Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [LINUX] Masterwork Dwarf Fortress for Linux  (Read 55930 times)

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[LINUX] Masterwork Dwarf Fortress for Linux
« on: September 17, 2016, 05:58:18 pm »

Now version 1.30:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12448

DF 43.05
Masterwork Dwarf Fortress 1.30
dfhack 43.05-r1
twbt 5.84
Dwarf Therapist by Clement
soundSense 2016-1_196
Recompiled DF's libgraphics.so as per sventaro's dwarf_fortress_unfuck
various macros and stocksettings I use ;)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 07:40:20 pm by urmane »

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
Re: [LINUX] Masterwork Dwarf Fortress for Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 02:48:44 pm »

Thank you so much!!!
Playing Masterwork on Linux properly is something I've wanted for quite some time now!

Gonna have to say, it's been rather difficult to track down the right packages, since DF apparently loves to use out-of-date 32bit libraries in today's 64bit world, but it does run once everything is finally in place!

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 05:27:37 pm »

;)

Sventaro's package
Code: [Select]
git clone --recursive git://github.com/svenstaro/dwarf_fortress_unfuck.git is the key to those libraries - I used to keep an old libpng around until I found that.

For the rest, I have a series of scripts to build the package now, some get pulled and rebuilt, some just unpacked fresh.  One of these days I'll either mod PyLNP or hack up a tcl/tk script to handle the GUI bits :-)

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 02:28:06 pm »

Updated to V1.17

Virtually all MDF options now turned on in the raws in this list - harder farming, all civs, greedy/picky nobles, etc.  I don't even know what some of them do :-)

Included an updated version of mdf-config, my CLI script to enable/disable options.  Changes base raws, not saves.

Sample execution:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Output of "mdf-config list"

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 06:38:44 pm »

Masterwork Dwarf Fortress v1.19 for Linux

Changes:
- mdf-config moved back to top-level directory
- mdf-config can now handle changing tilesets. Example: ./mdf-config tileset spacefox
- GREEDY_NOBLES and PICKY_NOBLES disabled by default
- Some ITEMTHIEF and SKULKING options disabled by default, to reduce "stolen" messages from caravans

For tilesets, use just the name, don't include any spaces or sizes.  Eg:, just "spacefox" or "phoebus".

This is very alpha, barely tested, but it looks good so far

There is a relationship between civs, fort mode, itemthief, and skulking - enable/disabling would ideally set all the other ones "correctly", but I don't have that figured out yet.  In the meatime, if you intend to play a race, consider enabling/disabling those other options appropriately.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 09:06:38 am »

Is there a chance you might implement the GUI from Windows version or something similar? I could set up a shell script to handle the settings, it is quite some work but manageable. Should not be too difficult to maintain between releases. I am missing the lovely tooltips, which describe the options though.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 08:36:41 pm »

Yay urmane, thank you! I really want to try out some bigger tilesets.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 01:47:04 pm »

Updated.

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 05:33:01 am »

Now version 1.20:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12448

I've been trying this on a 64-bit system (one Ubuntu, one Linux Mint), which is apparently causing issues. Lots of missing libraries. So I'm wondering whether it is possible to roll my own, by taking a clean copy of DF-64 43.03 and overwriting appropriate directories. The raws need doing, obviously, but is there anything else? Or is it more complicated than that?
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 12:14:21 pm »

I've been trying this on a 64-bit system (one Ubuntu, one Linux Mint), which is apparently causing issues. Lots of missing libraries. So I'm wondering whether it is possible to roll my own, by taking a clean copy of DF-64 43.03 and overwriting appropriate directories. The raws need doing, obviously, but is there anything else? Or is it more complicated than that?

I run a 64bit system (Gentoo) - I'd be interested to see what you're missing, as the below may not help you (no libraries installed, except sventaro's).

You can certainly roll your own - here's the script I run to build the linux package (warning, very ugly, needs fixing every release, and lots of old comments) to give you a sense:

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 03:33:25 pm »

I run a 64bit system (Gentoo) - I'd be interested to see what you're missing, as the below may not help you (no libraries installed, except sventaro's).

You can certainly roll your own - here's the script I run to build the linux package (warning, very ugly, needs fixing every release, and lots of old comments) to give you a sense
<snip>

Well, the first thing is libglew1.10; once that's provided in 32 bit, we move onto lacking libpangoxft-1.0. Again, I have the 64 bit version available already. At this point I give up, because by the principle of mathematical induction, I could be playing library whack-a-mole for the rest of my natural life.

Thanks for the code. For rolling my own, it sounds like the thing to do is manually replicate the effect of the last line of the following block:
Code: [Select]
echo /// unpack linux DF, not overwriting and excluding raw, get rid of boguses
# note that "File exists" error from tar are OK
cd $TOP/current/Dwarf\ Fortress
tar --strip-components=1 -xjkf $TOP/DF/current --exclude raw --exclude data/init/overrides.txt
This may be straightforward, or it may be a nightmare. The difficulty, of course, is in working out which bits of MDF are non-functional and can be replaced, and which bits are core to the whole enterprise.
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 04:10:14 pm »

Huzzah! Or tentative huzzah, at least. I deleted ./"Dwarf Fortress", copied in the latest df_linux folder from the Linux LNP instead (renamed to "Dwarf Fortress"), deleted ./raw and ./data/init/overrides.txt from within it, and replaced them with the Masterwork variants. Dwarf Fortress now runs fine, and I can see the Masterwork workshops. I don't know what else I should check, if anything, and cannot prove it won't fall over on its backside after a month's game time. But it does, at least, run without complaining.
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

runedog48

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 03:44:30 pm »

Trying to get this to work with Mint. I'm also missing libglew.

I don't know what else I should check, if anything, and cannot prove it won't fall over on its backside after a month's game time.
Does everything work fine on this? I'm thinking about trying this, but it's easy enough just to use WINE, and I'll receive the benefits of the MDF's GUI config.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:48:33 pm by runedog48 »

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 07:27:19 am »

Sounds like you are missing dependencies - check your local package manager - or perhaps have a different library version.  In that case, either sventaro's "dwarf fortress unfuck" package on  github can be used to build a custom libgraphics.so for DF, or try Wooster's solution.

I was never able to get WINE to work well enough on my computer for DF .... working on a tk version of the gui, but it's very involved.

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 05:51:28 pm »

I don't know what else I should check, if anything, and cannot prove it won't fall over on its backside after a month's game time.
Does everything work fine on this? I'm thinking about trying this, but it's easy enough just to use WINE, and I'll receive the benefits of the MDF's GUI config.

• I'm new to MDF, so don't really know what the experience should be like.
  • I have about an hour every other week to play any DF, so I haven't really logged much game time.
  • That said, it does seem to be running stably. I think I'll be using this approach, although it does have the drawback that I don't get a nice gui frontend.
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17
Pages: [1] 2 3