Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Game Design General - Share your games, mods, WIPs, and etc!  (Read 30066 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game Design General - Share your games, mods, WIPs, and etc!
« on: September 14, 2016, 05:08:18 pm »

Seeing as how there's a lot of community members with Game-Related projects, let's set aside a thread to talk about 'em!

Whether you're programming something for fun, creating a mod for an existing game, building a new tabletop or forum game, or are just interested in Game Design in general, this is a dedicated place to chat and share your stuff! Feel free to ask questions, share screenshots of your works-in-progress, link playable demos or finished projects, ask questions, solicit feedback, or whatever else folks deem appropriate. If you have a dedicated thread for a long-term project, feel free to link it here as well.

Thread Guidelines:
  • Keep it Inclusive: Sharing things you make can be stressful. Make sure folks of any skill level are welcome to share projects, ask questions, and get helpful feedback.
  • Keep it Constructive: Giving ang getting helpful critique is a beautiful thing. When possible, try to suggest areas for improvement, or ways you might tackle a similar problem.
  • Keep it Respectful: It's a No-Brainer, but try to respect others and their creative or personal differences. Unless they're causing harm or breaking Da Rools, they're still valid.
Of course, standard Forum Rules and Guidelines apply here too. I'll update the OP if more guidelines become necessary. Let's work hard, play hard, learn from each other, and have a good time!

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
Re: Game Design General - Share your games, mods, WIPs, and etc!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 06:00:38 pm »

Oh, neato! I thought about making this a while back, but it's good to see someone else took up the reins.

I'm currently working on a project with some others, but I'm on mobile right now, so i can't give a detailed rundown. Also, spoilers :P
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 07:21:23 pm »

Okay, kicking it off with what's basically a double-post. I'm a rebel like that:

Ancient Akkadians:
Made in 72 hours, by Hitchhiker, Solifuge, and Naali
Based on the Theme: Ancient Technology

Play it here! http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=21983
Tools Used (Free): Unity, Sublime Text, Blender, Audacity
Source Files: GitHub
Build Timeline: via GitHub

Overview / Post-Mortem:

This is a short, finished game project I worked on for a 72-Hour Game Jam called Ludum Dare 36. The idea behind the Ludum Dare is to take a theme or idea, build a playable game based on it in less than 3 days, and then submit it to the public for feedback and critique. The theme was Ancient Technology. Our team went with a hybrid of sorts between Tower Defense and City Builder games. You gather basic resources, plant crops, and build production and defensive structures, all the while keeping your crops safe from deer, and your workers safe from wolves. It's definitely an idea I'd like to iterate on in the future!

The game is playable right on the Ludum Dare project page. You can opt to play the 72-hour Competition Version, but I'd suggest playing the improved downloadable version we just finished this afternoon, which includes descriptive tooltips, game balance fixes, music, and sound effects that were locally-sourced inside My and Naali's faces. :D

The project was developed in Unity, and coded in C# using Sublime Text, primarily by Hitchhiker with some help from me and Naali. The sprites were all modelled by me using Blender, and animated in code. Sound effects were created by Naali and I, using vocal / foley techniques and the doodads on my desk, and editied in Audacity. Music loops were written by me in FruityLoops. The Unity project, all the source files, and the messy and hastily written code are available to download and look at via Github.

Since the theme is announced at the start of the 72 hours, and since that falls really late in the team's time zone, we spent the first night brainstorming, developing ideas into a concept with a basic gameplay outline, discussing the pros and cons, and voting on our favorites and least favorites. (P.S. Even though the team vetoed it, I still really want to make that "VR Hunter-Gatherer Iron Chef" Game some day.)

Time constraints had me thinking of simple graphics styles I could pull off. Decided to go with something that looked like wooden boardgame pieces (I was thinking Carcassonne or Agricola). One neat trick I learned was how to use smooth and sharp edge-normals to make it look hand-carved, even though the pieces were untextured and low-poly. Trivia Time: The tree bark was modeled after the look of a carrot I'd recently peeled.

Sample Music Loops on Soundcloud
Pretty simple stuff, but I was having trouble finding inspiration and a group of instruments to use. I went with Vaguely Persian, which was my best guess at something that would feel Mesopotamian. The different loops play based on the current phase of the game; I was thinking of old Rareware games, and how the original Banjo-Kazooie played different versions of the same motiff as you wandered around to different parts of the level.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:30:25 pm by Solifuge »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 12:45:52 am »

PTW.

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 08:42:53 am »

Thingy I made a long time ago, ogre3d+recastnavigation+bullet+ some models from Evil Genius.

https://gfycat.com/GrayInnocentEmu

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 01:17:01 pm »

Since I picked up Game Maker Pro from Humble Bundle, I started playing around with it.

Right now I'm working on a basic top-down terrain generation program using perlin noise. Found a couple of useful tutorials on how to do that and some basic stuff in Game Maker.

