Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to combine mods?  (Read 800 times)

IHaveAFewQuestions

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of incompetence
    • View Profile
How to combine mods?
« on: September 19, 2016, 01:29:13 pm »

Can someone tell me how to combine mods?

Pretty please?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to combine mods?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 01:49:02 pm »

If neither mod tries to modify the same file, you can probably just drag the files from one into the other. If both mods have some files with the same names, you will probably want a text editor that can find all the differences and let you merge the differences from the version of the file from one mod into that file from the other mod. For Mac users, I would recommend Text Wrangler. On Windows, Notepad++ looks like it will do this too.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 02:12:58 pm »

The most likely place for a collision (two mods affecting the same file) is raw/objects/entity_default.txt, because this is where reactions, buildings, clothing and weapons are made available to an entity.  Fortunately, you can probably just lump all of the unique lines from each mod into a combined entity_default.txt and go.

For mods that use DFHack, there will also probably be a collision for raw/onLoad.init, because this is where most world-specific DFHack stuff gets initialized.  Things are a bit easier here because the "vanilla" version is to have nothing here at all.  Tack the two files together and it will probably work.

There are a couple other "watering holes" where mods might congregate (TWBT content, modifications to vanilla races, etc.), but the two given above are the most likely.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

IHaveAFewQuestions

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of incompetence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 04:48:08 pm »

The most likely place for a collision (two mods affecting the same file) is raw/objects/entity_default.txt, because this is where reactions, buildings, clothing and weapons are made available to an entity.  Fortunately, you can probably just lump all of the unique lines from each mod into a combined entity_default.txt and go.

For mods that use DFHack, there will also probably be a collision for raw/onLoad.init, because this is where most world-specific DFHack stuff gets initialized.  Things are a bit easier here because the "vanilla" version is to have nothing here at all.  Tack the two files together and it will probably work.

There are a couple other "watering holes" where mods might congregate (TWBT content, modifications to vanilla races, etc.), but the two given above are the most likely.

I get it!

I don't get it.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 05:16:44 pm »

Basically, if two mods don't affect the same files, you can just add all the files in together and probably be fine.

If two mods DO affect the same files, you need to see what changes each makes to the file, and combine those changes yourself.  Something like WinMerge is useful for this.

A common place for conflicts is the entity_default raw file, because this contains the default civilizations and all of their reactions/buildings/items/etc - so if two mods each add new weapons to dwarves, for example, they both need to edit entity_default to make sure dwarves actually use their weapons.  Because of this, if you wanted to combine the mods, you would have to open entity_default and add the changes from both mods manually.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 10:52:36 am »

Which mods do you want to combine?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!