Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Beronam - An experimental Orichalcum succession game.  (Read 10071 times)

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
Beronam - An experimental Orichalcum succession game.
« on: September 16, 2016, 02:38:24 am »

Welcome to hell Beronam!

By "experimental" I mean an (currently new), untested, probably buggy, version of my Orichalcum mod. (link to present non-experimental version)  Beyond that, we are in an inhospitable, sinister environment, surrounded by multiple goblin cities and a nearby necromancer tower, with the world teeming with titans and megabeasts.  Trading will be possible thanks to the close-enough human civ, despite the dwarven civ being well.. dead. 

Oh, and it's also experimental in the sense that this is my first run at trying to do a succession fort.

I hope that we may be led to glory and greatness. 

Embark site:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rules:

Player / turn list Turn taken Currently playing <- Awaiting turn

For ASCII Purists:  Here is a set of ASCII compatible RAWs for this build of Orichalcum.  Please return the RAWs to the default (Phoebus-compatible) version when you upload your saves.   Thank you.

And now, for the story!

The year 500 had passed.  The world was ever as it had been for centuries, goblins and humans ruling much of the world, elves and kobolds hiding away in various reaches of the world, while two other races, once great, found themselves struck down by the forces the world had gathered against them.  By dragon, titan, and war, the Dwarves fell.  Those few who survived, enslaved to goblinkind.  Toiling away in vast pits, their numbers dwindled more and more - till one day, a dwarf by the name of Anilkatten heard a voice calling to her.  Gathering the support of a few others, the dwarves stole a wagon full of supplies, and hurried away in the night. 

Unfortunatly, they didn't get very far...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 08:36:28 pm by Evaris »
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
Re: Beronam - An experimental Orichalcum succession game.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 02:38:56 am »

Spring, the Year 500

I know it was crazy, listening to that voice, claiming to be someone called Fece Emofelidava or... something like that.  Something that sounded weird, at least.  Still.. she promised a future for me, and my people.  She said that we could create a new mountainhome, like in the legends.   That the dwarven people could stand again.  And talking to her made me feel such warmpth.  I fell in love with the idea of it, and everything about it, I had to make it happen.  I sought out a few others I knew I could trust, and with a bit of direction, we stole a wagon, and a pair of oxen, and proceeded to flee the pits.  Yet not even a day later, we find ourselves with a broken axle, in a forest that just feels... off.  To say nothing of the barren wastelands to the west, with strange tendrils reaching up out of the land.  I... feel lost.  Still, the voice beckons me to lead us, to make shelter and a home here.  It's not like we have a better option - whatever monsters lay out here - can't be worse than returning to the pits, where surely we would be tortured for quite some time before our inevitable execution. 

19th Granite

This... slime, or sludge, or muck... whatever this.. rain?.. is.. I.. this seems unnatural.  I'm shaken to the core by this - I don't know if we can survive in a place that rains such, even if the forest seems mostly peaceful beyond such.  We have hurridly made a shelter on the surface around the wagon, and now we are mining downward, to make the place which will be our new home - which, hopefully will ultimately be safe.  Yesterday though, Kib Eturamal became enranged at the weather, threw up several times, then calmed down and came back inside, as we were finally sealing off the entrance.  We really need to get a bath. We have taken upon ourselves to name both our rag-tag group of misfits, and what appears to be our new home.  Thus we have donned the name The Lantern of Swords, and our new home Earthshimmered. 

1st Slate

As we have begun to mine downward into the hillside, we have found an abundance of various ores which will come into use, praise be.  Cobalt, iron, tin, copper, silver, lead - in moderate abundance.  Truly this is a blessing from the gods - maybe that voice wasn't a hallucination after all.  The surface may be inhospitable with that unspeakable sludge raining everywhere, but perhaps we will have a true future here.  However, Kib has been going in and out of fits of rage nearly constantly, which worries me greatly.

4th SLate

In experimental holes, we managed to dig into the aquifer here, and are now readily cleaning ourselves off from this horrid muck.  Thank the gods.  In other news, Kib seems to have calmed down.

7th slate

After finishing work on an area to practice my carpentry, I have begun making sets of wooden armor for us.  Several of the others have grumbled of how undwarvenly it is, however, with so few of us left, I don't think any of us have a right to complain about wearing a bit extra protection - hopefully we will have better protection at some point in time, but for now, this will help, I hope.

16th slate

We managed to set up an area for farming, and cleared out a space for some bedrooms.  In the process, we also found a vein of realgar.  I suppose arsenic may be useful, perhaps.  But more importantly, I crafted my first masterwork, my life's dream!  This wonderful kite shield of mine... it's wonderful.  Just wonderful!

