Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First lost fortress  (Read 799 times)

zodegis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
First lost fortress
« on: September 09, 2016, 10:04:33 pm »

So I found a nice serene setting with tons of resources, arrived and started digging. A few seconds later some mountain gnomes showed up and drank all my booze. I figure, I can recover from this, especially since my dogs killed all the gnomes. I keep digging out some rooms for storage and a couple of workshops. Then this cloud of (something evil) ash shows up. It doesn't come near my dwarves or my entrance, so I ignore it. I keep digging and getting things set up. Then my first wave of migrants show up. As they're headed for the entrance to go to the meeting area (planned future dining hall) they pass through said cloud, and all turn into zombies. Then they start attacking the dwarves still outside that are moving supplies to inside stockpiles. In very short order the only dwarves left alive are my 2 miners, who are happily digging away unaware of whats going on up above them. That is until the zombies find they're way down to the miners and kill them.
While this is the first fortress that I actually lost, I gotta say it was a very short but fun fortress. I got almost nothing built and just some mining done along with some moving of supplies.

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First lost fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 07:28:28 pm »

My first fortress was lost because I underestimated Dwarf Fortress. I figured I didn't need to read up on it, and could just play. My dwarves starved to death because I couldn't figure out how to maintain a food supply. Poor dwarves. They also had no alcohol. Poor, poor dwarves...

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 09:23:33 pm »

My first fortress was drowned when I attempted to make farms.
RIP poor Urists.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 10:32:38 am »

My first fortress was lost because at some point, I decided to connect my underground farms with the rest of the fortress and neglected to build a wall on the outside.  So of course before I got around to this, there was a huge goblin siege (huge at least by my standards), and when I pulled up my drawbridge, assuming I could kill them at my leisure, I was suddenly shocked that they were pathing in through the farms which I had cleverly connected to my armory/barracks area.

The trolls nearly immediately slaughtered all my trained troops and I went down throwing weaker and weaker fighters at them.  Then the goblins arrived.  Then the beak dogs. 

By the time I'd gotten rid of the invaders I had something like two children left and gave up.

The fort had a number of other issues related to my incompetence.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 10:56:36 am »

My first fortress turned into the moon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 12:34:08 pm »

My first fortress that I remember losing was drowned when I tunneled upwards into the bottom of an aquifer when trying to dig a large enough stone stockpile.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 03:06:36 pm »

Hm....Which one was first?

I think the first fortress I lost - not merely ditched - was a test fortress - untamed flat volcano tropical freshwater swamp. Drained a murky pool into volcano for obsidian floor in magma workshops and farming area, some time later fire imps showed up, rustled with civilians and when I drafted few guys to kill them set everything on fire with fireballs. All burned, expect 1 dwarf who had fled into a tree.

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 03:13:39 pm »

My first lost fortress I accidentally collapsed a whole mountain. That day I learned the wonders of "remove designation".

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 09:32:52 pm »

I think I lost my first one when a werecreature showed up and I couldn't figure out how to make the military work.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 09:37:49 am »

I lost my first real, semi-successful fortress to a small goblin siege. I was just starting with militia, so I decided it would be wiser to let the gobbos run around while my dwarves were safely living underground. There was plenty of food and booze, and if that's not enough there was a freshly created well filled using unnecessarily elaborate network of tunnels with maintenance shafts and everything.
There was that one particular place where a maintenance shaft was separated from the hospital by a single wooden door. When I realized the goblins weren't on the surface anymore, a troll was already smashing the door, letting his friends slaughter everyone.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 11:15:28 am »

I lost my first real, semi-successful fortress to a small goblin siege. I was just starting with militia, so I decided it would be wiser to let the gobbos run around while my dwarves were safely living underground. There was plenty of food and booze, and if that's not enough there was a freshly created well filled using unnecessarily elaborate network of tunnels with maintenance shafts and everything.
There was that one particular place where a maintenance shaft was separated from the hospital by a single wooden door. When I realized the goblins weren't on the surface anymore, a troll was already smashing the door, letting his friends slaughter everyone.

Mine was pretty similar. I didn't realize drawbridges were a thing and relied on two pairs of iron doors to keep nasties out. It stopped wildlife, but the goblins who ambushed a woodcutter were able to just waltz right in behind him because I didn't know you could lock a door either. My tiny militia were the only casualties, but the tantrum spiral afterward was the end of Torchdagger.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.