Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Masterwork Dwarf Fortress Kobolds: Jonabaimpsene, "Stupidsanctum"  (Read 11111 times)

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Dwarf Fortress Kobolds: Jonabaimpsene, "Stupidsanctum"
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2016, 12:04:46 am »

i like the bark scorpions name- gleeevils. i assume its pronounced gleeevils and not glee - evils :P

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2016, 12:09:34 am »

Poisoned darts aren't different color.  It's just green glass versus bone.  Green glass darts are green.  I just only poisoned the green glass ones.

I'm not harvest fruit.  Bolds have no use for fruit... except as one more thing to make booze which they don't like much. 

Raw glass appears to work for poisons.  At least I made the one calling for raw gems and the raw glass was the only rough gem I had (unless it's using cut gems... which I didn't check.) 

Still haven't tested everdream.  If it knocks them down for 5 seconds, that's enough for me.  Sets them up from head shots and takes them out of the fight that long.

Can't put a lot of armor on a bold.  I tried leather armor under cobalt shirt, either combo is too heavy, or their space of armor prevents both.  I suspect the latter.  Meph considers Kobolds the advanced and "hard mode."  Which they would be except invasions seem not to happen.  I suspect the fact they don't get export credit is the reason.  Used to trigger invasions when you stole too often, which was cool.  Thievery system not back in yet though.  And Meph having trouble making invasions on demand work.  Hope it gets figured out soon.

I don't know size and weight of armor & clothes in the current DF version.  And Meph tinkers with the race numbers to some degree.  It's trial and error (aka !science!) to figure out what works.  Dodging is a huge advantage for bolds though.  Just have to avoid getting swarmed.

Bolds do marry, I see rooms with couples, but they are less common than with dwarves, I think.  Maybe just because they have less time to develop the relationship to drive it.

I don't have enough data to say if the odd sized clothes are counted.  I think they count (which is sorta bad since it blows the numbers for the larger group.)  Wolkflow isn't terribly precise anyway.  I notice when I clean up (cleanowned scattered) which dumps a bunch of old worn stuff into the pool, it screws things up until those are dumped on a trader, cremated or atom-smashed.

And the whole glove thing is still really annoying.  Just tried to reglove my military and the civs stole all the right gloves again.  Not the left ones.  Weird.  Eventually they all have shiney new leather right gloves and the military get theirs.  Then I need a trader that deals in left gloves to take them away!  I guess that's why their called leftovers.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2016, 12:10:36 am »

i like the bark scorpions name- gleeevils. i assume its pronounced gleeevils and not glee - evils :P

He finally did die though. Lasted a month or so, but some of the damage just wouldn't heal.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2016, 04:57:28 am »

if it is cobalt mail shirt, I think the permit system doesn't allow that. Actually, even if it isn't still doesn't allow that, since I think leather armor is usually worn over shirts.

The reason cleanowned scattered x and workflow together have a quirk is because workflow doesn't count claimed stuff (convenient to produce only as much as you need, works well with the JIT production model it runs on), and cleanowned automatically unclaims them - even if wearing it (most your clothes are x anyway, no? So would target all that. And ownership is assigned at picking up the item, I guess.)

Dunno exactly how to make it only count non-x clothes. Perhaps stockflow would work better for this, since you already have those clothing piles set to take from clothier. Just set up to produce more if clothing pile is not full.

And, heh. What leather are you using for the gloves? Wolf is twice as valuable as cheap cloth, for instance. Bone gauntlets?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 05:00:05 am by Fleeting Frames »

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2016, 07:04:36 am »

MWDF normalized leather by default.  This is good and bad.  I wouldn't have the issue if I'd get around to setting up the militia.  With so few threats I haven't had much incentive.  Gloves aside.

