Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Game Design General - Share your games, mods, WIPs, and etc!  (Read 29579 times)

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
Re: Game Design General - Share your games, mods, WIPs, and etc!
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2017, 08:20:23 am »

I'm considering choosing an engine for my project (which runs now under Darkplaces engine). I'm a big sucker for id Tech engines, but they are not really flexible and pretty much outdated by now, that's why I'm thinking about changing the engine. I'm a little bit biased between Source (I don't have too much experience with it, but having good familiarity with GoldSource might help with that), UE4 (the big hitter right now, with which I have no experience at all) and CryEngine (like UE4). Another possibility is going for Half-Life mod (since I'm good at working with GoldSource), and then go standalone with Xash (not likely), or one of engine projects that's developed right now.

My goal is passable/decent graphics with great gameplay, keeping up good and efficient development and speed and cross-compatibility. Which of the mentioned engines would be best fit for it?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:39:18 am by Dark One »

AltairSonOfDarkness

• Bay Watcher
  • Fertilizer.
    • View Profile
    • My Devblog and other stuff
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2017, 10:02:08 am »

I'm considering choosing an engine for my project (which runs now under Darkplaces engine). I'm a big sucker for id Tech engines, but they are not really flexible and pretty much outdated by now, that's why I'm thinking about changing the engine. I'm a little bit biased between Source (I don't have too much experience with it, but having good familiarity with GoldSource might help with that), UE4 (the big hitter right now, with which I have no experience at all) and CryEngine (like UE4). Another possibility is going for Half-Life mod (since I'm good at working with GoldSource), and then go standalone with Xash (not likely), or one of engine projects that's developed right now.

My goal is passable/decent graphics with great gameplay, keeping up good and efficient development and speed and cross-compatibility. Which of the mentioned engines would be best fit for it?

I think, UE4 is your boy!
A game of despair, violence and gore.
That's what you seek? Say no more...

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2017, 12:41:06 pm »

The problem is that Epic's launcher crashes when you have slower connection. I remember that this prevented me from getting the engine a few months ago.

AltairSonOfDarkness

• Bay Watcher
  • Fertilizer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2017, 02:44:45 pm »

I use my mobile's connection which sucks enormous gorillas private part, and still, everything is fine. It may have improved by now.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2017, 05:56:41 pm »

So I'm coding an RTS in Unity with some buddies. Right now we're just doing the basics and figuring out terrain and movement and stuff.

Using a navmesh and colliders, we got the player (the cube) to move to the mouse coordinates. But for some reason the cube is doing what we called "ghosting".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It moves slowly but it leaves behind these permanent afterimages. What's this called and why might it be happening?

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2017, 07:21:47 pm »

Maybe you're not clearing the screen, check your camera's Clear Flags ?

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2017, 05:01:31 am »

I use my mobile's connection which sucks enormous gorillas private part, and still, everything is fine. It may have improved by now.

It seems that they resolved the issue. I've got only 5GB of mobile connection's transfer, and I'm still waiting for it to get renewed. Connecting to their servers just to start downloading engine takes really long on my slow connection...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2017, 05:21:03 am »

It's a huge download and takes forever. And then a patch came out immediately after I first installed it.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2017, 05:44:02 am »

I managed to get 20GB in three/four days through torrent on my weak ass connection. 6 or 7 GB shouldn't be that hard to get. It only initialised really long, and now started downloading at low 7kB speed, where I can get 45 to 60 on normal download through my browser...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2017, 12:25:18 pm »

Maybe you're not clearing the screen, check your camera's Clear Flags ?
Nice, that worked! Thank you!

AltairSonOfDarkness

• Bay Watcher
  • Fertilizer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2017, 12:35:34 pm »

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.DyingSilence.Dubmaku

Here's a little time waster i've made.
You may test it out if you want, i'd appreciate some feedback.
The main issue i have to fix is that there's too little attack patterns in the game and it becomes boring too soon.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2017, 11:51:08 am »

ptw  :P

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2017, 11:55:31 am »

Just started out with UE4, following documentation and getting started section. It is indeed a really sweet and neat toolset and I'm really eager to try more of it's functions and move my project onto this engine (yeah, I haven't done too much back when working with Darkplaces, so it won't be too hard and longwhile - that was mostly due to being out of mood + taking some lazy time between irl stuff...)

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2017, 09:13:35 pm »

Hello!

I'm creating a World War 2 themed, mostly realistic, variant of D&D. There will be no magic or the like, just plain ol' Blood and Bullets! Which is, coincidentally, what I have decided to name the project. If anyone with some experience with tabletop mechanics would like to stop by my feedback thread (Here!) and give me some feedback, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2017, 02:08:11 am »

Greetings, Bay12ers. (This is an XPost seeking feedback/criticism/playtesters)

I've created a d100 Dieselpunk tabletop roleplaying game called Akroydiesel Age RPG.  The latest version of it will always be available on this discord server but I can also upload a snapshot on request, posting the link here or elsewhere.  I'd rather not having a permanent public-facing link of a wide variety of reasons but also occassionally make threads for it on 4chan's /tg/ board.

Anyone interested in playtesting, taking a look, or letting me know I'm an idiot feel free to PM me here/contact me in the discord.  This is a crosspost so I cannot promise I'll see every reply in-thread, though I'll make an effort to.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13