Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vilanat's Devbook - Play test my "Roguelike" Card game  (Read 2486 times)

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vilanat's Devbook - Play test my "Roguelike" Card game
« on: March 17, 2016, 05:59:05 pm »

I'll treat this more of a sketchbook whereas instead of posting stuff i draw, i'll post games/mini games i make. most, if not all of these will probably never be completed, but games that are more interesting to me and to others will have more emphasis on them.

First game, posted a while back:

Dwelvers TD - A mini Trap-centered Tower Defense.

Syria Proxy wars - A strategy game with indirect control.

"RogueLike" Card game - a single player card game with elements of rogue like games.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:38:47 am by Vilanat »

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwelvers 2D Tower Defense
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 05:53:40 pm »

This is a mini game i am making to help promote Dwelvers. it's basically Dwelvers hydraulics and traps system simplified and implemented for a Tower Defense style of game.

It's still a work in progress which i hope to update so this post is more of a dev-log than. don't expect too much as There aren't waves yet, only two types of enemies and a limited number of traps/traps interactions. The AI is still pretty clunky and the costs of things are fairly low so there's a lot of room for error.

For my next update i hope to implement a Damange//Damage Type/Armor/Evasion system for the traps/creatures, add a few more enemies and implement some liquid traps like water and lava.

Added another enemy, the Orc, which has higher health so it can sustain more arrow hits.
Added health bars for the Orcs and Impanzees.
Made it so the Impanzees can kill your imps, so now the player needs to force the impanzees to circle around the Dark mother to not hit her. There is actually very little need for the imps beside the early start, since the monsters give enough gold to do without them, even if every Rogue manage to escape your traps and steal your gold.

Another slight change i made is that the Rock balls activate the pressure plates. this gives better control for the arrow+rock ball combo explosion.
The Rock explosion AoE damages has been reduced, but is now damaging as it overlaps an enemy, rather than just hitting it, so stunning an enemy near an explosion is more effective.
Changed the background and the Gold block
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Planned near-term changes:
Lava/Fire trap
Water trap

Water + Rock ball to give the rock ball more momentum as it passes over the water
Fire + Rock ball to make a damaging flaming Rock ball
Fire+Water combo to make Steam, which will temporarily reduce speed and armor
Steam + arrow to allow piercing arrows which can hit multiple monsters
Steam + Flaming Rock ball to ignite the Steam cloud and have larger AoE explosion

Timer set pressure plates -  to help players better time the pressure plate reactions
Weight sensitive pressure plates - to allow players to discriminate which creatures activate which pressure plates (No use in wasting combos on the Rogues which are easily killed and can't be stunned)
Bigger, scrollable map. the current map allows for limited "pathing".

Waves - So there wouldn't be gradually decreasing or constant intervals between creature spawns, but waves which would pose bigger challanges.
More enemies with various weaknesses and strengths, like better armor, AoE resistance, Piercing resistance etc..

You can try to new version by clicking the link in the first post.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 05:20:58 pm by Vilanat »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 02:41:33 am »

I ran out of gold before I could build anything effective...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 03:15:59 am »

Your imp was probably killed by an impanzee too soon. i would have to address that problem somehow so new players wouldn't need to act so quickly..

The solution is to quickly block their path with a few walls so they would have to reach the Dark mother from below or start with a simple pressure plate connected to a bow trap to gain some early gold. early on a few slightly spaced out pressure traps + bow traps can make short work of the slower spawned impanzees and provide for enough gold to be able to stop the orcs and the rogues that come later.

Edit: i moved the imp to the other side, so for now, it won't die so early on. in fact, they could live forever if you don't path the monsters around the Dark mother.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 08:50:24 am by Vilanat »

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 05:21:07 pm »

New Version!