Right now it doesn't do much beyond the tutorials other than a simple erosion to smooth things out.

I'm planning on expanding that a good bit.

First off I need to get more options and controls onto the screen so changing stuff isn't all hard-coded. Things like erosion amounts.

Next up is going to be a rainfall map, probably based on wind coming in from one of the 4 sides.

After that I can do Terrain types based on rainfall and elevation, rather than the simple elevation based coloration down now.

Once that is done, I'm thinking I'll work on some river generation and actual water placement instead of the simplistic elevation based water. Oceans/coastline should probably be a flood-fill from a map edge, while inland can be purely stream/river based.

Assuming I'm still having fun once all that is in I'll probably try to actually do something with that maps. :P
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 03:42:48 pm »

Here's Bit Bot Bash, a game for WebGL made in Unity. It's an isometric shooter sorta similar to Gauntlet, but stripped down even from that.

To be honest, I'm not excited with how it's turning out. The basic mechanics work and the planned levels are all in there to varying degrees, but it just doesn't seem very fun except for the final boss (still a heavy WIP).

I want to wrap it up in the next couple days, since I'm heartily sick of working on it and want to get back to something more interesting. The reason I decided to make such a simple game is so that there was no way I couldn't finish it, bar laziness.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 03:47:03 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 03:47:28 pm »

Since I picked up Game Maker Pro from Humble Bundle, I started playing around with it.

Right now I'm working on a basic top-down terrain generation program using perlin noise. Found a couple of useful tutorials on how to do that and some basic stuff in Game Maker.

-snip-

Aww nuts, I missed getting Game Maker in a bundle? :<

Even if it's a "Learn how to Game Maker" project, I like that map generator Meph! One thing I've been considering to add to a heightmap-based terrain generation system was to perform some fake Plate Techtonics on it; once you've got a heightmap, divide the pixels up into flood fill clusters that represent techtonic plates, and drift these clusters around at random. If the moving masses expose an empty area, reduce the elevation to build a Rift Valley, and wherever two masses overlapped calculate the mean of their heights, and add a random value from 0.5x to 1x the difference in their height to build up Mountain Ranges. Not sure how it'd work in practice, but it was a launching point for messing around with the idea.

Side question: How did you generate your Perlin Noise? I've been trying to make an n-dimensional Noise Generator which can pick from a few noise types, but finding and understanding good generation algorithms has been problematic.

Here's Bit Bot Bash, a game for WebGL made in Unity. It's an isometric shooter sorta similar to Gauntlet, but stripped down even from that.

-snip-

Gauntlet was an old favorite for me, and I like the abstract Tron / Frozen Synapse look, and the low-poly characters. Simple experiments like that are good to build up your creative endurance for longer projects too. Good luck finishing it up, and I hope to see it when you do!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 03:53:53 pm by Solifuge »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 04:08:09 pm »

Looks like it is still going for a few days!  https://www.humblebundle.com/gamemaker-bundle

For the Perlin I used this tutorial.

The code for it is specifically game maker, but he goes over the underlying math so you could manage it in any language, I imagine.

The plate tectonics things sounds interesting. I was chatting with a friend on that but hadn't decide to do anything with it yet. Might reconsider once the rest of the stuff is working.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 04:48:14 pm »

I'm currently working with some other people on a SS13 remake entitled "Lem". Sadly we don't have a lot to show right now, since we just switched to UE from Unity. But I'm rather excited about it.

It's probably a lot for me to do at once, since most of my gamedev experience is from designing, coding for and maintaining an SS13 fork in the first place, but I'm still pretty excited. And it's not like I'm currently overflowing with ideas and motivation >.>
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:50:01 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 06:40:08 pm »

Here's a preview build of Bit Bot Bash. Some music and sound effects are missing and I know there's some misplaced items around, but the game is technically playable and beatable!

If anybody beats it, could you please refresh the page and let me know if the high score feature works?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 07:26:06 pm »

I'm currently working with some other people on a SS13 remake entitled "Lem". Sadly we don't have a lot to show right now, since we just switched to UE from Unity. But I'm rather excited about it.

It's probably a lot for me to do at once, since most of my gamedev experience is from designing, coding for and maintaining an SS13 fork in the first place, but I'm still pretty excited. And it's not like I'm currently overflowing with ideas and motivation >.>

I do like the look of that one. I believe in you, Miauw. This is gonna be the One.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 10:50:28 pm »

PTW

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 11:44:21 pm »

Side shooter game I made to sharpen my Game Maker skills (I teach it to kids).

There are 1.5 levels, the first level is complete and has a boss at the end, along with powerups, but needs more variation. The second is only half complete and probably has too many new types of enemies (I should move some into level 1).

Spoiler: gameplay clip (click to show/hide)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 10:46:12 am »

That's pretty cool, alexandertnt!
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13