Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Dual Universe: Space Sandbox MMORPG - Beta out  (Read 21878 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Universe: Space Sandbox MMORPG - Beta at Aug 27th
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2020, 11:59:05 am »

The bots are currently buying all tier 1 ore from players to generate currency, in addition to a small daily allowance. There are also some pre-built ships designed by curators which may be purchased from bots, though it would be cheaper to buy/make the parts and assemble them yourself, so they're not a real threat to the player economy. Other than that all buying and selling is done by players.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2020, 09:51:54 am »

Started a few days ago.  Actually liking this a lot.  Wasn't the biggest fan of the different engines.  Space engines need near 0 atmo and atmo engines require atmo.  So to leave a planet you need atmo engines to carry you to where your space engines kick in.  Or you can use rocket boosters.

I've gotten used to it and my first ship should leave atmo.  Currently fighting at 3400m, just another 600m and the space engines should kick in.  Probably not going to make it though.  Can't imagine trying to take this thing to space with it's tiny cargo full.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's not the rocket chair I was building earlier, but it'll do.  I'll still probably build rocket chair, but as a speeder to carry mining materials.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2020, 10:19:15 pm »

I had a lot of trouble getting into space the first time because nobody explained it to me. Probably because I didn't ask. Anyway...

As you gain altitude and the amount of atmosphere drops, your atmospheric engines and airfoils will become less and less effective, until you reach a certain threshold where your atmospheric engines automatically turn off and your space engines turn on. At this point you need two things to make it into space. First, your space engines must have enough thrust to lift the combined weight of your ship and it's passengers and cargo. Second, you must have enough momentum to keep yourself above that threshold until your space engines are warmed up.

Without rockets, which are absurdly expensive to rely upon frequently, your best chance of reaching space is to go up as high as your atmospheric engines can go while still remaining mostly functional. On Alioth that will be around 2500m. Then fly horizontally with thrusters at 100% until you've reached your max speed, or reasonably close. Next, point your nose straight up as quickly as your airfoils will allow, and just zoom up there as fast as you can go. This is much easier if you use stabilizers, and much more difficult if you use ailerons. And if you don't make it, the answer is usually more engines.

Good luck, and don't forget your space-brakes!

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2020, 10:37:16 pm »

After some tweeking and then more then more then more I finished my first STO space plane.  Most craft you are going to fly in DU are going to be STO planes.  So if you liked doing that in KSP, here's that with combat.

Only thing still original is the cockpit, and only kind of.  The solution to not getting to space was more engines, and lift from more wings.  The old atmo engines were moved to the new rear wings, which are the old front wings.  Was 2 S atmo engines and 1 S space for the forward thrust.  Now it's 1 M space engine, 2 M atmo and 2 S atmo. 

Can swap out the 4 passenger seats for more cargo, or the rear cargo for more seats.  This was also built with the smallest ship core.  So everything after this is just going to be bigger.

You also get KSP like orbital lines you can use when you do get to space (can use them for flying over the ground as well, I guess).  That does mean you have to worry about a form of orbital mechanics.  There's also reentry to worry about.

I like this game a lot so far.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2020, 05:05:41 pm »

I built a hauler early on, to share with my organization. For a long time it was just a medium container with ship parts that were barely sufficient to get it off the ground with a full cargo. So I spent most of yesterday rebuilding it. Now it easily hauls a large container, and looks decent doing it. Though I still need to add some decorations to the interior.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2020, 08:04:09 pm »

Oh wow there was a lot of activity here, sorry Vivalas, the key is gone  :-\.

I like the jagged color border, I should repaint my ship it's too glossy.

But it sure can haul some weight. Been trying to do something interesting with lua for the cockpit etc but it's hard. May I ask what org you joined Folly? I still can't decide what to do orgwise, but even if I don't join that one it would be cool to entertain friendly relations between orgs.