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2016, 07:40:58 am »

He finally did die though. Lasted a month or so, but some of the damage just wouldn't heal.

oh NO! thats horrible  :'( in v34, ye-olde masterwork, gnomes have a animal care center which allows them to heal any animal from any inury with just 1 thread.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2016, 01:15:53 pm »

Yeah, but I think even in legacy it was race dependent.  Kobolds don't have it in current version, at least not yet.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2016, 07:47:27 pm »

The Chronicle of the Year 107:

http://imgur.com/a/yTxIF

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2016, 08:22:35 pm »

Thoughts and problems in Year 108:

http://imgur.com/a/9hAiw

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2016, 08:34:12 pm »

great update! makes me want to play ye-olde masterwork, as gnomes, but im having crashing problems with them ,caused by a human siege. i tried exterminating all the humans using DF command but it still didnt work, so i guess reading about other people playing MWDF will work for now, if i ever get it fixed.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2016, 12:19:32 am »

- Shooters sharing the same spot would be an issue mostly in case of area of effect attacks, I imagine? Fire, poison breath, directional webslinging.

- TREES

Not quite as deadly as FBs/titans in my experience, but...They're present on most embarks from the word go.

- ooh. When does kobold reach of age, anyway, was it 3? Natural skill makes a bit more sense if you will waste half their lifespan skilling up.

And wow, sparring sure can be effective - that's 40k weapon user experience per year, just looking at first two skills. Hm, I can undestrand striker,kicker misc obj and armor...but low dodger? On bold?

- Fishing zone safety makes me think of climbers rather than swimmers(though werebeasts think they can). Grates don't work for perfect safety?

- Your embark looks a bit large. Using only 15% of it or so? Though enemies will take time to walk, and more plants to harvest.

- Old age...Can bolds become vampires? Should be able to, I think. No alcohol dependency either.

- Never had military leader die. Need to play more DF; I guess.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2016, 07:59:23 am »

Dodger is slow.  I think ditching the shield helps.   But shields stop missiles and effects like breaths.  Ans as you saw with the Titan, dodging was just fine even though lower than shield. 

I haven't tried a grate in ages.  Not sure they work for fishing.

Embark is 5x5, which is large.  I like large, though it means waiting out sieges at times (not that sieges are an issue here so far.)  With a large embark the sieges can park fa enough away you can't drive them off without exposing your forces to great risk, compared to working from the walls to whittle them down, then charging out.

I don't know if I just screwed up handling the situation, or if it's a design problem with DF.  Couldn't make any changes to military if not commander.  Wouldn't let me appoint one, guessing because there was no village chief.  I tried deleting the squad commander had been in, but then I couldn't create a new squad to see if that allowed the commander.  It did not.

Then the village commander was appointed by AI and that let me create a new military commander... but recreating the squad (technically, creating a new one) it put it at the bottom of the list.  Maybe I could have kept that first squad and slotted the commander back into the old slot.  I don't know.

Wait, I could try restarting the spring save and see if that gives me a second try.  That might result in a different set of deaths though.  May try that when I go back to it.

Thanks for making me think about it all again.  That caused me to remember I have a save right as these deaths happened.  Didn't occur to me to save scum it. :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:02:03 pm by vonsch »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2016, 10:45:12 am »

I've had some success with grates for pond turtle fishing on a murky pool -  though the dwarves seemed to have drained the pool awfully quick, they still caught a fair few after the building was up and sealed. Though also gave them access to brook, which they also said had no fish before grating up :v

Though in your situation, you can also wall it off and use u-bend through a grate to transfer the water to keep the fishing tile open river tile.

Yeah, the squads get added at the bottom of list. Should have kept old one, would have had higher claim priority. Don't think you can promote squads, iirc?

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2016, 12:45:13 pm »

If there is a way to promote squads, I haven't found it.  Not sure keeping the original would have worked anyway.  The commander is an entry on the list that becomes a squad once he's chosen.  That means he ends up at the bottom.  But I will get around to save-scumming and tinker with it a bit.

I had forgotten how short kobold lives are when I decided to play them.  It definitely creates a new set of pressures on the player.  Forget having a long term town smith or any sort.  Or any other valuable profession.  It especially hurts kobolds with those they learn more slowly than other races.  At least with Salamander signs the smiths avoid penalties to learning. 

Okay, back on track.  After three reloads of the turn of the year save, we got the warband marshal thing fixed.  Everyone who died at year end stayed dead.  No undead bolds roaming the halls.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:02:49 pm by vonsch »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]