Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Masterwork Dwarf Fortress Kobolds: Jonabaimpsene, "Stupidsanctum"  (Read 11113 times)

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Dwarf Fortress Kobolds: Jonabaimpsene, "Stupidsanctum"
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2016, 10:45:51 pm »

The chronicle of the year 104 (second half):

Weretapir was the only real excitement.  Settling in nicely.  As soon as front entrance remodeling done, I'll increase the speed from 1/2.  May bump immigration cap too.  That will add some stress to the supply situation.

http://imgur.com/a/oE8uY

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2016, 07:44:16 am »

- Hm, is there anything the bold caravan won't take, like the elves?

- My last civ could sell faint and light yellow diamonds and emeralds :)

- Aw for pack. They'd have made for fine  guard dogs.

- Lots of clothesmaking! I usually tend to go for "citizen armor" if brothering. Not much long-term fortresses.

If I do it, though, I like to use workflow :v I think it should discount worn/claimed clothes to always ensure you have some fresh in stock, but haven't played long enough to test it.

I think they're grabbing leather gloves because of the higher modvalue of the leather you're using, and I would have guessed, not mathing it out, that dying won't beat it. Use bone gauntlets instead, those will never be picked up?

Hm, reminds me to test burrow + auto loom thread for keeping a hospital supply.

Though categorizing it works too, I guess. Might leave wool for mood and hospital only.

- Yeah, fixing location assigning to naturalized citizens is in the pipeline.

Praise the sun.

I've sometimes had dwarves put quires into chests in library, but usually they don't. Annoying.

- Had some experience with two werebeast recently. Both killed 1 herbalist  before turning back. One of them got trapped by my entrance design (ramp to surface+door right next to it = buildingdestroyer too close to destroy door. Haven't figured out what trap to use there yet)

Yours started to destroy the depot. Check it with t.

I think a stone door can be enough to slow down werebeast to turn back? Not sure.

Nice dodging on that bold, though. Dual daggers, too.

Good that it came from the depot side, though. Other way could have climbed. And seems you want to trap all invaders?

- Remains disposal...Atom smasher, heat or cold work. I think refuse stockpile is accelerated a bit?

That's all, I think.

- I would have one for salamander sign. Need 15k to legendary and 4 levels are only like 3,5 or 4,5k, so would reach it sooner.

- Nice happiness.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2016, 08:51:03 am »

Bolds take everything.  No restrictions that I am aware of.  The limits for bolds are on what they bring.  No mining products, except some cut gems (which they probably stole), no picks, weapons and armor made from cobalt (and bonemold for armor), kobold pets (which are useful but limited), etc.

I hate the military setup process. Hate it. :p  But I get around to it eventually even for civilians.

Looks like the dyeing worked, barely.  I made 10 pairs of leather goods and all, or close, were sitting there when it finished.  I didn't even have to sit on the building and watch for completions.  I love it when a plan comes together!

I just use autoloom with a feeder stockpile set so one type of thread doesn't get woven.  Or two in this case.  Just weaving all the plant threads.

Aha!  That may be what the weretapir was up to.  Didn't occur to me.  Worked out okay though. :}

Stone door?  What's that?  We're bolds!  I wonder if a clay door would qualify.  Maybe glass door though.  That's treated as metal.

Refuse stockpile didn't get rid of the goblin skeleton though.  It just sat for years until I smashed it.  I prefered process them to meat, bones, etc.  Loved making furniture from enemy bones (especially as orcs and bolds!)  And bolds loved eating them too.  Toady going PC on us?  (Or game design because just too much food in killing invaders?)

Don't have many salamanders. But suppose I could use the weaponsmith since that isn't looking all that useful.  Not sure it matters much in the long run though.  The backup will be a sally.  Coal is not an issue with a booze burner. Workflow manages making the booze fine, and can just leave the booze burner on continuous.

Did finally get back to using workflow right.  Clothes and drinks and a few other things completely automatic now. 

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2016, 12:27:01 pm »

Military setup is greatly simplified by DT (for avoiding miners and the few woodcutters) and macros (as uniforms are save-specific).

As long as it isn't wood door, those are BD 1 targets and I assume that means they go down easy.

You need decades. I think at least 40 years? Out of refuse, it wears down in 200, iirc.

Pretty sure that, yeah, eating sentients is out and hardcoded - remember mermaid farming? Still, I think it is more that dwarves being able to mermaid farm was considered bad and if you weren't dwarves, well...that's not primary audience.

Mm. I prefer to keep major and mood jobs on different citizens. In the really long run, skill slows down so attributes and preferences for things one makes can win, but that's with equal learning speed.

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2016, 01:26:33 pm »

about that tree climbing baby, y didnt u just cut the tree down?

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2016, 01:35:17 pm »

about that tree climbing baby, y didnt u just cut the tree down?