18th felsite - More rooms have been completed, more masterworks made, the farms are in use, and a small temple is being made.  We have also designated an area to place our food supplies, and are beginning to haul them down.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:40:53 pm by Evaris »
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 12:49:54 pm »

Summer, the Year 500

5th Malachite
We have begun the summer by spending a full month hauling food items, drinks, and goblets, down to the dining room for use.  It probably would have been faster, had Eral not spent so much time moving goblets and plants back up to the wagon after they had been placed in the stockpiles to begin with.  Still, now that that's done, and our bedrooms have been furnished, I suppose things can move to forward thought, with our basic needs taken care of, and comfort having been attained.  There is still plenty of work to do, but everyone's moods seem to be improving.  This hole in the ground is starting to truly feel like home. 

6th Malachite
 We heard knocking outside.  They said they'd come to join us.  We said nothing, pretending not to be here.  Have the goblins come?  Or have others truly followed in our example, escaping the pits?  I do not know, but we are in no position to take that risk right now. 

15th Galena
We've heard digging for a while now, are the goblins coming for us, or perhaps more refugees such as ourselves have come?  That said... I've had bad dreams lately, and we heard a sharp roar not too long ago.

(It's dust is freezing everything, by the way.  )

(end of summer -> One migrant, one animal dead by titan, who has been occupied with an echidna for the last couple of weeks.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  The dead don't seem to be rising in the forested eastern part of the map, somewhat surprisingly.  Not soo evil of an evil biome, it seems.  That said, still no clue about the western side of the map with those weird tendril things, but as I've yet to see any undead... anything, I'm not counting on us seeing any such things.  The whole map is covered in sludge, though.)
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:54:01 pm by Evaris »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 01:30:24 pm »

Sign me up for turn two! I have no idea what your mod adds to the game but I'm totally prepared to find out.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 11:42:44 pm »

Sign me up for turn two! I have no idea what your mod adds to the game but I'm totally prepared to find out.

Sure thing! 

Also, spoiler, there are a lot of changes to metals as a first point to take into consideration. 

Is there anything particular you want in your dwarf, or would you prefer to dorf yourself?

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 11:18:48 am »

Fall, the Year 500

(So update from before regarding the migrants -Sigun Ezumistbar's wife, shem bakustdoren, is the one killed by the forgotten beast.  She is also survived by her two daughters.  I feel bad for this family.  My dwarf, lacking the capacity for Empathy, doesn't care.  Oh, and that mountain titan fighting that echidna?  It's using a pair of trousers as a weapon.  Still.  Did I mention my dwarf was a sociopath?  Because she is a sociopath.)

13th Limestone
The others started a project to investigate the sound of mining the other day - and upon the converging of the tunnels, we found three other dwarves, who had fled as well - a Sigun Ezumistbar and his daughters.  He talked about how his wife had been killed by some sort of iron giant, spewing frost everywhere it went, and who had apparently then for some reason taken an interest in beating small creatures with a pair of trousers taken off his wife's corpse.  He has requested a memorial be made for his wife, and I have instructed that it be placed in his new bedroom, whenever it is finished.  At least there it won't clutter up the little space we have for now, and I'm sure it will be a more convenient location for him anyhow.

14th Limestone
We have heard the sound of wagons moving overhead.  I'm not entirely certain as to the source, so for now, we will keep our heads down.

28th Limestone
We have finished the dining room.  Everyone should hopefully be a bit more productive around here, and less prone to complaints.  We have taken to furnishing the path mined to meet up with Sigun into a permanent entryway, though we will need to set up more traps for it to truly be effective.  Also, I would very much like to set up a shower system of some sort along that path, at some point in time, as doing so would make it far easier to deal with the slime, sludge, and muck that rains and coats everything on the surface. 

7th Sandstone
We finished the bedrooms for our new members, and have made a few more empty rooms for any future refugees that manage to show up. 

9th Sandstone
As if by magic, as we had room for more persons, still more refugees arrive.  Is this the voice's doing? 

2nd Timber
Honestly, things are going well as a whole, I think.  The iron giant is still slapping small creatures with that pair of trousers.  The new migrants successfully set up a drawbridge - the lever might not be in an ideal location for now, but hey, at least we can let in and out people as needed now, without posing excessive danger.

14th Timber
We have set up an area for the butchery of animals, and the cleaning of fish, with a room set off to the side for the sake of placing any waste we produce.  I am considering ordering the butchering the oxen - though I believe it would be best to hold out until next year to do, in hope that perhaps they may breed still.

