, 02:52:13 am »

If you don't mind could you make one of my favorite Japanese legendary creatures the Gashadokuro
Wiki link:

Absolutely, would make an amazing semi-megabeast.

I haven't done much recently because I've felt like shit, with winter coming up and it getting cold. Just that initial winter depression.

I have been talking a lot with friends though, and I want to just type out some of the ideas we had.

First the kinnara, I think we decided that they are going to be much more primitive and tribal than I was originally going for. A culture mostly based around music and romance, with natural skill in music. We agreed that with them being bird people, they probably would not at all like mining or being underground, so we decided against giving them metal weapons. The solution we settled on was to allow them to make a sort of laminated wood, about as light as wood, with an edge similar to copper, and give them weapons based on that, mostly spears and ranged weapons like elves. I also want to give them magic based on music, such as a song that makes people dizzy or drowsy.

For the major mongolian civ, the idea I like the best is for them to be modified humans, name them Hordesmen possibly? Not quite human though, my friend was sort of thinking of Shan Yu from mulan. hawkish yellow eyes, claws, perhaps other features.
that was just the idea I liked the best so far though, that could very possibly change.

As for Japanese civilizations, I have no idea still, there are too many good options.

Chinese civilizations are tough because most of what I was thinking is just too damn generic. Panda people? Tiger people? Dragon people? it's all way too obvious. The idea my friend and I liked the best was to make a major civilization based on this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xing_Tian
It's fun, it's dwarfy, and it's unique. I like it.

So I *think* I  know what direction I'm going to take at this point, but the more ideas and inspiration I get, the better.

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 08:41:16 pm »

All very interesting!
Though if you you end up doing a  Mongolian civ you have to include some of their famous history...

and the wiki on the Gashadokuro is sadly lacking so i'll leave this if you need more information
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For inspiration!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've always  Xing Tain to be hilarious though a whole nation of him is going to be unstoppable!

Hope you get over your Winter Sickness!
 :D

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 10:44:07 pm »

All very interesting!
Though if you you end up doing a  Mongolian civ you have to include some of their famous history...
It's not that they're meant to be actual mongolians, just taking heavy inspiration. That's really the whole mod, it takes a lot of heavy inspiration from these cultures and their history, but many things will be taken out of their original context and reinterpreted.

Not trying to recreate, just taking a lot of inspiration.  :)

EDIT: Was talking with my friend. :p

Friend: let's see if we can't get historical
Friend: okay so
Friend: The Mongols also appreciated the visual arts, though their taste in portraiture was strictly focused on portraits of their horses, rather than of people.
Friend: I love this
Friend: It is both very interesting, rather relatable, and somehow quite Dwarf Fortress
Friend: >both
Friend: not both
Friend: there are three things
Friend: it is COLLECTIVELY

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:46:33 pm by Sorgklaan »

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 11:36:29 pm »

I have a slight problem and I'm not entirely sure what to do about it. Basically, all my weapons are currently named what they would be in the language. Qiang, dao, talwar, gada, tabar, ono, yari.

The names feel really awkward and out of place, and I'm feeling like I should just try to convert them to english names, and to condense them down a bit. It would open it up a bit for me and make it easier to make each of the civilizations I make a bit more unique.

But if I do that, I feel like a lose a bit of the flavour. I think I'm just going to rename some of the swords and polearms with fitting english names, and the major outliers can stay as they are.

Some of them are just reskins anyways, the Talwar is just a slightly skinnier scimitar. I just don't see the reason to be so specific when I'm not really being historically accurate anyways, it just feels messy and unorganized. And it would be confusing as fuck to play.

Pages: 1 [2] 3