Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Dual Universe: Space Sandbox MMORPG - Beta out  (Read 21921 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Universe: Shores of Hazeron "Done Right"? - Kickstarter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 06:24:08 pm »

Funding update!
Dual Universe's kickstarter has secured €380,591 out of €550,000 in funding with 20 days left. That's roughly 69% of the way to the goal.  I added a little kickstarter tracker widget to the bottom of the OP if anyone wants to see that. According to the site the widget is from, the kickstarter is trending towards 170% of the goal, but that's not an accurate estimation, as it's only based on the current amount of funding.

It looks to me like it can either be successful or not, but either way it'll be close.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:35:34 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 06:46:55 pm »

im fine with voxels as long as it isnt just square blocks. those give me motion sickness. which is the main reason i've never been able to enjoy minecraft/starmade/scrumbleship

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 06:56:10 pm »

Square blocks give you motion sickness?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 07:39:53 pm »

Square blocks give you motion sickness?

yeah, i've played plenty of skyrim and others but for some reason minecraft gives me motion sickness. i've tried to disable the options that are usually related to the thing but still i got moments where i felt sick after long gameplay sessions. so i decided to just stick to other games.

it only happens with 3D block based games tho. i'ven ever played Space Engineers so i doubt i would have problems with Dual Universe either. i dont know how it happens.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2016, 07:42:38 pm »

I'm rather resistant to motion sickness after playing so many games since I was born, but Minecraft and a few others can make me feel a bit sick or dizzy depending on FOV, UI scaling and Head bobbing.
But in 98% of cases it's due to FOV. It will either make me feel a bit dizzy/light-headed, a bit sick, or just very annoyed (which was the case with No Man's Sky, for instance).
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 08:42:17 pm »

More funding updates! Yay!

At this point, it's looking like it'll fail to get funding. The project has been consistently getting less money pledged each day, and even if it got about a thousand more than it's been getting per day recently, every day until funding stops, it'll still fail. The Kickstarter tracker thing's projection (not trend) points towards unsuccessful funding, as well.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 09:35:33 pm »

It has to be done to be done right
Shoes...

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 10:32:19 pm »

Okay so, I'd just like to point out that I'm not really a diehard proponent for Dual Universe. It's just something I'd like to get funded, but I don't necessarily believe in every single thing the developer says. My "tactic" of getting hyped for games has worked for Starbound, No Man's Sky, Stellaris, Beyond Earth, and more. Sure, some of the games didn't exactly live up to my expectations, but in teh end I still enjoyed every game.
Except NMS. But I bought that a week after release after being very obviously against it in the NMS thread pre-release.

But regardless.

As I said, while it looks cool, the budget and the amount of features not even on the table has me immediately skeptical and apprehensive. You can see, in your first picture, some mounted turrets; what would those turrets even fire against if combat isn't a base part of the game?
Well, while the ship-to-ship combat as a stretchgoal is definitely a strange choice, there almost definitely is combat (vague, I know). In their explanation for the grids feature they did mention fighting for this kind of stuff. So while you may not have combat between capital ships or fighters, you probably will have personnel combat.
Quote from: Their Kickstarter
With territory comes combat ...
So there definitely is combat. Question is to what extent exactly. We just know that without the stretch goal/post-release updates, it'll be entirely ground-based at the very most.

But yeah. Being skeptical is perfectly fine. I talked about maybe backing it myself, but honestly, I don't think I would now. It's not because I don't necessarily fully trust the developers, it's just that the risk, whatever it is, isn't worth early access/$10 off.

It has to be done to be done right
Okay, this is stupid. It's a figure of speech. Besides, I'm talking about the design here, which is already done.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 10:55:10 pm »

While the premise is good, quite a few things about this project scare me off.

Notably 1: the actual funding goal is too small.
2: no ship to ship combat in release goal.
3: Persistent universe with voxels
4: NPCs are basically 'not included' other than basic ones.

Quite frankly, the NMS flop also hurts this, and to a smaller extent the continuing SC drama (though it has far lessened since they have shown off a bit more).

Of course, after playing Hazeron for so long, you really end up learning that there really is no game like it, and stuff like this that people may think of as a Hazeron replacemen... but if you look down deep you realize theres just no way they can do it with what they have / are asking for.  Dont look to things like this as a Hazeron replacement.  Look at it as a possible Space Engineers replacement, or another Star Made, etc, with simply a persistent universe, with all the scaling issues that come from that.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 11:00:00 pm »

Oh, yeah. The title of course, isn't 100% accurate.
This game already differs from Hazeron in a lot of ways. It's just that out of all the games I could think of, it felt most similar to a more cohesive version of Hazeron.

Hazeron's more so a game about, well, the galaxy in general. Dual Universe seems to intend to be way more of a MMORPG, versus the more grand-focused Hazeron.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2016, 12:05:59 am »

Oh, yeah. The title of course, isn't 100% accurate.

Yes but that is how you do titles in Bay12games.

You pick a few games remotely even similar to it that are popular here.

So Shores of Horizon would be: "Dwarf Fortress in Space" :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 12:24:31 am »

It can't be, someone gave that title to Aurora... and Rimworld... uh...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2016, 12:36:03 am »

It can't be, someone gave that title to Aurora... and Rimworld... uh...

Shores of Horizon: If Dwarf Fortress had a baby with Aurora and Rimworld was the best man.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2016, 12:56:15 am »

So you can't blame me, you have to blame the Bay12 community as a whole! I'm just a victim here!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2016, 04:58:47 am »

I didn't even notice that Neo wrote "Horizon" instead of "Hazeron."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9