I'm with a few people (like 2 others, plus two wasted keys on twinks for people who didn't like the game, maybe my ingame acquaintance and I will fill those slots soon but it doesn't look like it) of which I'm the most active, near marketplace alioth 17, if anybody wants to join just send me a PM, or if you're in a hurry contact the person ingame that has the 3 tiles east/south-east of the market ;), I got one tile where I allow to place static cores and pickup rocks to anybody who asks. Especially if you are still on sanctuary grinding ore into your nanopack, consider this offer, I can haul however much of your base you want to take with, and there are no strings attached, like I couldn't stop you from moving again if I wanted to. We occasionaly make mining trips, usually everybody mines into their own container for themselves (you can link containers and have a range of up to 1,5km for a bigger inventory, it's super handy, you should try it if you didn't allready). Also tomorrow I'll finally have the ore scanner ready and on board. In some distant future I'd like to do some kind of megastructure near the market, and whoever wants to partake gets their own "wing" in form of a static core attached to the structure... But mostly we're just looking at our industries atm, each for themself.

Same goes for any other b12ers, if you're in an org I'd like to know, you don't even need to tell me your ingame name or something, just the org ^^.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 09:00:05 pm by dragdeler »
let

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2020, 04:25:31 pm »

I'm currently with Desolation. We're based a bit north of Alioth markets, at Lat 52 Long 97. Feel free to come visit any time~

Those ore scanners are definitely a game changer. I scanned a fresh Coal meganode just yesterday, and have already pulled over 900kL out of it. And there's still a ton left down there!
They take a while to scan though. Once you have the means, I definitely recommend getting 3 scanners and mounting them on a broad hovercraft so you can sit it on the intersection of 3 hexes and scan them all at once.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2020, 09:01:15 am »

I picked this up to try it out. Is there a bay12 focused organization I could join up with? I'd be interested in helping out with industry

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2020, 12:48:04 pm »

Closest to that would just be to join dragdeler and myself on his hexes. I'm Enlis1 ingame if you want to add me. One of us can pick you up.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2020, 01:30:38 pm »

Sounds like fun, I'll be on later tonight and will add you. I've done very little beyond the tutorials so far so I could easily pack up and move.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2020, 02:31:22 pm »

I'd be interested in collaboration on a city like thing.  Just what I need, another distraction from starting my next ship.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2020, 08:51:24 pm »

Liking the game a lot, I've never been so hooked on a game before. Love the beautiful combination of KSP, SE, Factorio, all in a single-shard universe.

I'm probably gonna found a shipbuilding company and get some good industry going then mostly haul to run industry and sell ships :) I love the building mechanics

I'd be down to help build a base too, perhaps. I wanna jump into the market first, at least, however. Profit margins are so absurd for most things that just hauling processed ingots back to a factory can generate large sums of cash. I look forward to this weekend and the production of my first ship as well as my L atmos / L space engines.

Oh wow there was a lot of activity here, sorry Vivalas, the key is gone  :-\.

-snip-

That's okay, lol, I bought it. Prolly woulda just sold the key in-game for some quid  :P
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2020, 02:50:29 am »

So I subscribed, what's everyone doing? I think I've outgrown Sanctuary but don't know what do. Anyone have territory on Alioth I can squat on and build a hut?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2020, 10:01:36 am »

I recently donated my old Flying Brick hauler to my organization and started building a new mega-hauler. Medium core, 4 large containers and enough atmospheric parts to lift them with a full load of heavy iron ore. I left enough room on the frame to add space parts later. And I've been making the inside look super slick with voxelmanced glowing honeycomb...though I think I made a mistake building the frame out of polished iron. Way too shiny, and with those glowing elements it's just a visual overload. So I'll probably need to repaint it soon.

I've also been restructuring the industry I oversee to better integrate transfer units, which allows for much greater automation, but has been a major pain just replacing all those lines. Oh, and I've set up a side-line constructing Large Dynamic Cores. They take 3 days to produce, but I've got 3 assemblies running and if I mapped all the intermediate parts out correctly they should have close to 100% uptime for 1 large core each day. The first one comes out this morning, and I'm looking forward to selling it to make back some of the quanta's I invested in cryolite to feed this beast.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2020, 05:43:23 pm »

I've moved from Sanctuary to Alioth.

Spoiler: Last Load (click to show/hide)

Getting T1 is so much easier.  Building under a mountain at Lat 13.5 Lon 35.7.  South East of NQ Sophon's mountain fortress.

Currently converting my mover into a mobile mining throne.

I am Shooer in game.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 05:46:18 pm by Shooer »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9