Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Update 1.14 - Balancing settings, crystal growing, silt/loam sieving, Stals-Fix  (Read 11849 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

::: NEW LINUX VERSION - V1.13 - By Urmane :::
::: Current version: V.1.13 - Updated 5th August 2016 - For DF.43.03 :::
::: The MDF GUI requires Microsofts .NET-Framework 4.0 :::
::: Changelogs: V1.01 ::: V1.02 ::: V1.03 ::: V1.04 ::: V1.05 ::: V1.06 ::: V1.07 ::: V1.08 ::: 1.09 ::: 1.10 ::: 1.11 ::: 1.12 ::: 1.13 :::

::: If you like the content I produce and enjoy playing Masterwork, consider supporting it on Patreon. :::
::: It allows me to do regular updates and add more content more quickly. :::

::: Read up on future goals, vote on polls and make suggestions. :::
::: Or join community projects that add new mod content! :::

New update after my one month break due to cycling/mountaineering. V. 1.14!

This update includes the following:
- Fix for crash involving Stals Armory pack. (There were two duplicate item entries)
- Fix for grazers that starve on surface. (Meadow-grass should now grow in all biomes)

- New feature: The pottery can sieve all kinds of soils.
Sandy, silty, loamy, you name it. These get split into their components, allowing you easier access to clays and sands.

Example: You find sandy clay loam. Take 3 sandy clay loam boulders, split into 1 bag of sand, 1 boulder of clay and 1 boulder of loam. Loam can further be split 40/40/20 into sand, silt and clay.

- New feature: Crystal growing.
In RL crystals can be grown in a solution of alum, salt and water. You dip a tiny crystal into it and watch it grow. Dwarves can do this too. You build a "crystal garden" workshop using potassium and aluminum, then use a gem-stone and split it into 5 seed crystals. These can be planted in any farm plot, and a year later you can harvest your "grown gems", which can be cut into proper gems in the crystal garden workshop.

Crystal garden workshop.

Farmplot full of amethysts.

This gives you access to a slow, self-contained production of gemstones that is based on RL science. You can also grow rock crystals this way, for crystal glass.

- New GUI options!

4 new options to make the game harder if you like.

Slower Farming doubles the amount of time it takes to grow crops.
Picky Nobles doubles the amount of mandates and demands.
Greedy Nobles doubles the required room values and furnitures.
Tantrums (hopefully) reintroduce tantrums to the newer DF versions... maxing out personality values for depression, anger, violence, stress vulnerability and anxiety.

Future plans: I really want to introduce one more playable race... either the undeads, or goblins, or underground-living ratmen, or a insect-hive race, or a water-based naga/snakemen race... still lots of options. I just have to downscale my own expectations, and start releasing them at an earlier, smaller state than I'm used to.

Community feedback: Poll unchanged, but still open for suggestions for future mod features. :)

Patreon: In my off-time, 4 more people decided to support the mod, thank you kindly. :) Releases will start again, every Friday just as before. My next longer trip is some time in Winter, till then there will be a release every week.

Cheers,
Meph
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

Sorry for being extremely nitpicky Meph, but... the plural of undead is just undead. Anyway, suggestion: add an alternate version of the tantrum option that sets the range to 50:75:100 instead.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Multiple types of undead are undeads. :P

Currently the range is 75:90:100, which is almost maxed. ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Multiple types of undead are undeads. :P

Currently the range is 75:90:100, which is almost maxed. ;)

"Undead" is a collective noun. Captures singular and plural all together.  Even if we're talking about a collection of different categories of undead. 

"Undead's" would be the possessive of one or more undead.  Context would have to determine which, if it were an issue.

Yeah... English degrees.  8)

Grammar aside, I was sorta meh on the seed crystals, but I do like your implementation.  Definitely makes drarwf crystal megaprojects more feasible.  May get me to play dwarves next game.

Soil sifting will make random embarks for bolds very doable.  They will almost always be able to access SOME building material this way, even if no trees or exposed clay.  (Waiting for enough leather and bones would be a bit painful with nothing else, but might make an interesting project.)  More labor intensive, but that's not a bad thing.  Can't have too much partying.

Grazing fix appreciated.  Been having real trouble with grazers starving even on large pastures.

