Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Game Design General - Share your games, mods, WIPs, and etc!  (Read 29989 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Game Design General - Share your games, mods, WIPs, and etc!
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2017, 12:40:27 am »

Thanks a lot Reelya, itisnotlogical, for the comments! Really useful information.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2017, 06:09:28 am »

So I'm having this weird bug with my pet project in Unity right now and I'm wondering if it's okay to ask any of you who are more savy with code for some help?

I won't post anything until I get confirmation that this is okay as this is more of a design help thread and not a code help thread.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2017, 07:06:45 am »

Sure go ahead, you could also do so in the programming thread if it's code-related.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2017, 08:06:47 am »

Well after further investigation, I've narrowed it down to "definitely a code problem" so I'll try my luck in the programming thread.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2017, 06:46:15 pm »

I'm making an internet-themed tower defense game. It's a lot easier to come up with enemies than the psychological horror idea I had originally.

This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2017, 10:06:14 pm »

I'm making an internet-themed tower defense game. It's a lot easier to come up with enemies than the psychological horror idea I had originally.

That's actually a really clever idea, surprised no one else has thought of this kind of idea. Good on ya :D

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2017, 05:54:50 pm »

Hey, I was thinking of upping my thread moderator game (P.S. thanks for the push Reelya), and maintaining some links to dedicated game project threads. The idea is to help folks keep track of the various projects folks are working on. Would anyone like to add their Game Projects to the pile?

If so, please share a link to the thread, and a little description of the project (try to keep it in the range of a sentence or two), if you would. Also, if you do want something on the list, please keep this thread updated if a project goes on hiatus, etc! I'll try to keep project status up-to-date on at least a monthly basis. Also, if you follow any existing game project threads, and would like to prod the developers via post or PM to share a link here, please do! I'd like it to be as comprehensive as possible.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2017, 09:45:56 am »

Nice.  Spam could be the tiny attackers in large groups, and trolls could be...trolls.  Thick skinned and and hard to kill, really annoying to deal with.  And literal flame wars.

Hey, what about procedurally generated spam comments?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2017, 10:22:39 am »

For that you'd want to use madlib style templates, and have the blanks filled in with nouns etc based on associative keywords. e.g. a pattern could be like:

$A in $B <created/discovered> $C which $D. E's hate him.

and then you have a range of keywords and a bunch of nouns/verbs that are associated with the keyword, so that it's not completely random, but thematic.

e.g. a keyword could be "cute" and is associated with typical internet cute things and cute ideas.

"A panda in Texas has discovered candyfloss that makes you laugh. Cats hate him"

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2017, 11:41:39 am »

I was thinking more along the lines of the "clever aggravator" in the picture above.  You could probably simulate that with a much simpler code.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2017, 02:42:20 am »

I've been tossing around a comeback mechanic for combat-based games that I thought it would be interesting to see other thoughts on. The way it would be balanced would have to depend significantly on the nature of the rest of the game, so if you do have thoughts please mention the context you imagine them in!

I've dubbed the mechanic battle rage, and at its core it's pretty simple: you chose to begin expending your maximum hitpoints in exchange for a combat advantage. This means that the loser is encouraged to use rage, as they're not losing anything by it, but the winner is discouraged. This is why it's important to balance it contextually - if it were in, say, a 5v5 MOBA situation, using rage would affect your ability to win future fights. If it's in a 1v1 single-round scenario like a classic fighting game, it would have to be managed pretty carefully so as not to make it overbearing.

My first thought was to draw inspiration from various time-manipulation/action games and have rage slow down everything except you. This'd be fine in a purely PvE setting, but in a PvP scenario it would lead to the only response to rage being to counter-rage (a la atium in the Mistborn series, or your choice of other time dilation effect). I feel that that excessively favours the person on the lower health total, as unless the speed advantage is small, it essentially provides them with a way of reducing their opponent's health to their own over the span of a few seconds.

The other option in my mind that seems reasonably original (or at least not super heavily used) would be depleting your maximum health in order to replenish your current health, in the manner of an adrenaline-fuelled pain tolerance. This option is particularly interesting if there are other ways of healing available (probably out of combat), since then there are stakes to winning without raging - rage's advantage can be reproduced without the side-effects, as long as you can get out of combat (hopefully by winning - I don't know that I like running being encouraged). At the same time, it's possible to tap rage briefly in order to gain a small advantage at lower cost.

The last option is to have rage simply buff offensive and/or defensive abilities. I don't like it, since it feels completely bland and uninspired, but it is fairly easy to tweak the balance on.

All of these I have in mind as being a constant buff while you drain your maximum hitpoints (except, in a sense, the heal - the gained hitpoints are persistent). That way, you get one shot at making it back into the game, and when your hitpoint deficit runs out you have to burn real health to keep your advantage.

This has a slightly awkward consequence that both sides have access to the comeback mechanic, so if you drop to 25% health while your opponent is unharmed and then use rage to level the playing field, you're left at 25%/25% health while your opponent is at 25%/100% with the option of burning rage to close it out.

I'm not sure if I'm sold, but one possible option is to have rage only useable when you're at a health deficit. That way, there's no way for the winner to abuse rage to cement a lead. The other way to prevent the problem seems far kludgier, and would just be to have attacks made while raging damage hitpoints and maximum hitpoints in equal measure.

Thoughts? I find it an interesting problem, but it has so many contextual constraints...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2017, 03:05:28 pm »

Like you say, it's a pretty risky enterprise, building a detailed game system or mechanic in a vacuum. Kinda need to think of it within a greater context to weigh the effect it will have.

In the abstract, though, I really like the strategic trade-off this presents; burning your maximum capacity for a game-resource, in order to recover some of that resource itself. It works as a temporary boost that could save you in a pinch, at the cost of your long-term capabilities. It certainly works as a sort of Second Wind for a Health or Stamina Bar, but the concept works just well for any sort of Game Resource; a trade or financial game could see you liquidate your Net Worth via selling investments or assets to increase spending cash, or a Strategy Game could see you scrapping and selling Construction Material Storage Buildings to recover the raw construction materials.

Another example; I remember hearing about some stealth game, with movement-type skills and an energy bar that would replenish over time. This encouraged cautious planning for each obstacle or section. If something went wrong, and you ran out of energy to use the skills you needed to save yourself or escape, you could still use skills; spending more energy than you had would drain from your Maximum Energy instead. So it would reduce your capabilities, but could still save your arse.

It's a good concept, and definitely worth thinking about!

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2017, 03:22:48 pm »

That said, I can easily see it implemented in such a way in competitive games such that it would just drag games out. Reducing your later game potential to win a current fight would render your chances of success even lower in many cases, and if both players have access to such a thing it would likely cancel out and just add gametime.

Could be interesting to see 2 different comeback mechanics implemented of different sides of an asymmetric game though. Not really got any novel ideas there right now, but could have some potential there (as well as in single player ofc).
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2017, 10:09:15 pm »

Take a look at Arcomage. Originally found in might and magic, the game allows you to make sacrifices in several areas, to help win the game.
Considered great enough for people to boot up Might and Magic years later just to play the game.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13