Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Game Design General - Share your games, mods, WIPs, and etc!  (Read 28253 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Game Design General - Share your games, mods, WIPs, and etc!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 02:36:24 pm »

Cool stuff there! I am absolute horseshit at it, but it's looking very nice and plays nicely too. My only complaint is that you can't hold down the firing button, which is something that every shooter game should have in order to prevent early arthritis among gamers. :v

@Solifuge: I tried giving it a go, but alas, my laptop ran it with approximately 3 seconds of input lag. That's probably just it being silly though, so i'll give it another go later.

Also, i sadly do not have much to show for my game design study yet, though that's mostly because we're still in the intro phase. I'm doing the same assignments as everyone else, but given that i have about a 6 year head start when it comes to GameMaker (... being more experienced than the teacher is a very odd feeling indeed), well... :v

Best i can show is this thing that i also posted in the random things thread. We only really needed to make our guy able to move sideways and shoot at one type of enemy that also moved sideways and could shoot back (collisions included for both parties), and which would give points on death. I went a bit further than that. :v

Spoiler: screenshotslol (click to show/hide)

I kind of want to call it Cloudy with a Chance of Anger, but there's not quite enough clouds for that. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 07:56:20 pm »

PTW, and eventually add my own stuff here :D

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 05:51:04 pm »

Bit Bot Bash is finished, although very little is different from the preview if anybody played that.

Honest question, is having a Patreon link on the main menu tacky?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 05:26:03 pm »

Bit Bot Bash is finished, although very little is different from the preview if anybody played that.

Honest question, is having a Patreon link on the main menu tacky?

Probably less tacky than adverts in my opinion.  Its a free game, so I'd go for it.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 11:29:41 pm »

Yeah, its free. Nothing wrong with asking for a donation.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 12:09:55 am »

Been learning a ton doing my map gen program.

Did a major overhaul of the guts to make it better for an actual game to use, although this has made the actual map generation way slower than it was. I think can refactor it to be a good bit faster, which I'll do if I move on to an actual game with this, but for now the slow speed isn't a big deal.

I've got wind direction, terrain based on elevation and rainfall, and rain shadows from mountains all working. Still need to do water erosion, drainage, and streams/rivers. But it's coming along pretty nicely.

For my tests, rainfall amount and wind direction are randomized at the start of the map gen. These both happen to be from the north, though.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 01:05:25 am »

Here's a preview build of Bit Bot Bash. Some music and sound effects are missing and I know there's some misplaced items around, but the game is technically playable and beatable!

If anybody beats it, could you please refresh the page and let me know if the high score feature works?
I tested in the almost latest Chrome on Win 8.1.

- High score works!
- Thank you for enabling CTRL button! I use CTRL for shooting in every game I possibly can.
- Bug: if you press CTRL+S (or something like that), your guy will shoot indefinitely and infinitely. I don't need to press the shoot button anymore.
- Bug: I have been able to shoot through walls sometimes (http://imgur.com/a/YLAYT). Push against the wall, pressing S and A, and shoot at the same time.
- Double-bug?: in the beginning of the 3rd floor, it's possible to shoot an enemy behind a corner without them noticing (http://imgur.com/a/XAksw). However they will not die even though I'm constantly shooting them. They die the instant they notice me.
- It's not evident that you can kill missile turrets (maybe make them flash on hit?)
- I like the spiders' and missile turrets' gfx, my eyes dislike the background though.
- What does the "open box of tools" pickup do?
- The boss took two tries to beat; I liked the gfx and animations.

The game is indeed playable and beatable. I like the aesthetic of the game.
It feels like it's pretty much complete, even though it's very simple in concept.
It's publish-worthy IMO.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 01:08:36 am by dorf »

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 03:25:41 am »

PTW.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2016, 12:32:03 pm »

Here's a preview build of Bit Bot Bash. Some music and sound effects are missing and I know there's some misplaced items around, but the game is technically playable and beatable!

If anybody beats it, could you please refresh the page and let me know if the high score feature works?

- What does the "open box of tools" pickup do?

It's supposed to be a holographic treasure chest that gives you some points. :P
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2016, 01:28:45 pm »

Okay so I got a highscore of 1200 something, after killing the boss.

The score doesn't reset on a new game.
The score doesn't reset/fall back to zero on death.

I didn't log in to my Newgrounds account, were you going to list highscores somewhere?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2016, 01:31:27 pm »

Okay so I got a highscore of 1200 something, after killing the boss.

The score doesn't reset on a new game.
The score doesn't reset/fall back to zero on death.

I didn't log in to my Newgrounds account, were you going to list highscores somewhere?

No, there wasn't a Newgrounds API for non-Flash games until shortly after I published it. The high score is local to whichever machine you play it on.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 07:59:05 pm »

Ohh the highscore is saved on refresh!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2016, 03:53:37 pm »

Wow, so apparently you can code in Unity if you know Javascript (or C#). Well fuck, why didn't I look into this earlier? I already do web shit in JS. I was too intimidated to try Unity because I thought I didn't know enough to easily get into it. I'm going to watch a bunch of tutorials and try to make something.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2016, 05:28:28 pm »

Wow, so apparently you can code in Unity if you know Javascript (or C#). Well fuck, why didn't I look into this earlier? I already do web shit in JS. I was too intimidated to try Unity because I thought I didn't know enough to easily get into it. I'm going to watch a bunch of tutorials and try to make something.
It's technically UnityScript and has some differences from JS, I don't know how similar it is but you should be good.

Started using GameMaker, it is really quite nice.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 02:49:54 pm »

I've started learning about graphics shaders recently, and found this pretty neat site: https://www.shadertoy.com/ .

You can basically write shaders on the fly, and feed them pictures, videos, and apparently even audio as inputs, and it shows the result at the side.  Its been giving me a few ideas, but I figured I'd post two of them I found that were pretty cool:

Seascape:  Renders water graphics with under 200 lines of code. 

Notebook drawings:  Gives video a cool sketch-book visual style.

So far all I've done is turn an image to greyscale, but its kind of interesting.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13