Lordsservent-san

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey Meph, I think your tantrums setting is going to be WAY harder than the old vanilla tantrums, because it will take much longer to calm your dearves down and make them stop stressing out and suffering from the negative mental effects.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Hey Meph, I think your tantrums setting is going to be WAY harder than the old vanilla tantrums, because it will take much longer to calm your dearves down and make them stop stressing out and suffering from the negative mental effects.
Thats kinda the point. Its an optional setting, just test it out. If its too much, let me know after you played a bit with it.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile

Thanks for the update Meph. Hope your travels are safe.
"Undead" is a collective noun. Captures singular and plural all together.  Even if we're talking about a collection of different categories of undead. 
"Undead's" would be the possessive of one or more undead.  Context would have to determine which, if it were an issue.
I doubt you have an English degree. Meph used 'Undeads' as a plural proper noun, not an adjective. Not like English has strict rules anyways, compared to regulated languages like French and German.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Thanks for the update Meph. Hope your travels are safe.
I doubt you have an English degree. Meph used 'Undeads' as a plural proper noun, not an adjective. Not like English has strict rules anyways, compared to regulated languages like French and German.
No petty arguing please. No need to attack someone educations, existing or not.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile

Did you manage to give Kobolds Access to anvils? That was a problem before that they had absolutely 0 ways to create an Anvil, so they could not make bone-mold stuff. The Anvil reaction does not exist in the smelter, and Over 10 years and many caravans I've never got an anvil from the Kobold merchants. its not a request option, last I checked.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Did you manage to give Kobolds Access to anvils? That was a problem before that they had absolutely 0 ways to create an Anvil, so they could not make bone-mold stuff. The Anvil reaction does not exist in the smelter, and Over 10 years and many caravans I've never got an anvil from the Kobold merchants. its not a request option, last I checked.
I did not.

You can add those to their entity file:
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COLD_ANVIL_IRON]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COLD_ANVIL_STEEL]

That gives them the option to make anvils in the smelter from iron or steel... defeat invaders, melt equipment, make anvils.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did not.

You can add those to their entity file:
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COLD_ANVIL_IRON]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:COLD_ANVIL_STEEL]

That gives them the option to make anvils in the smelter from iron or steel... defeat invaders, melt equipment, make anvils.

Thanks Meph. Really irked me that I had to cheat in an Anvil to get at Bonemold armor for my bolds.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In my current Kobold game I just had a Pandanshi trader come and he had an anvil in the wagon.  So even without modifying things there is at least one way if you set up things so you get traders from other races.  I think it would be okay to allow kobolds to make anvils from bars once they have their first anvil though.  But not a big deal.  If one came, more will.

I was frankly surprised to see a Panadshi trader.  I had the race enabled but had no idea they would trade with Kobolds.  I know in the legacy version some races would trade with them but don't recall which.  Haven't seen anything other than kobold traders until this one.  Only two years in though.

Until I start seeing ambushes and invasions though, not apt to have much metal to work with.  Can make bonemold and use that for armor, and that's probably the main "need" (as far as sheer number of items goes.)  Crystal glass kobold weapons are looking pretty decent.  Masterwork crystal dagger is rated at 150% of iron.  I haven't fought anything but wild animals so far since updrade (with kobolds) and am not eexpecting wild success with that.  But does appear we should be able to be reasonable in combat. 

So can skill armorers with bonemold.  Other metal skills are much harder to skill until there's a steady supply of bars from somewhere.

Mortiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quick question about compatibility with frequent Masterwork updates:

I wanted to pick up Masterwork again after a long break (since ver 6.2).
I am really glad that Meph has put all this work into new version with so many frequent updates.
However, if I pick up current version and start my fort should I always update to newest Masterwork version or stick with this one?

Any advice appreciated.
"You are not going crazy! You are going sane in the crazy world!"

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In my current Kobold game I just had a Pandanshi trader come and he had an anvil in the wagon.  So even without modifying things there is at least one way if you set up things so you get traders from other races.  I think it would be okay to allow kobolds to make anvils from bars once they have their first anvil though.  But not a big deal.  If one came, more will.

I was frankly surprised to see a Panadshi trader.  I had the race enabled but had no idea they would trade with Kobolds.  I know in the legacy version some races would trade with them but don't recall which.  Haven't seen anything other than kobold traders until this one.  Only two years in though.

See, I've rarely experienced other races trading with my kobolds. They are either too far away, or they get wiped out after 100 years or so by the others. And if you don;t play with Fortress defense races, you are still hooped and can't get Anvils from trading with other 'savage' races.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

See, I've rarely experienced other races trading with my kobolds. They are either too far away, or they get wiped out after 100 years or so by the others. And if you don;t play with Fortress defense races, you are still hooped and can't get Anvils from trading with other 'savage' races.

This may well be the case.  I do like throwing in some fortress defense races for variety, though.  I usually do 3-4 of them and turn off the vanilla nagas.  Heh, I am lazy and don't like having to deal with water-borne invasions.  Fliers are enough.

I hear you on the anvil issue and I don't disagree at all.  I'd like to see thievery in and some way to get anvils through stealing (maybe steal a plan for anvils or something... or steal a first anvil (ugh! heavy!) and have the ability to make more once that first forge is up.

I was prepared to cheat in one myself earlier with my confusion over cauldrons.  But that was my old eyes failing me :p 

Btw:  Booze burner works great for fuel supply.  It's my first time using one with any race.  Usually have plenty of coal so never bothered.
Pages: [1] 2