Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [video] Dwarf Fortress - newbie first impressions  (Read 855 times)

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[video] Dwarf Fortress - newbie first impressions
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:47:25 pm »

Hi ho! %)

I've started DF for the first time without any ideas how this game looks like and how to play it %)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sco2ZUeyUQ

I'm not fun of strategies (more roguelike and RPG guy, I like to control 1 character), but next time when I would want to play strategy genre (got such mood sometimes), I would certanly go Dwarf Fortress! %)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Re: [video] Dwarf Fortress - newbie first impressions
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 08:17:07 pm »

I've started DF for the first time without any ideas how this game looks like and how to play it %)

Haha, this was exactly my approach 6 years ago. I thought it would be interesting to try to figure out this game purely by trial end error using the resources given in the game. Impossible*. Fortunately I soon realized that there is even more fun in this game when you make these forums and the DF wiki your friend. There is so much to discover and learn in this game, you can as well learn from the Masters who posted their inventions and strategies here, best of which are written up in the wiki.

___
* Footnote: Not entirely impossible, but mostly waste of time. You learn to play this game 10x faster is you just start using the wiki. You don't need to read the carefully marked spoilers in there, but the earlier you learn to use it, the better. The wiki will remain you number one tool for all of your DF session.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:22:05 pm by Nagidal »
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)