Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Beronam - An experimental Orichalcum succession game.  (Read 10065 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Beronam - An experimental Orichalcum succession game.
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2016, 07:29:35 pm »

Oh, duh.  Been so long since I've played without LNP, I completely forgot that graphics normally have to be applied manually.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2016, 09:11:32 pm »

Oh, duh.  Been so long since I've played without LNP, I completely forgot that graphics normally have to be applied manually.

Also, the aquifer shouldn't be present in the south on that obsidian/diorite cliffface/hill.  (hence why there's a downward staircase there, and I had to make a short aqueduct to the aquifer for the personal wells in the bedrooms of the original 7.

... Could have sworn there was more food available as well, though that may have purely been in plump helmets.  there should be a ton of edible plants in that form, I thought. 

As for down below, I had made 3x3 bedrooms in the rock area on the same z level as the farms, so... yeah.

Edit:  Yeah, we have ~500 raw edible plants (when loading my uploaded save)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:24:08 pm by Evaris »
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2016, 07:11:45 pm »

Alright folks, not gonna hold this up any longer.  Wasn't a good time, but I wanted to put forth the effort.  Orichalcum got me started in modding, so I wanted to help out Evaris.  Then yesterday, I was able to check off an item from my to-do list (though not in the way I expected); I received a severance package, complete with forward pay and health insurance, lol.  They can't afford me anymore, but tried to be cool about it.  So yeah, not ideal, but could be worse.  DF requires some mental effort, and my heart's just not in it right now.  Also the whole scrambling to find a job thing :-\  I glanced through the raws, and there are a lot of interesting new options- hopefully the next player can show off a few.  Sorry folks, I-D is out.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2016, 07:58:47 pm »

Alright folks, not gonna hold this up any longer.  Wasn't a good time, but I wanted to put forth the effort.  Orichalcum got me started in modding, so I wanted to help out Evaris.  Then yesterday, I was able to check off an item from my to-do list (though not in the way I expected); I received a severance package, complete with forward pay and health insurance, lol.  They can't afford me anymore, but tried to be cool about it.  So yeah, not ideal, but could be worse.  DF requires some mental effort, and my heart's just not in it right now.  Also the whole scrambling to find a job thing :-\  I glanced through the raws, and there are a lot of interesting new options- hopefully the next player can show off a few.  Sorry folks, I-D is out.

Perhaps post the save? Otherwise I'll have to retcon your journal, which was fun to read despite being pretty short.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2016, 08:03:39 pm »

Honestly, best to take Evaris's save from the first year, I didn't even make it past Summer.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2016, 08:37:14 pm »

Thanks for the attempt I-D.   Best of wishes and hopes for you. 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2016, 03:34:05 pm »

Is this still happening?  I do enjoy reading the assorted stories and 'what's going on in your Fort' updates, even when I can't play (b/c needing a job :-[).

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2016, 03:56:24 pm »

Salmeuk said he was going forward with his turn so... i think so?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2016, 03:29:56 am »

Well, they've certainly gone over a week outlined in OP. Sent them a PM.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2016, 04:34:10 am »

I truthfully haven't played more than a month, since I haven't had as much time as I expected. Considering no one else is waiting to play perhaps I might take another week? My weekend is coming up here and I could be finished by, say, the 22nd.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2016, 05:12:35 am »

Don't see anything blocking you.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2016, 09:30:11 am »

Sounds fine to me, I don't mind. 

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2016, 09:58:13 pm »

Onul, a particularly quiet dwarf, has become king after a "polite discussion with local rivals."

Considering that ever possible entrance has been closed, Onul couldn't possibly have discussed anything with anyone. He could only have talked with the rest of us. This leads me to believe that, yet again, a major decision was made without any input from yours truly. A secret meeting was held, in some secret chamber, while I was busy planting the quarry nuts. The future of dwarven civilization is at stake, and you fail to consult the leading dwarven chemical scientist? Bah! We deserve whatever comes of this.

My name is Salmeuk, and I am a genius. Four major discoveries in Dwarven chemical engineering can be directly attributed to my work with profane sludges, including the designs for multiple poison-delivery systems simple enough for the average dwarf to use. I have been awarded hundreds of grants, and I would have been awarded hundreds more had I not been captured and thrown into the goblin pits. I thought imprisonment would be a momentary distraction, not the decades-long ordeal it came to be. Even brilliance such as my own couldn't shine past the slick, stone walls of the prison pits, and I slowly wasted away without paper or equipment.

Upon escape, we discovered that us dwarves were the last of our kin. I will admit to experiencing some dark thoughts. I resisted using my emergency chem-capsules, however, and trekked many miles to this muck-covered hillside. We called the outpost Beronam, "Earthshimmered," and things were alright for a time. One particular dwarf took charge, Eva, and as we carved out a minute existence in the evil backwoods of the goblin kingdoms I couldn't help but feel the itch. What is yet another itch among hundreds, you might ask? Beyond the mites and the fleas, the cat-scratches and the muck-scars, the splintered chairs and the sandpaper beds, I felt the itchy compulsion to experiment. To progress. To perform science.

I was just setting up my hidden lab when this Onul business started. So while I was denied my right to a fair say in these going-ons, I am furtively excited that they will provide just the distraction I needed to set things up in privacy. The pig-iron giant poses only a slight roadblock to my studies.

In related news, the nobility have shifted their roles around a bit after the regal announcement.

King Onul told us a little about himself at the crowning ceremony, which was held in the absolute squalor of our dining room.

He was also gracious enough to inform us of his new needs as king.

The nerve! The others quickly capitulated, however, and we set to work on some new rooms.

And so it goes. On our way in, I spotted a strange, blue muck I have never once read about in any scientific compendium. There's grey ooze, black muck, a variety of green slimes, and oozing sludges of all colors, but a blue muck? It's unheard of! I have a feeling that, should I get my hands on a sample, things might change for the better around here. Permanently.

----

If you want to be dwarfed, let me know. Including the King!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2016, 11:32:06 pm »

An update? Neat!

A king? Great!

Man that king has lot of jobs. And is humble!
...Or maybe not.

Tempered bro-oh, Orichalcum. Maces, breastplates and slabs for likes? Not the best things to have with dead civ in first spring. If the fort runs enough along, it will work out, but till then it'd be a shame to atomsmash a dwarf with decent mind.

Blue muck? Oh right. Evil embark. Fun.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2016, 12:06:52 am »

Eva:  I'm not going to lie, but when Onul pulled us all aside to discuss a formal monarchy, I initially thought he was jokiung, or speaking of hypotheticals.  However, then he sttarted making minor demands, and that he be declared such, else he would ensure that bit by bit, we would all die off without him.  Given he's the last dwarf I know of who retains medical knowledge... well, I couldn't disagree with the danger of not supporting his demands.  I'm not too happy about having a totalitarian like him in charge, but perhaps I can make the most of the situation.  He is handsome, at least.  So maybe... I can make the most out of this. 

Meanwhile, one of the farmers has been rather secretive of late, and complained that he missed the meeting wherein we were politely threatened.  I can't help but feel a bit of loss of faith in dwarfanity by this whole thing.  But... I still have hope for the future. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4