23rd Timber
We have set up a forge area, and everyone is hauling things to help prepare for the processing of metal and gems.  Though I am not sure yet as to how much good it might do against that monstrosity, which while thankfully is quite happily occupied for now, I greatly doubt our ability to fend off should it turn it's attentions to us. 

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 03:26:09 pm »

- I've had herbalist be saved from being killed by werebeasts by them picking up a leaf from the herbalist and using that to assault them until they turned back.

- Since your mod thread mentions glazing, does the site have any clay or kaolinite/microcline/orthoclase?

- Roomy. How large's the site, anyway?x,y,z?

- A pig iron titan with deadly dust? I recall pig iron is much worse than iron, but that sounds nonetheless weaponizable, should you be able to capture it. Though the echidna suggests the deadly dust isn't exactly deadly.

- Airlock so migrants can still enter the fort, while ignoring titan? Ehe.

- Trees look weird in that tileset.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 03:38:38 pm »

- I've had herbalist be saved from being killed by werebeasts by them picking up a leaf from the herbalist and using that to assault them until they turned back.

- Since your mod thread mentions glazing, does the site have any clay or kaolinite/microcline/orthoclase?

- Roomy. How large's the site, anyway?x,y,z?

- A pig iron titan with deadly dust? I recall pig iron is much worse than iron, but that sounds nonetheless weaponizable, should you be able to capture it. Though the echidna suggests the deadly dust isn't exactly deadly.

- Airlock so migrants can still enter the fort, while ignoring titan? Ehe.

- Trees look weird in that tileset.

We have Sandy clay, haven't dug through enough layers to say whether we have porcelain yet or not.

Embark size is 3X3, not sure about z axis.  (Not at home, at the moment)

The Titan has not spewed any deadly dust at the region's, but given it's frozen, I'm guessing it's a set temp deadly dust type.  As for pig iron Vs iron, it's slightly weaker, sure, but it's still nearly as good, easily in the same class of materials as iron and bronze.  And I'm fairly sure it's bigger than a colossus.  So... yeah.

Further updates when I get home, finish the last month of winter, and write up something more in character than my notes.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 04:13:37 pm »

Nice updates! I think I'll just dwarf myself when I start.

I'm excited for some new metals!

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 07:06:30 pm »

(So, we have a new guest)

1st Opal:
We have been hearing various roars over the past month - earthquake like stomping continuing.  However, the hospital is well under construction. 

15th Obsidian
Things are settling down into a general habit of making various needed goods, hauling things here and there.  The days are melding into each other, and I'm finding myself spending more time updating stockpile records - and have had less and less time to oversee what needs to be done.  I've spoken to the others of this, and they said they'd talk among themselves to decide who should lead us from here.  For now, I'll focus on my bookkeeper and management duties, and leave this journal for whomever takes over the responsibility of leadership.   

Save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12450
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 07:08:40 pm by Evaris »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 10:32:11 pm »

Wait, is there any way to run in ASCII or am I limited to Pheobus? I absolutely detest graphicspacks and it looks like the raws are incompatible with anything else. I might be missing something, though.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 11:00:50 pm »

Wait, is there any way to run in ASCII or am I limited to Pheobus? I absolutely detest graphicspacks and it looks like the raws are incompatible with anything else. I might be missing something, though.

I'm honestly not sure how I would convert ASCII from Phoebus, save spending a good while in winmerge - and even then there would be things I'd have to figure out a symbol for. 

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 06:28:29 am »

In that case I'm afraid I will have to pass my turn. . .

Though I encourage you to wait around for another player and/or keep playing yourself. I like where these titan battles are going.

Also you should dwarf me if you end up playing year two.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 10:33:59 am »

Converting Phoebus to ASCII would be reasonably easy if orichalum raws are kept in separate folders from vanilla folders. Delete save's raws, paste vanilla raws in, then paste orichalum raws in.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 12:03:39 pm »

Converting Phoebus to ASCII would be reasonably easy if orichalum raws are kept in separate folders from vanilla folders. Delete save's raws, paste vanilla raws in, then paste orichalum raws in.

They're not, I've not figured out how to get them to work unless I have the RAWs in the same folders and .txt's. 

I do have alternate folders with ASCII though, so I can work on coming up with an ASCII version, I guess.  To the winmerge!  (some things may be wonky, forwarning.) 

Oh, and Fleeting, any chance you'd be interested in a turn? 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:50:29 pm by Evaris »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4