Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bogeymen in my home!  (Read 2677 times)

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
Bogeymen in my home!
« on: September 05, 2016, 12:44:23 pm »

Hey guys, I was working on a nice little home for my peasant dude, and about three quarters away from completely finishing it Bogeymen came and shredded the guy up! How do I assert my camp as a site not to be influenced by the night? Do I have to put down something specific? Or do I have to just keep some people in my site?
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Bogeymen in my home!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 01:56:50 pm »

Hey guys, I was working on a nice little home for my peasant dude, and about three quarters away from completely finishing it Bogeymen came and shredded the guy up! How do I assert my camp as a site not to be influenced by the night? Do I have to put down something specific? Or do I have to just keep some people in my site?
well a roof would work, getting this done first before nightfall saves any early builders from a quick death by bogeymen.
the answer to the second question is, folks will spawn inside your home via ambush, and while having a roof over your head helps it doesn't stop a bandit pack or a night troll from spawning in the sealed off room you made.
so you're never safe just now you have somewhere to retire.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 05:02:55 pm »

Once you name the meadhall, you shouldn't get bogeymen attacking you when you're inside at night. Why not just use companions though? Much faster, and drunks will follow you whatever your reputation (almost always).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:25:27 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 05:39:54 pm »

You can also get entertainers with much less legwork than becoming heroic enough to recruit an army the normal way.

If you can get access to the caverns *cough-no-hell-layer-volcano-tube-glitch-cough* then you don't get attacked by anything while down inside of them, it's one of my favorite parts of building down there besides the silly shit that results from playing around with water, ice, magma, and lumber.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 12:03:49 am »

Once you name the meadhall, you shouldn't get bogeymen attacking you when you're inside at night. Why not just use companions though? Much faster, and drunks will follow you whatever your reputation (almost always).

Yeah that didn't work for me, I named it something an still got attacked.

You can also get entertainers with much less legwork than becoming heroic enough to recruit an army the normal way.

If you can get access to the caverns *cough-no-hell-layer-volcano-tube-glitch-cough* then you don't get attacked by anything while down inside of them, it's one of my favorite parts of building down there besides the silly shit that results from playing around with water, ice, magma, and lumber.

What sort of glitch is that? Sounds like a good idea with the recruits though
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 11:09:06 am »

If there is no hell layer but you do have the magma layer it gives volcano tubes a weird directional loading quality, if you approach them from the northwest going southeast the obsidian tube doesn't spawn and you get a drained volcano punching down to the bottom of the map through any caverns.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 02:06:09 pm »

Yeah that didn't work for me, I named it something an still got attacked.

What sort of glitch is that? Sounds like a good idea with the recruits though

the key here is the word inside, bogeymen don't spawn when your 'inside' which is cause by being under a building or solid construction, which is where my advice of building a roof first comes to play.
usually getting a 2 log wall+ floor above design works, or finding a hill to attach a floor to if you only have 1 hour til night kicks in.
you don't need to turn the site into a meadhall that's for retiring.
you could also just avoid bogeyman attacks all together by being a spider-person which while doesn't stop them spawning does stop them from murdering you, just that you probably stuck doing bard stuff and poetry reading til the sun rises with bogeymen if you didn't build a roof in time.
"body swapping and YOU!"

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 02:30:27 pm »

Just wondering Nidilap, regarding your home: presuming you have the roof up and are working through the night, does the offload place you outside your structure when building? Sometimes that happens and can cause a bogeymen attack. It seems to happen if you don't build in small enough increments.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 09:47:45 am »

Just wondering Nidilap, regarding your home: presuming you have the roof up and are working through the night, does the offload place you outside your structure when building? Sometimes that happens and can cause a bogeymen attack. It seems to happen if you don't build in small enough increments.
nah it keeps you in the exact spot you started building, which depending on if you start under a roof means no bogeymen encounter,
kinda works the same way as waiting/bard stuff/sleeping in a house.
"body swapping and YOU!"

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 07:28:20 am »

nah it keeps you in the exact spot you started building, which depending on if you start under a roof means no bogeymen encounter,
kinda works the same way as waiting/bard stuff/sleeping in a house.

Hmmm, interesting. My structures aren't all that elaborate, so building in small enough increments has been the way so far. Maybe it was an ambush that placed my dwarf in a different spot? I can no longer remember.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 08:03:40 am »

I can see your dwarf being moved to a different spot is if you fast traveled then got ambushed while on your campgrounds.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 07:46:34 pm »

It'd be silly indeed to build a hanging ice and wood fortress inside the empty tube, then accidentally castmeltburning it by approaching from the south, and that's just with 1 load.

Pretty hot application of it, though. Repeated applying of magma on top of cast-ice walls can build you an obsidian home quite fast, I imagine?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 03:53:00 am »

It'd be silly indeed to build a hanging ice and wood fortress inside the empty tube, then accidentally castmeltburning it by approaching from the south, and that's just with 1 load.

Pretty hot application of it, though. Repeated applying of magma on top of cast-ice walls can build you an obsidian home quite fast, I imagine?
Once you load the map with a camp the state is set permanently. Obsidian homes aren't as simple to build though, it's actually easier if you can fly to do the hanging icefloor trick to clear magma on top of a construction and expand that way.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 09:01:41 am »

okay tested constructions and notice your character will move only if you're building a solid wall in the space they are in. probably so you don't load the character in a wall and be trapped forever if caught in an ambush or hostiles nearby.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 12:44:41 pm »

You also move if water of sufficient depth moves into the square you were in, or if you drop a spire into hell sometimes it teleports you up to the surface.