Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Beronam - An experimental Orichalcum succession game.  (Read 10070 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Beronam - An experimental Orichalcum succession game.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 02:34:34 pm »

They don't work when kept in separate files? I've almost never brothered to mod (just small newbie-friendly descriptions - btw, does your mod have descriptions for new reactions?), but I've gotten the impression that how many .txt files you have doesn't matter. Guess that was wrong, then :v

And no, not at the time. Haven't branched out of ASCII myself either (though Phoebus, Spacefox, Gemset(w 1x1 embark) and CLA are on my list of "things to try someday", albeit last time I looked at one I was thrown incredibly off), but even if the save would be in ASCII....

In succession forts I kinda want something to build upon, and there isn't currently anything noteworthy, either natural or artificial, beyond the mod itself.

Additionally, currently trying to knap down a 5-biome tavern embark, unsure if I'll end it on 43.03 (would helve branch crash eat my save?) or 42.06 - atm have 2x2 one, but it's 54z to caverns.

(Most lower elevation resulting in more aquifers, beyond the tedium of looking through two dozen gens to find another tiny embark. Thought aquifers were caused by drainage, but same seeds on same seaside map with min and max drainage or rainfall without changing the biomes kept aquifers the same. Kinda a puzzle. Haven't looked into hilly biomes yet, tho. )

Then there's the fact that 43.05 means bunch of things, like labour management, digging out veins, pasturing grazers, building stuff out of specific material, etc. are a pain. Even for story purposes, I find DT much better to get handle on personalities than vanilla screens, for instance.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 02:49:02 pm »

They don't work when kept in separate files? I've almost never brothered to mod (just small newbie-friendly descriptions - btw, does your mod have descriptions for new reactions?), but I've gotten the impression that how many .txt files you have doesn't matter. Guess that was wrong, then :v

And no, not at the time. Haven't branched out of ASCII myself either (though Phoebus, Spacefox, Gemset(w 1x1 embark) and CLA are on my list of "things to try someday", albeit last time I looked at one I was thrown incredibly off), but even if the save would be in ASCII....

In succession forts I kinda want something to build upon, and there isn't currently anything noteworthy, either natural or artificial, beyond the mod itself.

Additionally, currently trying to knap down a 5-biome tavern embark, unsure if I'll end it on 43.03 (would helve branch crash eat my save?) or 42.06 - atm have 2x2 one, but it's 54z to caverns.

(Most lower elevation resulting in more aquifers, beyond the tedium of looking through two dozen gens to find another tiny embark. Thought aquifers were caused by drainage, but same seeds on same seaside map with min and max drainage or rainfall without changing the biomes kept aquifers the same. Kinda a puzzle. Haven't looked into hilly biomes yet, tho. )

Then there's the fact that 43.05 means bunch of things, like labour management, digging out veins, pasturing grazers, building stuff out of specific material, etc. are a pain. Even for story purposes, I find DT much better to get handle on personalities than vanilla screens, for instance.

If I remember correctly they used to work with separate files, but with 42.xx and later I've found that it just doesn't recognize non-vanilla .txt files, it seems. 

As for descriptions, they do in the link in my sig, except for the brand-new-experimental stuff going on right now.  (beyond such, the in-game descriptions I think are good enough.) 

Fair enough on the building upon.  Just hoping to try to find - someone - to jump in and move this whole thing around.  I'll work on coming up with an ASCII version of the RAWs over the next week, though. 

On Aquifers, their presence is based both on the soil/rock types in the embark, lower drainage = higher chance of an aquifer being present and the depth of the aquifer, and also by geological area.  (aquifers are more present in river basins versus areas with a lake.  Less likely to find one in highly volcanic regions, etc.)   Being directly on a beach almost guarantees an aquifer, though.  There are a lot of variables for aquifer generation. 

As for Dwarf Therapist, my gods, I wish I had access to it, but it's part of the !FUN! with this stuff, IMO. 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 03:39:12 pm »

For descriptions, I mean in-game. Like this:

Nope on drainage, at least near beach - like I said, tested this. Also, I've found that maps with 100-103 elevation, while incapable of supporting rivers, will be chock-full of aquifer. Meanwhile, areas with 299 elevation rarely have one.

Though I suppose highly volcanic areas wouldn't have sedimentary layers where stone aquifers would be present in. Looking at the stone aquifer (nice to have partial that doesn't interfere with farming) I have on that 2x2, it has base 2 volcanism, while 51 volcanism results in sedimentary without it...Eh, insufficient data points to say anything definite.

The way I find aquifers only covering tiny part of a large single-biome, even not holding to 1 soil layer, is pretty weird.

...And, hm. I now realize I haven't tested messing with erosion cycle counts.

As for DT, eh. Vanilla does help focus on any single dwarf, but having to go through all the labour of each dwarf for each labour you're focusing on for each migration wave is just tedium, not fun, for me - + I find that the overall labour setup, even after spending hours on each migration wave, is still not as good.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 03:42:23 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 03:43:36 pm »

For descriptions, I mean in-game. Like this:

Ah, no, not that level of descriptions, no. 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 06:47:23 pm »

Btw, I guess this entire post is somewhat offtopic, but thanks again for suggesting volcanism (messing with erosion cycle count didn't change anything this time tho, despite having erased entire medium mountainous regions with it before).

What I obviously saw was it removing sedimentary layer stone aquifers when used as blunt force instrument.

What I found during testing:

A) minor changes, like 99 to 100 volcanism, result in different caverns and below stone geography without seeming to change anything else.

B) major changes, like 2 to 100 volcanism, additionally scrambles plants, murky pools, soils, minerals present, history. This need not be applied directly on top of embark location.