- Enlarged the map and introduced a scroll function (WASD, Arrows, hover with the cursor next to the screen border or hold the middle mouse button)
- Introduced Weight and Time delay functions to the traps. the weight works in ranges, so its possible to exclude both light and heavy creatures. The timer is a simple delay from the moment a creature steps on the plate and the time it sends a pressure puls.
- Hovering with the cursor on a creature shows its HP and Weight
- Added the piggeh, a new enemy. slow, lots of hp, immune to stuns, but has no armor
- Added Lava/Fire trap. it burns and ignore armor and it ignites arrows and rock balls.

I came across a neat solution to tiling the pipes. before i had to check each neighbour with each possible combination to determine the shape of the pipe, but with this system i found on Tigsource i only need to have 4 checks if there's a pipe in the North, East, West and/or South tiles and give points accordingly.  so if, for example, a pipe has a neighbour pipe in the north tile and the south tile, it will get a score of 5, if it got a neighbour in the West, East and South, it will get a score of 14.

Then after calculating the accumulating points, it just needs to be matched to the frame number (It requires to place the tiles in this specific order, otherwise the calculation wont fit the frame numbers)

And walla, not something i didn't have in the previous version, but this time its more efficient

Next in queue
- Water trap (The trap, the interactions and the pump are already done, just the pumping and delivery system needs some work)
- New enemies.
Armored Impanzee, as it sounds, the regular impanzee only with higher armor.
Ghosts, they wont activate pressure plates and will be immune to physical damage (Arrow, Moveable wall push and Rock Ball)
- Proper waves system
- Mini tutorial

I am also debating whether to make it so that the Imps will need to recharge the traps once in a while. it will provide for a challenge in pathing both for the enemies and the Imps and i'll probably need to introduce roads which the Imps would prefer walking over to better control their paths and make an option to reverse the Moveable wall so that it starts open and closes on pressure to allow for interchangeable crossroads.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vilanat's Devbook - stuff i dev
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 05:47:20 pm »

This is a "proxy strategy game". i tried to simulate the player as a power with deep interests in Syria and having to indirectly conquer it through financing proxy groups in it.

The big green squares are support options. you can invest in personnel, weapons, energy (simulating fuel and ammunition) or run air strikes. each cell has a population which leans to either Pro Assad Shia, Pro Assad Sunni, Pro Assad Kurdish, Anti Assad Sunni, so Airstrikes on a Sunni cell as Pro Assad player will generate more rebels from that cell.

The player can direct general movement for larger forces (that green circle) and designate higher priority places like cities which generate supplies.

The game is pretty much put aside until i regain interest in it, but it's definitely not completely dead.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 05:55:23 pm »

Rogue Like single player Card game.

This is what i am currently working on, and so far i love both working on it and playing it, so it got a high chance of being further developed.

The premise is pretty simple. you are a hero going through random events and encounters in a dungeon. there is loot to collect and equip, cards with active abilities, companions that help the player, hero level up, hero active abilities, merchants to buy from and altars to pray for.

The basic game is almost done. the battle system, equipping system, upgrade system and various encounters are in, so what's left is content. lots of content.

Note: Some of these graphics are not mine, i just temporarily used them so my eyes wont get hurt looking at it, but i will definitely change the graphics before uploading a playable build

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 07:38:23 am »

First Playable version i alive!

Click this link to play

I need more players to determine balancing, see glitches etc.. i don't have time to implement a Tutorial, so if you want to test the game, read this first:

Mechanics:
You start the game by choosing one of three characters.
Rogue - Str/Int/Agi scaling of 0.5/0.5/1.5 - Agi is useful primarily for throwing weapons.
Sorcerer - 0.5/1.5/0.5 scaling. Int determine your card spell casting powers.
Warrior - 1.5/0.5/0.5. Str determine the Basic damage the hero can deal.

After choosing a hero, you get a free level up, you can either choose to level up Str, Int or Agi, or alternatively, pick a random card or raise your base stats by 5 HP, 5 Mana and 1 action points. you also get a free random card every time you level up.

