Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting Goblins to reproduce at a faster rate  (Read 1189 times)

grendelfreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting Goblins to reproduce at a faster rate
« on: September 16, 2016, 06:56:14 pm »

I'm trying to get goblins to reproduce at a faster rate in a world that is post-generation but I am not seeing the results I expected.

What I have done is export the legends for a world in order to record the population numbers, then in creature_standard.txt for the saved world for goblins change [MULTIPLE_LITTERS_RARE] to [LITTERSIZE:10000:20000] and then change the child tag to [CHILD:2]. I then let a fort run for four years and again exported the legends and compared the population numbers.

I was expecting the goblins to reproduce like extremely frisky rabbits but there has been no major population increase like I expected, in fact their numbers only increase by 5 goblins in 4 years.

Any suggestions on what I am missing?

EarthboundFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Goblins to reproduce at a faster rate
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 07:01:01 pm »

I think, though it's been a while, that those tags only apply for areas loaded into memory. So if the goblins aren't somewhere that's under the eye of the player then you might not be getting any results. Best of luck finding a way to get your world swarming in goblins though!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 10:16:28 pm »

He just said he was running a fort tho

My best guess is that you might be changing the raws in the basic raw folder, not the raw folder inside the save file. I do that all the goddamn time. Next best is that the game can't handle numbers as large as 10000 in that tag.

And I know my computer would instantly lock up if 10000 babies pop up at once. I sincerely suggest cutting it back below 100.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 10:19:04 pm »

And I know my computer would instantly lock up if 10000 babies pop up at once. I sincerely suggest cutting it back below 100.

In my experience, it's not too bad.

(I was testing catsplosion after adding the feature to make males pregnant too)

grendelfreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 12:10:37 am »

My reason for wanting such large numbers being born was that Goblins would then take over the world as well as provide massive sieges for me to fight. Also as an experiment I changed the littersize down to 100:200 and used the dfhack command "catsplosion Goblin" when the gobbo's sent 20 units to siege me. I now have 1200 Friendly baby goblins crawling all over the surface. Didn't even have much impact on FPS.

EDIT: Destroyed the enemy goblins but the babies are still hanging around plus the "siege" tag is still present. Now I have to decide whether to out-wait the siege or order my military to kill 1200 babies. Sometimes I think this game turns me into a monster.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 12:26:49 am by grendelfreak »

grendelfreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 02:47:33 am »

Update: I ordered my military to kill all the babies hoping they would leave once enough were dead, but the siege flag didn't disappear even when all goblins were slaughtered. I saved before giving the order so i'm rolling back and just going to wait out the siege. The Dwarven Science continues!

grendelfreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 02:27:16 am »

This is for posterity and for anyone else interested in doing something similar.

I waited until the Goblins were adults, of which about 500 out of the 1200 remained due to going berserk and falling off stuff (Note: ramps are bad for babies), but they were still listed as friendly. Caravans were also friendly towards them. I realized that I was getting no more sieges or ambushes, plus every forgotten beast was entering through the caverns so I am assuming that something is bugged. I then abandoned the fortress and reclaimed and finally the Goblins were classed as hostile. They wouldn't attack the Dwarves, presumably because they were untrained civilians but they would fight back if you aggressed first. In legends these Goblins are listed as belonging to a particular civilization but don't seem to count towards the total population of that civilization, though they increase the total number of Goblins listed as alive.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 04:12:53 am »

You might want to play a bit with other stuff as well.

Try to change their personalities so they would greatly value family and romance and they should get married (and have kids) more often.

In my games in MDF which I usually play with Orcs, Succubi, Pandashi, White Tigermen and Greater Badgermen, goblins get usually wiped out during the worldgen.
Any successful way to make them breed faster is welcome, same for kobolds (they too get trashed).
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

grendelfreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 05:57:28 am »

Thanks i'll have a look into that.

On a side note I discovered that hundreds of untrained Goblins can still be a threat to 20 candy-coated Speardwarves. It turns out that if you attack a single Goblin the rest in the immediate area jump in to fight. I now have 19 otherwise legendary warriors missing lips and teeth and ears along with the odd eye, likely because Helms don't cover those specific parts of the body. They also killed one of my Dwarves because she passed out from exhaustion and punched her until her foot exploded into gore and bled out.

So if you want a new type of Danger Room/ Live-Fire Exercise just use my method and you'll have the hardiest, best trained and emotionally dead Dwarves in existence.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 06:29:54 am »

Yes I have noticed that yesterday as I sent 2 elephant men clad in full masterwork plate set against 100 white tigermen.
It seems that any attack made against a creature depletes it's stamina, even if it misses - my 5 tonne elephant men passed from exhaustion and had their limbs and heads bashed through full plate by copper maces.

Good thing I had a backup squad armed with artifact weapons coming to the rescue.

It seems that swarming is currently THE BEST tactic there can be - 40 weak creatures attacking one powerful can tire it out and then beat it into submission just by sheer number of punches.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()