Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Update 1.15 - 50 SIGNS! Never get lost in a succession fort again  (Read 8655 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Update 1.15 - 50 SIGNS! Never get lost in a succession fort again
« on: September 16, 2016, 09:24:54 am »

::: NEW LINUX VERSION - V1.13 - By Urmane :::
::: Current version: V.1.13 - Updated 5th August 2016 - For DF.43.03 :::
::: The MDF GUI requires Microsofts .NET-Framework 4.0 :::
::: Changelogs: V1.01 ::: V1.02 ::: V1.03 ::: V1.04 ::: V1.05 ::: V1.06 ::: V1.07 ::: V1.08 ::: 1.09 ::: 1.10 ::: 1.11 ::: 1.12 ::: 1.13 :::

::: If you like the content I produce and enjoy playing Masterwork, consider supporting it on Patreon. :::
::: It allows me to do regular updates and add more content more quickly. :::

::: Read up on future goals, vote on polls and make suggestions. :::
::: Or join community projects that add new mod content! :::

Update 1.15

New features:
- 50 sign posts.
- Fixed the sand errorlog, should have been sand_tan.

Spoiler: example in a fort (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: List of signs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: All signs build (click to show/hide)

Yep... as if the carpet with its 20 sub-types wasn't enough, now you can build... a sign. A sign costs 1 wooden log, and can be transformed into one of 50 different sub-types. Be it to mark a passage with a forgotten beast, show the way to your hospital, or distinguish different stockpiles. I think I covered almost everything. I hope these make your forts visually a bit more interesting; make succession and community forts easier to understand; and help people not lose track of their stuff, if they haven't played in a while.

I know that it's a rather simple update, but adding graphics to DF is still a nightmare. ;) 200 entries in the override file, 50 reactions, 50 buildings, the sign-tileset... just for signs. But it works, I'm quite happy with how they turned out.

Future plans: Still trying to figure out which playable race to do next, or if I should stick with smaller utility updates for now. Some people are still reporting crashes, partly related to TWBT, others unknown. :/

Community feedback: Put a new poll up about the races. :)

Patreon: 2 new patrons this week, both pitching in $3. Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Meph
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:48:33 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Update 1.15 - 50 SIGNS! Never get lost in a succession fort again
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 09:51:22 am »

i miss the gnomes of ye-olde MWDF. id play the more recent version if they were ported, but that seems like an impossibility, with indigophoenix being absent maybe?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 09:52:58 am »

I can't update them, I dont even know how half of their content works. RAWs I could figure out, but not how the scripts interact.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

123nick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 09:59:22 am »

I can't update them, I dont even know how half of their content works. RAWs I could figure out, but not how the scripts interact.

yeah, that is a problem. they have so many scripts, which indigofenix wrote and not you i suppose?  so updating what would be hard to understand would be impossible. :(

supper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 10:12:08 am »

Very cool addition, Meph. Thanks!

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 11:39:33 am »

I'm not really much into the Succession Fort thing, but the signs do look cool so I will probably use them or the aesthetics alone.

Thelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 12:08:47 pm »

I will use them for sure. We can never be enough well organized in this game!

Thanks Meph. ;)

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 12:43:45 pm »

They look great.

I was always wondering why we dont have signs already? :)

Meph btw, would it be possible to build simply a "Letter" like a display stand?
A jobs would change the "*" sign into given letter(say shift+s gives "S"), so we could actually construct stone words in our forts?
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 01:19:04 pm »

They look great.

A jobs would change the "*" sign into given letter(say shift+s gives "S"), so we could actually construct stone words in our forts?
Sure, thats very easy to do and does not even require TWBT... but it takes forever to write anything with it.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 04:28:17 pm »

They look great.

Sure, thats very easy to do and does not even require TWBT... but it takes forever to write anything with it.
You are right, but with the writing once on the wall, I don't think people will constantly change "Food Industry" into something else ;)
I doubt that anyone will write a poetry in their forts with it anyway... but you might never know.
It's Dwarf Fortress after all.
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 11:56:35 am »

The update seems to have broken most tilesets on my machine. Or at least the selection menu for them. The absolute vast majority of them are defaulting to Aesomatica, with a small handful of exceptions.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 05:18:08 pm »

They look great.

You are right, but with the writing once on the wall, I don't think people will constantly change "Food Industry" into something else ;)
I doubt that anyone will write a poetry in their forts with it anyway... but you might never know.

I dunno, dwarf poetry would be short, right?  Haiku!  That would be doable. 

And kobold poetry would be either one word or abbreviations.  BGSKGD!  (translation: Big Goblin, Small Kobold, Goblin Die!)

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 02:12:17 am »

I dunno, dwarf poetry would be short, right?  Haiku!  That would be doable. 

And kobold poetry would be either one word or abbreviations.  BGSKGD!  (translation: Big Goblin, Small Kobold, Goblin Die!)
Suddenly I got a feeling as if I just suggested an entirely new era of FUN unknowingly...
...breach into hell and write down your name next to the chasm...

This will get ugly :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 04:00:02 am by Evans »
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 12:52:51 pm »

The update seems to have broken most tilesets on my machine. Or at least the selection menu for them. The absolute vast majority of them are defaulting to Aesomatica, with a small handful of exceptions.
Yes. Yes I did that. -.- It's an easy fix, but yeah, comes from updating the tileset plant files while being tired. I copy+pasted more than just the raws, I did copy paste the data folder too. *facepalm

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 07:05:22 am »

Signs are good.  In the earliest version releases, you had the massive Chapter Headings for Metalworks, Library, etc. but they took up so much room hardly anyone ever used them.  Does the new release still have a loo?  A wooden sign, a lump of charcoal, dwarves could leave graffiti in the bathrooms with Notes.    … eh, early RL morning post, I need another cup of coffee …   :)
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)