Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I can't get more than 3 races.  (Read 2040 times)

IHaveAFewQuestions

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of incompetence
    • View Profile
I can't get more than 3 races.
« on: September 19, 2016, 01:33:28 pm »

Every single time I generate a world, I only get the elf human or dwarf options.

Is this normal?

Lordsservent-san

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I can't get more than 3 races.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 03:04:20 pm »

No, but it might be different depending on what version you are using. So check your version, and check world yen and/or the Raws to see who's avilable and what the history of the world is like, as it can and will affect what races are avilable to play as.

IHaveAFewQuestions

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of incompetence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 03:15:11 pm »

No, but it might be different depending on what version you are using. So check your version, and check world yen and/or the Raws to see who's avilable and what the history of the world is like, as it can and will affect what races are avilable to play as.

I have no idea what your talking about, mind elaborating?

Lordsservent-san

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 04:03:45 pm »

I have no idea what your talking about, mind elaborating?
I'll try, but it might be a little confusing anyways. In older versions of Dwarf fortress, (0.23a to0.31) dwarves, sleeves and humans were the only races you will adventure with, as they were the only ones who had the tag for adventurers in those versions.

If it's a more recent version, then maybe you just got unlucky with the generation of the work, wiping out the goblins and leaving no elephant men to control. Otherwise, ask someone else, as while I am knowledgeable about this game, I am not an expert by any stretch of the word.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 04:56:01 pm »

You're using an older version. Or, possibly, a variation of the current version that someone decided to cut animal men, etc out from the raws (which apparently someone found themselves using a short while ago). Redownload vanilla or latest starter pack and try again.

If you've given it a couple of goes and there's no animal mam variants available, something's broken. There's no way to get a result like that in the latest version on standard worldgen two or three times in a row.