Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [MAC] Masterwork Dwarf Fortress for Mac  (Read 51121 times)

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MAC] Masterwork Dwarf Fortress for Mac
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 10:03:52 pm »

Oops, oversight there - shouldn't'a left that old dir there.

OTOH, perhaps that's not such a bad idea going forward, leaving a copy of the original MDF objects dir there ...

"./mdf-config list" will show you all the toggle-able and binary options (until I come up with a better name for those), but the only way to see "which way" the toggles are set is to grep and look thru the files.  "grep -C 10 -i greedy_nobles raw/object/*" or something ...

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 12:05:45 am »

Just having the mdf-config script itself is awesome for us mac users. Thanks! I have the config I want (base settings + harder farming) for now, and when I want to add in more challenge, it will be a lot easier.

Isaac23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 12:04:58 pm »

Could someone do a step by step for how to get this running properly? I've unarchived the folder and the starter pack and DF start normally, but I don't know how to change any of the masterwork settings.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 04:50:05 pm »

Unpack it and either use terminal to run "open Lazy\ Mac\ Pack.app" or to "cd" to the df_osx directory and run "./dfhack".  The former will open the LNP GUI - use it only to start DF and Therapist - the latter will directly open dfhack and DF.

To change settings, use terminal to "cd df_osx\ v0.43.03" and run "./mdf-config help".  That script can change some of the settings directly in the raws.  Unfortunately, you'll need to know a little bit about what they do to change them.  Poke around a bit.

Isaac23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 08:30:48 am »

I have it unpacked but none of the commands you listed are working. Is there a way you could explain this to a 5 year old?

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 11:19:26 am »

I have it unpacked but none of the commands you listed are working. Is there a way you could explain this to a 5 year old?

Not really - this is a hack of the base Lazy Mac Pack, and requires the ability to use the terminal to at least "cd", "ls", and run commands, until I can re-package it correctly and create something more integrated with the GUI.  If you are not comfortable with using the terminal, I'm afraid I must advise either using the real Lazy Mac Pack GUI to play vanilla DF, or do some research on terminal basics, enough to understand the commands listed earlier.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 01:39:28 pm »

I know it looks complex, but it really isn't that bad. Unpack the folder to someplace convenient, like the desktop. Open up the folder. Double click on the lazy mac pack icon. Click "Play Dwarf Fprtress!" button at the bottom. This opens up a terminal window, which runs the dfhack program, which starts dwarf fortress and patches itself into the running copy, allowing DF to be scripted.

Now, with the terminal in the foreground, you can open up a new terminal window. Press command-N. Next, we are going to want to get the terminal into the right folder. It starts out in your home directory. You list what's in the directory with the ls command. You change directories with the cd command. Type 'ls' (without the quotes) and hit return now. You should see Desktop listed. Type 'cd Desktop' and hit return. Type 'ls' again (you know to hit return after now, right?) and locate the MDF version of the LMP now, it should be something like LMP-MDF-1.17. Type 'cd LMP-MDF-1.17' or whatever the version is. Type 'ls' again to see what's here, and then cd into df_osx v0.43.03.

Oops, theres a space there! You can 'escape' spaces using the backslash, so to cd into that directory you would need to type 'cd df_osx\ v0.43.03' but here is a quicker way, you can use the tab auto-completion feature of the bash shell (that is the name of the program, running in the terminal, which is interpreting and executing what you type.) Just type 'cd df' and hit tab, it will fill in the rest.

We are almost there!

type './mdf-config' now, and it will give you some brief instructions. At this point, you need to know which options you are trying to change. Play around a bit. Do you have any familiarity with the DF "raw" files? These are what the data files that modders change to add things. they are located in the "raw/objects" directory. You can peruse these text files to gain some familiarity.

Isaac23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 02:36:52 pm »

Don't underestimate how helpful that explanation was. Now I just need to figure out wtf I'm doing. Could you tell me how to access mdf-config list? I've gotten to the point you described.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 03:10:59 pm »

That's where it gets complicated, you have to know what the options are, and what they do. ./mdf-config list shows you everything you can change. There are two types of options, options where a line in the raws is either turned on or off, and options where it is set to one value or another. It helps if you've played Masterwork before.

