Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me come up with ideas for items/artifacts for this RPG!  (Read 796 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Help me come up with ideas for items/artifacts for this RPG!
« on: September 08, 2016, 01:00:44 pm »

I'm editing a map called Destiny Battle, a once-popular RPG mod/game for Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Players pick one Hero (character) and cooperate with other players to defend the city of Vern from the armies of the evil wizard Adomach.

I came into editing this at a point where it was still woefully unfinished, however, so there aren't nearly as many Level 2 Artifact-class items, or even Level 2 Epic items as there should be. The Level 1 items list is all done already. What I need are cool ideas for artifacts or other powerful items to flesh things out, and perhaps get a head start on Level 3 items while I'm at it (which was never done to begin with).

Examples of some existing items here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can provide more examples as needed, or answer any questions you may have.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me come up with ideas for items/artifacts for this RPG!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 03:17:36 pm »

Destiny Battle was one of my favorites, but I think I only managed to get to the end once.

Ideas:
Summon a phoenix-blessed warrior. Single use. Low damage, high HP, has reincarnate on a delay of 1-2 minutes, but with no cooldown. It has a 'suicide' flame burst which deals damage based on its current HP.

A time-travel mind-control device. Single use. the player permanently gains a small squad of monsters from the next wave, at his current position. (Duplicate them, not remove them. Removal without gaining XP is no fun :p)

A powerful magic mirror that briefly clones the hero. Costs half the hero's current mana, which is given to the duplicate. The duplicate loses 5-10 mana per second and poofs when dry. Cool-down such that it can be used once per wave (I like the idea that it can either be used when a wave starts, for a longer effect, or as more of an emergency measure, presumably when the hero is already low on mana.)

A temporal manipulator. Single use. Freezes and renders invulnerable half the enemy waves for 30 seconds.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: Help me come up with ideas for items/artifacts for this RPG!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 03:42:20 pm »

... I honestly did not expect to find another person on here who knows Destiny Battle. Wow. Maybe I'll see you on Battle.net sometime and we can play, Nirur Torir? I'm Setokaiva on there.

Ah, yeah, I forgot to point out that this game is wave-based. Enemies come in groups down 4 'lanes', and all of them must be defeated to progress to the next level and set of enemies. Bosses come every 5-6 rounds or so. A couple Hero abilities are specific to waves, most notably Inversion, which returns all enemies back to their starting positions at the end of the map.

Phoenix warrior... mmm, I like it. That time-traveling mind-control idea is also really impressive, thanks! Also the mirror, I'm definitely gonna remember that. I already have the Chronoegg for "temporal manipulator", though, even if it doesn't actually render them invulnerable.