Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Dual Universe: Space Sandbox MMORPG - Beta out  (Read 21551 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Universe: Shores of Hazeron "Done Right"? - Kickstarter
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2016, 08:47:35 pm »

"Everyone playing in the same, single universe"

*names it Dual Universe*

Looks really promising though.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2016, 08:58:41 pm »

Looks really promising though.

Don't kid yourself.

$560,035 goal
Our 25 people team
ESTIMATED DELIVERY Dec 2018
We have set for ourselves an ambitious fast release cycle. We may encounter unseen problems that could delay our schedule. Unless what you do has already been done before countless of times, you can never be sure how much time it will take.
100% of the funding will go to the development of Dual Universe, more specifically to pay the developers & artists.

If they didn't bother to pay taxes, and were somehow able to complete the game in just two years, unless they acquired a shit-ton more funding, they would be able to pay each member of their team $560,035 / 25 / 2 = $11,200.70 per year. That's absurdly low, and it would be even lower after they took taxes (and kickstarter's cut) out.

Of course, they're not going to reach their goal anyways.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2016, 11:16:09 pm »

Uhm, assuming rent would be around 500dollars they'd still live pretty lavishly. I'm living on 420dollars a month and I drink a ton of soda and also have cash to buy games.

They're living in Paris so idk about rent, but guessing not that high if they've managed to score ownership over an apartment. Though I've heard how insanely high rent you Americans have.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2016, 11:26:10 am »

ah ah ah, 500$ rent for a 25 person commercial appartment in the Center of Paris ?
Just look at the prices : http://www.seloger.com/list.htm?surfacemin=250&idtt=1&idtypebien=7,8&ci=750115&tri=a_px
Basically 7 000 $ per month for 250+ m² (minimum for the team). :p

writing shit :/
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 02:09:11 pm by IWishIWereSarah »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2016, 11:38:21 am »

Game looks interesting, but I would have to agree the funding goal seems pretty low for a game like this. Maybe they have an alt source of funding and this is just a supplement?

Five hundred a month? I'm looking at $750 minimum for a one-person apartment or studio, before utilities. Hurray America, hurray Wisconsin.  ::)

Just seems like another company dangling the tail of the dragon at us and hoping we'll throw money to keep the chase.

One reason rent is so high in the US is property taxes. A little two bedroom house I rent for $800 a month I have to pay $1800 a year in property taxes (no tax exemptions for rentals, only if the owner is living there). Throw in insurance and regular maintenance (including sewer maintenance because it's an aerobic system so I have to constantly put in tablets and have it inspected - traditional septic systems are illegal here) and I really don't make much on the investment. Something like a 5% return. Then sometimes I have to evict people and conduct major repairs because they stop paying rent and trash the place. Been thinking about just selling the place.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2016, 12:47:09 pm »

ah ah ah, 500$ rent for a 25 person commercial appartment in the Center of Paris ?
Just look at the prices : http://www.seloger.com/list.htm?surfacemin=250&idtt=1&idtypebien=7,8&ci=750115&tri=a_px
Basically 7 000 $ per month for 250+ m² (minimum for the team). :p
No, 500$ rent for a oneman apartment. 7 000$ divided by 25 equals 280$? So didn't you just offer a really good option, giving them even more to live off of?

But yeah, for making a game I guess the funding is poor. But if I can live with 420$~ I am sure they can handle living with even more than that, if making the game is all they cared about as long as they had money for food and rent.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:49:50 pm by Exerosp »

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2016, 02:08:11 pm »

No, Exerosp is for a commercial place in Paris.
Nobody lives in the center of Paris, everybody just commutes for 1-3 hours per day, over there. :/
And about pay, the minimum salary before taxes is 20 000 $, per person. That's the legal minimum.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2016, 03:05:36 pm »

No, Exerosp is for a commercial place in Paris.
Nobody lives in the center of Paris, everybody just commutes for 1-3 hours per day, over there. :/
And about pay, the minimum salary before taxes is 20 000 $, per person. That's the legal minimum.
Then I understand! I really shouldn't butt in when I don't know much about Paris. If the game can do a oneup from Shores of Hazeron I wouldn't mind it though!

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2016, 09:02:28 pm »

As much as i'd like this to succeed i just cant think of how they will manage to solve all the problems transitioning what they have now to an MMO. The MMO bit is the hardest part, complicating everything and bringing in a host of new development problems.

Im honestly happy they arent going the "self hosted survival servers" route as we really need some single shard love, but at the same i cant imagine its helping them much.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2016, 10:03:29 pm »

Just seems like another company dangling the tail of the dragon at us and hoping we'll throw money to keep the chase.

This.
Random rant as this game somehow keeps appearing in ads and whatnot:
Don't wanna be repetitive but the more I hear about this game the more I think Miner Wars.
"It's gonna be Descent MMO it's going to be the dream of every space sim nerd of the 80's and 90's and their kid!", now you don't even hear that name anymore.

Honestly, this game is seriously weird. Facebook also keeps spamming their ad to me. This is one of the many projects that goes into my "IF the full release comes, and IF people I trust can enjoy it for more than a week, then I might get it".
I mean..I've been burned way too many times and No Man's Sky was the last time I trusted some company without a good deal of knowledge about it.

Just like with KSH and many others, it's way too easy for them to deliver a half-assed Space Engineers and vanish.
And I still haven't heard where their game dev experience comes from, IIRC in the Kickstarter they only stated "we're experienced!"..in that case, I'm too. I've made a Pong game in java and then tried to make the paddle fire projectiles but got lazy. Now give me 500k so I can make No Girl's Universe.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 10:05:13 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2016, 12:12:52 pm »

They've said that they received angel investor money as well. But yeah I am suspicious of this low dollar amount they are going for, as well. A positive is that they do plan a subscription based model once they launch. There hasnt been any good subscription game that I've REALLY wanted to play since I've started making decent money

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2016, 03:49:09 pm »

This sounds like it could be good, but I don't think this is for me. I don't like continuously funneling money into  one game. $240 or more to play a game for two years... no thanks.  I've only played one subscription game ever, then I realized I just really wasn't playing it enough for it to be worth the money.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 10:12:37 pm »

Yet another kickstarter update. Current funding's at $525,548 out of the $560,224 goal. It looks like it's going to just barely make it past its goal.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2016, 12:59:50 pm »

Yet another kickstarter update. Current funding's at $525,548 out of the $560,224 goal. It looks like it's going to just barely make it past its goal.

Good. Then it can avoid trap of "stretch goals".
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2016, 05:38:56 pm »

One of those stretch goals is structure-based combat; another is faces on your characters (as they phrase it, the ability to remove your helmet).
..Yeah. These stretch goals are particularly idiotic. But I don't really care about faces. The combat, though, is fairly amazing in it more or less being a stretch goal. It feels pointless almost to have spaceships and territory control if combat is limited to people shooting each other with assault rifles. I do have some hope that both those stretch goals (once again, namely structure-structure combat) will be implemented regardless, just not as large priorities.

And in other news, it's funded! I have no idea why they needed 500,000 euros to make this when they probably already have money, but whatever. It's funded, which is good news.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9