The script will show you which way an on/off option is set, it is preceded by either yes or no. The toggles aren't like that, the script isn't capable of showing you whether they are switched one way or the other. There is still a yes or no in front of them, but that is just the name of the option as it is in the raws.

If you just want to use the base Masterwork with the default options set, I recommend downloading the PC version, deleting your raw/objects folder, and replacing it with the one from the PC version, which has only the base masterwork options set. The Mac version now comes with EVERY option set.

What are you trying to set or change? What kind of a game do you want? I know what some of the options do, but not all of them, so I can make some recommendations but you kind of need to know, at the very least, what sort of Masterwork game you want to play.

Isaac23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 04:09:43 pm »

I want it to be more difficult than vanilla, with more enemies and creatures and sieges and explosions and awesomeness. I also want to know, can I change the graphics through the LMP menu without it screwing up?

Are there any settings you would recommend turning off for a first time Masterwork player?

Actually, how do I set my civ as dwarf?

edit: I genned two worlds, one as humans one as dwarves. is it random?

Double edit: I get black lines going across all my tiles. I saw El Capitan has issues and that's what I have. Any solution? Would updating to Sierra work?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:44:33 pm by Isaac23 »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 01:17:20 pm »

I do not think you can change the graphics, changing them changes the raws, and LMP just copies over new raws that came with the graphics packs. But I'm not sure about that.

The settings in the latest Masterwork mac pack have every single option turned on. Meaning, for example, all the civilizations from Fortress Defense are turned on, every race that can be is set to "playable" and all options like harder farming, greedy nobles, and so on is turned on. That is why I recommend downloading the basic raws from the windows pack and replacing your raws with those. You are basically starting out in "nightmare mode" difficulty otherwise, and turning off a hundred or so options doesn't sound fun.

When you turn on more than one playable race at a time, you can select them from the civilization screen of the embark selector, depending on who survives worldgen. With so many hostile Fortress Defense races enabled, its a toss up who survives. Different races have different territory icons, so when you are going through the choices you can get some rough idea who is who. Otherwise try an embark with each civ, you can quit without saving by typing "die" into the terminal.

For a more difficult version of masterwork, I would recommend the default setting plus a few of the Fortress Defense races, like Pandashi or Tigermen. Maybe enable more difficult farming, which makes underground crops take twice as long. The Earth Strikes Back is enabled by default, leave it on for early fun, as stones come alive and attack your miners. You can make Tributes to the various stones, and have your miners sacrifice a large gem, or a specific special gem, and the living stones of that particular type will be friendly when that miner wakes them up. Adopt a cuddly diorite or granite!

Not sure about the black line bug, maybe try changing the display system, it's in the data folder, in init, in a file called, erm, either d_init.txt or init.txt, I think the latter one but I can't remember. Change it from TWBT to default or 2D.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2016, 07:04:26 pm »

Quick question, is there a way to change the graphics when using the Mac version?If so, how?

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2016, 06:05:50 pm »

Quick question, is there a way to change the graphics when using the Mac version?If so, how?

Not directly, no.  I'm working on an enhancement to the CLI to change tilesets for linux, but I'm not quite sure it'll work in conjunction with LMP/LNP yet.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2016, 01:34:33 pm »

Updated.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2016, 10:03:52 pm »

Updated to MDF 1.22

Added:
  • Changed PATH_COST from default [1:1:5:25] to [1:2:5:25] - yes, I know it's not supposed to matter, but I was working up some optimized fort designs ...
  • Added some of my macros.  Select-10 is great for trading, and the uniform creates are timesavers, the rest probably need to be redone
  • Added stocksettings/Dye directory with stockpile settings that are color-specific ... though they might be causing crashes ...
  • Added my own custom_professions.dtp and gridviews.dtg (which may not be useful) in the Utilities/DwarfTherapist/share directory
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:38:40 pm by urmane »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4