I didn't realize it was lost until it was dead.  And then I found it when its ghost appeared.  Then I slabbed it.  Its skeleton is up a tree somewhere being gnawed by porcupines.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2016, 05:07:59 pm »

The Chronicle of Year 105:

http://imgur.com/a/lAyvi

Main entry operational (and decently defended.)  Tree barrier done.  Need to build a road or two so we can keep trading.  Trees.

All kinds of Imgur errors right now.  Time for a break.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:51:30 pm by vonsch »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2016, 08:10:03 pm »

- Piers are unsafe, but I still dream of doing a fishing outpost over the ocean someday.

- Track Stops don't get attacked by BDs, iirc - they're considered trap buildings.

- I think dfhack's clean all does remove poison coverings, yeah. Try just clean map instead to deal with trees?

- Huh, never bothered with bard/poet difference. Though, researching the mercaneries I get they seem to often have great but useless skill - frequently tracking, but I've seen other civilian skills too.

It depends on your world, though.

- Oh yeah, about depots: rivers can divide the site and make caravans able to come only east or west of it depending on civilization, iirc. So 1 underground to map edge may not be enough.

- I think if they're not holding it in their hand (instead strapping to body) when stationed they won't use it in combat.

Adventure mode would be useful for me to understand how useful is armor user and how much does armor weight down. All I really know is that it does.

- Huh, I guess natural skills can make growing up bolds a little more useful.

- Heh, your abovegrund fortress is eating up surroundings. Getting grander :v

- I'm certain beasties can climb sideways. I've seen both troglodytes and dwarves doing this. Also, in adventure mode you can climb diagonally too.

However, can't hold onto ceilings I think, just tree branches from above.

- For exact spot defence, defend burrows work. Annoying for new spots compared to station, but once you've set it up once it is about same.

- Poisons are somewhat interesting to me, though in melee combat you want ones that apply pretty much right away - doesn't really matter much otherwise. Vanilla, I think you need evil biome or nasty FB. Don't really want to hunt keas with husking poison, though.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2016, 09:03:40 pm »

Underground to map edge?  What are you, a dwarf?  Kobolds don't (can't) dig!  Just building a plain road.  Trade caravans will have to take some risks, but trees zapping them should not be one!  Assuming that's what happened.

I have a sneaking suspicion everdream poison will be most all around useful.  Even a short nap will make enemies really vulnerable to meleers.  Targets on the ground get headshots real fast.

But a question just came up I haven't researched.  The resident elves' cloths are falling apart (or close to).  Will they appropriate clothes if I buy them from a caravan?  Bolds can't make large clothes for them.  I think Pandas bring large clothes though.  Have to try it in any case, or have to be prepared to deal with insane nekkid elves!  I expect.

Bolds get to make their own poisons and they do look nasty NASTY in some cases.  As in vodoo and nether horror.  Both are so nasty they are a bit scary to deploy.  I guess undead wouldn't be too bad... right?  What could go wrong?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2016, 09:59:07 pm »

Can't you set details on clothesmaking shops to make clothing sized for elves?

Undead are stronger as a rule, can't be applied to inorganic and give bad thoughts, so...But yeah, everdream sounds useful. Though vampires for instance have no_sleep, among others, so no luck on those.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2016, 10:10:02 pm »

Oooo, I had not stumbled over that option.  Thanks!

But will they appropriate the clothes?  Time to find out.

They will and they do.

And a Titan has come...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 11:25:19 am by vonsch »

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2016, 02:13:01 pm »

Oooo, I had not stumbled over that option.  Thanks!

But will they appropriate the clothes?  Time to find out.

They will and they do.

And a Titan has come...

is the titan gonna wreck the fortress and destroy all the kobolds

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2016, 03:09:00 pm »

No way to know. For all we know, it might sneeze, throw itself into a tree and explode.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2016, 08:55:00 pm »

The Chronicle of the year 106

http://imgur.com/a/zG8Vg

Death comes.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2016, 10:57:25 pm »

- Exciting telling.

Cool that poisoned darts are different color. Glass, of course, but still.

Hm, bone-shattering and unaffected. Aw, spider could have webbed it onto a trap. But yeah, pets = meatshields at best.

Oh yeah, blowdarts don't have Maxvel. I think they're best shot from right above?

I always prestation military so that they can equip without charging. If they need to equip, they can stay behind anyway.

Hehe, Kobolds are agile. Though so small, the spider was tons bigger. One hit may be enough.

I think it suffocated due spinal injury from Elite Wrestler.

- No fruit tree harvesting?

Raw glass...Maybe? Don't think it qualifies for moods, at least.

If everdream is meant to make target sleep for a long time, the time it takes to shoot 5 bolts definitely doesn't qualify. But might be through pain? Then NOPAIN things like FBs are immune.

- Okay, so pets are not completely useless as killers after all.

- How much armor are you going to give to bolds? With their size, crushing blows seem more dangerous than usual.

Don't think leather on it's own is heavier than clothes. Same weight, I think.

- Huh, 15. Do kobolds even marry?

- Hm, does workflow recognize large clothes for constraint? Never tried.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4