The bolded is what I've only found previously to be affected by things that scramble embark geography (thus losing the 5-biome spot) such as changing parameters enough that biomes change (with some coldness exceptions) or by changing elevation.

Since clay isn't aquifer-bearing and I want clay anyway, it gives a way to remove aquiferness from super-low elevation seaside embark by changing worldgen parameters.

(Yes, it'd admittedly be easier to use drain-aquifer with dfhack or changing raws :P)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:50:43 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 09:46:14 pm »

Orichalcum is what I used to start learning about reactions and other modding stuff :)  (So much pottery, lol).  I'll take the next turn.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 11:06:46 pm »

Orichalcum is what I used to start learning about reactions and other modding stuff :)  (So much pottery, lol).  I'll take the next turn.

That would be awesome!   I look forward to your posts. I'll update the OP when I get home.

Edit: and have you down for the present turn.  In the mean time, I'll keep working on an ASCII version of the RAWs for the purists. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:55:33 pm by Evaris »

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 12:19:17 pm »

And for the ASCII Purists, this should be fully ASCII compatible now; http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12453

When you upload a save, please return the RAWs to the tileset version for the sake of my sanity :p 

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 08:30:34 pm »

I'm still on this, just busy with the usual life stuff.  Also, DF isn't the kind of game I can just casually play for 90 minutes before bed.  I'll try to have this knocked out by Saturday afternoon.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 09:24:23 pm »

I'm still on this, just busy with the usual life stuff.  Also, DF isn't the kind of game I can just casually play for 90 minutes before bed.  I'll try to have this knocked out by Saturday afternoon.

Sounds fine, 'tis the reason for the week allotment, after all.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 07:10:50 pm »

I hate being that guy who doesn't do anything until the very end of 2 weeks :(  I ended up working most of Saturday, and was just wiped out.  I'll try to post a carrot-on-a-stick this week, but will likely be going to the end of my time allotment.  There are some interesting production options in the new Orichalcum though, so stay tuned.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 01:26:03 am »

I'll take the next turn :D

Thanks for the ASCII. You should copy that to your mod thread's OP!

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 10:11:01 am »

I'll take the next turn :D

Thanks for the ASCII. You should copy that to your mod thread's OP!

Well, this is still an experimental build, it will be an option once there's been more testing. 

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2016, 05:28:28 pm »

Alright, so this is kindof embarrassing.  I am just now sitting down (ridiculous work/life; 60 hours weeks, family surgery, just everything eating my time).  However, I don't see a save file posted here.  I'm assuming this is for 43.05, but verification would be nice. Nevermind, just drunk.  Downloading now.

Ok, so. Fortress is underway.  I installed a fresh copy of DF in a new folder and dropped the latest version of Orichalcum
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hum.  Was this supposed to be Phoebus?  Or Obsidian?  I am only mildly ashamed to admit that I never learned how to read the matrix.  So of course, challenge accepted.  Really the oddest thing you may notice from the above picture is that the game does not match my resolution, a chunk is just blacked out on the far right.  Alright, no problem.  Let's see what kind of a state Evaris left me in.
I'm fairly certain those are farms up at the top, we've got some workshops below that.  And down at the bottom... I'm gonna go with a complex calculus formula.

I don't recall him mentioning an aquifer in this embark :-\  At least the menu access is all the same.  We have 10 units of food and several hundred booze.  I'm glad Evaris has his priorities straight, but still.  I order all the rock nuts for cooking, and.... the 300 urists of Dwarven Wine (I'm so sorry).  A glance through our citizens shows the fortress has 13 members, including 2 children, and 6 Dwarves whose profession is mining.... and every single one of them is doing literally the opposite of mining (fishing, planting, drinking).
Well, I guess that last one is close to mining, anyways.

The only upside to this mess is that we have embarked on a rather steep mountain, so I should be able to cave-in through the aquifer with little difficulty.  There are literal pools of evil mucous all around the surface, so I'm gonna try and get food production under control, avoiding 'gather plants' for as long as possible.  On that note, I leave you with this heart-rending image;

See the 'Y' and 'r'?  That is a pair each of fully grown yaks & bunny rabbits, crammed in a 3x3 pasture, bricked in all sides, dangling from the edge of a cliff.  At least 2 of those tiles are sandy loam and/or evil mucous.  I'm just gonna butcher the lot of them.  We can always get more critters, and 3 meals a day of 'finely minced Dwarven Wine' will only go so far.

If anyone would like to help me get my crutches (graphics) working, that would be super.  If however, you enjoy seeing me fail my way through the matrix, that's fine too.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:05:45 pm by Immortal-D »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2016, 06:55:01 pm »

And for the ASCII Purists, this should be fully ASCII compatible now; http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12453

When you upload a save, please return the RAWs to the tileset version for the sake of my sanity :p 
ASCII file is here. You DLed the Phoebus one though.

The default of Orichalcum is Phoebus, but you need the graphics tileset and DF set to use it in init.txt, I believe. Or was that d_init.txt? Never messed much with tilesets.

If it doesn't explode, the simplest way to get your settings working might be (coming from someone who has been avoiding learning non-vanilla tilesets) to paste phoebus tileset, d_init.txt and init.txt from previous DF version. Toady warns not to but I don't recall if that changed between 43.03 and 43.05 (might have gotten one change with initial v.43 though with stone axes/helves) and what's the worst that can happen?

Beyond that, it looks like it is multi-biome embark; the other one might not have (as fat) aquifer. And wow, that's quite the food situation!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:56:57 pm by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4