Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [MASS EFFECT 1] I'm Cmdr. Shepard and this is my favorite LP on the Citadel  (Read 11037 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

Mass Effect is a trilogy of action RPG games very near and dear to my heart. It primarily plays as a third-person shooter, but incorporates RPG elements and branching dialogues with a vast sci-fi universe, and allows you to import saves from one game to the next and create your own story from beginning to end.

I actually cried when I beat the third game, so what better way to preserve the experience than by doing it all again as quickly as possible, ruthlessly picking apart every little scene in text-and-picture format? :P

Here is our protagonist, Lieutenant Commander Dean Shepard:

I wanted to play a male Commander Shepard, because thus far I've only experienced the game as a female Shepard (or "femshep"). The primary difference is in our romance options for all three games, but there's other, minor differences here and there.

Primarily in the quality of the voice acting. I don't blame Mark Meer but nobody can hold a candle to Jennifer Hale. Hale does an especially good job of giving a unique voice to a character whose personality and backstory are decided by the player.

As for the face, I... I tried, guys. Every human character in ME1 looks like a smooth, shiny potato.

I took the liberty of picking our class, personality and background, as well.

Spoiler: Classes (click to show/hide)

Our psych profile and background change the flavor text and dialogue throughout the series, and we can also get some short missions depending on what we pick.

Spoiler: Background (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Psych profile (click to show/hide)

Table of Contents

Intro: I'm Commander Shepard

Eden Prime, Part 1: Heck in a handbasket

Eden Prime, Part 2: Alas, poor Nihlus

Citadel, Part 1: Reasons why the Council sucks

Citadel, Part 2: Shepard shoots up a nightclub

Citadel, Part 3: A Song of Volus and Friendzones

Artemis Tau: Saving Private Liara

Interlude 1.1: I'm Serious About The Nazi Thing

Interlude 1.2: Quarian History Lessons

Noveria, Part 1: Planet Of The Weebs

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:00:09 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: [MASS EFFECT 1] I'm Cmdr. Shepard and this is my favorite LP on the Citadel
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 10:24:49 am »

Spoiler: Spoiler'd for hueg (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:33:49 pm by itisnotlogical »
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 09:04:44 pm »

So, are you trying to go for a more neutral path? It's been a while since I played ME1 but you don't seem to be picking a whole lot of paragon or renegade options.

Also, good pick on the Soldier. It might sound boring, but it's a solid all-round class. Once you get to ME2, you'll love having assault rifles again.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:20:51 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 09:30:02 pm »

Put the updates in spoilers. I makes it way easier to browse. Anyway, could I convince you to try and become the most incompetent Shepard possible, while still being a completionist?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 09:31:57 pm »

So, are you trying to go for a more neutral path? It's been a while since I played ME1 but you don't seem to be picking a whole lot of paragon or renegade options.

Also, good pick on the Soldier. It might sound boring, but it's a solid all-round class. Once you get to ME2, you'll love having assault rifles again.

I'm planning on letting the thread make major decisions (Virmire in particular), if interest ever gets to that point. If not I'll probably go Paragon.

A neutral path sucks in Mass Effect since you need pretty large amounts of points to pick the best resolution to some situations.

Put the updates in spoilers. I makes it way easier to browse. Anyway, could I convince you to try and become the most incompetent Shepard possible, while still being a completionist?

Given my gameplay in the next update (which I'll finish transcribing sometime later tonight), our Shepard's already kind of a dingus. :P

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 09:37:14 pm »

A neutral path sucks in Mass Effect since you need pretty large amounts of points to pick the best resolution to some situations.
But that is what makes it interesting. Also, ME2 at least has some special options if you go mostly neutral.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 09:40:50 pm »

But that is what makes it interesting. Also, ME2 at least has some special options if you go mostly neutral.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:40:32 pm by itisnotlogical »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 12:10:35 am »

When we last left off, a Prothean beacon had been found on Eden Prime, garden world of the Alliance. This miraculuous discovery holds unknown technological secrets of a vast, ancient empire, but all is not well: Eden Prime is under attack by forces unknown. Nihlus, Dean Shepard, Kaidan Alenko and Corporal Jenkins suit up to defend the colony and recover the beacon...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:07:37 am by itisnotlogical »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 12:31:55 pm »

Last we left off, Commander Shepard and Kaidan Alenko rescued Gunnery Chief Ashley Williams, a soldier stranded and fighting for her life on Eden Prime.

Meanwhile, Nihlus encountered the mysterious second turian that Dr. Manuel mentioned, at a spaceport ahead of our heroes' position...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 03:58:13 pm »

Keeping an eye on this. Liking it a lot so far.

I've always wanted to play Mass Effect, I've just never had anything that could run it. :v
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 07:27:28 pm »

Couple of things?

First, you do have access to weapons other than the assault rifle. Soldiers can use them all with reasonable amounts of skill.
Second, you missed out on some stuff Powell can give you. It isn't much, but it could come in handy.
Thirdly, go romanceless :D

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 07:42:59 pm »

nuuu.

Romance everyone! Shepherd must not stop until every love interest is at his knees!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 08:11:33 pm »

Romancing everyone doesn't work, sadly. They find out and confront Shepard, and you're forced to pick one :P

Besides, the options in ME2 are better.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 09:57:00 pm »

A quick note about sidequests, since it's going to be relevant in the next couple of updates:

School's coming up shortly, so if I want to finish the game and LP without a hiatus I'll probably have to cover only a few sidequests. I'll have an update devoted to Citadel sidequests that'll be the one after next, but beyond that I only really have specific stuff to say about Citadel: Signal Tracking and UNC: Rogue VI. If anybody has a specific sidequest they want to see, now's the time!

If I end up playing a sidequest but don't have anything special to say about it, I'll probably put it in video form.

Couple of things?

First, you do have access to weapons other than the assault rifle. Soldiers can use them all with reasonable amounts of skill.
Second, you missed out on some stuff Powell can give you. It isn't much, but it could come in handy.
Thirdly, go romanceless :D

I can use them, yes, but I had the most points in Assault Rifle at the moment. I also forgot that crouching and firing from cover makes any weapon very accurate, regardless of training.

nuuu.

Romance everyone! Shepherd must not stop until every love interest is at his knees!

I actually wanted to cheat on Kaidan with Liara in my first-ever playthrough. But I didn't realize that the end of the game comes immediately after the Feros-Noveria-Therum chain, so I got Liara last.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 06:22:04 pm »

No sweat about the sidequests, about 90% of the first Mass Effect's side content is abysmal anyway. I'd really rather avoid the unpleasant memories myself.
Pages: [1] 2 3