To equip the card (That will appear at the top right of the screen) simply click on it, then either click on a slot in the deck (Which swooshes into the screen) or on a yellow slot at the bottom. this is the slots for Equipped Weapons.

After you have Equipped your card, right click to brush off the Cards Deck and click on the green dice at the middle of the screen. a @ character will move one tile for each throw. every throw the Dice draws a random number, if it hits below 30, you encounter a monster, if it hits above 30, it draws another Dice which determine whether you get to find loot (Cards, Potions at the moment)

You have encountered a Monster. you can either encounter 1,2 or 3 monsters, at these chances: 80%,20%,10%.
Battle:
You have limited action points. every action, besides storing a card or drinking a potion will cost you one action point.
There are several types of cards, but for this explanation, let's concentrate on two: Spell casters, Equipment. to cast a spell, click on a spell casting card (They will have a blue circle at the top right with a number, that is their mana cost), then when it glows, hover over a monster. click that monster and you will cast that card's spell on the monster.

You can Throw a throw able equipment card. if a weapon you equip has a red power icon (the Hexagon at the bottom right of the card) it means you can Throw that card at an Enemy and it will deal the card's power multiplied by the Hero Agility (The Rogue is best suited for these kind of gameplay). you lose that card, so make sure you keep it for clutch scenarios. Also, equipping cards mid-battle cost an Action point, so if you plan on keeping several throwing knives at storage, make sure to have enough action points for replacements.

To attack using the Pet, just click on it and click on the targeted monster.
Attacking using the Hero (clicking the hero, then clicking on a monster) will drain all your action points for this turn and pass the turn to the monsters, so use the Hero card last.

After the turn had passed, the monsters will start attacking.
You can see the monster HP at its top right, it's damage at the middle bottom and its level right next to it to the right.
for now, because of lack of sufficient work on the AI, they will attack the Pet first and try to kill it ASAP. you could heal your pet with the Health Bowl or the Healing Card. in the future i will introduce blood transfusions, taunts and armors to help protect the pet.

When in Battle, a yellow button appears on the left side (with a text reading "Run like chicken"). this is the Evasion button. if you click it the button draws a dice and if you hit higher than the evasion chance, you will run away from the monsters unharmed. the chances depends on the number of monsters. 1 monsters needs a number above 25, 2 above 50, 3 above 75. the Rogue gets a bonus 10% evasion chance and there is a robe you can equip that also grants an additional 10%. If the dice draw lower, then you lose a turn and the monsters start their attacks, so don't click it too hastily. if you can kill at least one monster first, it will raise your chances of escape.

Known Glitches:
After Spell Casting with a Card, sometimes the arrow and glow remain on screen. if that happens, right click and they will vanish.
Sometimes Cards stats remain on the screen after a card is Thrown.
It is possible to put two cards in the same Stored slot. if that happens, equipping them and then hovering one of them will enable to separate the two.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:45:54 am by Vilanat »

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vilanat's Devbook - Play test my "Roguelike" Card game
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 01:11:54 pm »

Updates!

Added two more monsters. Slime - when it dies, it has a chance to split into 1,2 or 3 other smaller slimes. Explosive Blob - Upon death it explodes dealing damage to every living card on the board according to your hero's strength.

I also Added two extra cards, an Amulet that boosts your hero and your pet maximum HP and a Collar which boosts your pet's Damage.

I have introduced the Merchant. every 25 turns he shows up with a random set of cards and potions for purchase. still balancing prices and the difficulty curve.

I also made it so that Items can have varying levels. this basically give a greater variety to the basic items. as a steel knife, for example, will not be redundant from level 3 onward but can remain relevant all throughout, if you stumble on a high level one. the price and mana costs scales according to the Item level.

Also, First Card death animation :D

My next project will be to add Altars, Card augmentations, Quests, More monsters, more pets and more Cards.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 03:59:03 pm by Vilanat »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Vilanat's Devbook - Play test my "Roguelike" Card game
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 12:02:15 am »

I just want to say I really like your merchant concept.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod